Can we talk dogs?

sixstringsteve

one more thing to think about is dog size. I've always been a fan of big dogs growing up. In fact, when we went shopping for a dog, we were looking at full-size xolos. We ended up with Fender because of other reasons, but he ended up being the PERFECT size. He's small enough that we didn't have to get a bigger vehicle to take him places with us. He doesn't eat much food, he fits on the couch, he uses a small kennel, I'm stronger than him, yet I can still pick him up and carry him around (or rappel him down a 60' drop in ding and dang canyons if needed:eek:). He's also big enough to be hearty and do things like hike, climb, jump, not get stepped on, etc. I'm sold on the small/medium size dogs for my needs, especially if they're going to be in the house. They're not the most intimidating dogs for guard dogs, but I got him more as an outdoor companion. Size is definitely something to consider.

Tyson's yorkie, on the other hand, is adorable, and a fantastic house dog. Not to say his dog can't handle camping, but I wouldn't want to bring him down a slot canyon, or have him chase me on my mtb. If I weren't so outdoorsy, I could totally see myself with a little yorkie like Tyson's, I love that dog.

One HUGE advantage to a dog is that they're a built-in alarm system (sometimes a bit too sensitive). They'll protect you and your family . They're also aware of emotions between people. I've heard of stories of dogs standing up for kids when they're getting yelled at by their parents and stuff. Dogs don't like arguments in the house, and they'll help you remember when you're out of line.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

fender is an "intermediate" size. He's in-between a small (toy/purse dog) and a "standard". Standard xolos are awesome too. They're not as big as a golden retriever. About 50-60 lbs, same build as fender, just about 1.5x as big. A bit bigger than a healer, a little smaller than a dalmation, but with longer legs. The "standard" size xolos can jump over a 6 foot fence (and I believe it, Fender can jump about 5 feet high). I think fender is part deer. I'd love to watch him chase some deer one day.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
heelers seem to vary a ton in size. my old blue heeler had a very big frame and my current red heeler has a much smaller frame. the funny thing about them is that most people that have had them as a family dog growing up go on to have heelers of their own eventually. they pretty much make you into a heeler family :D

since we started adding pics (it's about time) here is a pic of Denise sleeping in the back of my xj while we were driving back from moab. she just chills in the back while we're wheeling and stands on the console between us sometimes to remind us she's there. she'll even started pawing at my wife's arm -like tapping- to make her pet her
0530091516-00.jpg

this is what she does when i work on my jeep or anything in the garage
photo1.JPG

while i was recovering from sinus surgery
photo2.jpg

i love dogs!

sixstringsteve

cute heelers. My dog does the same thing about standing on the console. He's not as cuddly as your dog, I wish he was.

STAG

On my grind
Btw if anyone has any leads to a red or blue heeler puppy I'd be interested. PM me if you know of any, thanks.

The search is off, say hello to Beer. :D

imagejpma.jpg

imagecybs.jpg

imagedzi.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Congrats chance! I love heelers. Cute fog. Let me know if you want to borrow my puppy training book. Tone to start watching dog Whisperer. :)

STAG

On my grind
Let me know if you want to borrow my puppy training book. Tone to start watching dog Whisperer.

I would actually. I'm going to try my best to get him to be a really obiedient dog and have a couple rules I'm sticking by.

No biting even when playing, zero tolerance.
No human food.
No free-feeding (a bowl of food that is just always kept full) he's on a regular schedule.

sixstringsteve

I would actually. I'm going to try my best to get him to be a really obiedient dog and have a couple rules I'm sticking by.

No biting even when playing, zero tolerance.
No human food.
No free-feeding (a bowl of food that is just always kept full) he's on a regular schedule.

Good rules. One more that I thought was stupid until I implemented it: No tug-of-war. Dogs LOVE tug of war, but in my opinion, it teaches them to challenge your power/authority.

Let me know when you want to get that book, it's sitting right here on my bookshelf. I can leave it on the porch if you want. It's called "how to raise the perfect puppy." And I'm serious about watching the dog whisperer. after about 5 episodes you'll start to realize that the man is a genius and it's not just some Hollywood editing.

STAG

On my grind
Yeah that's good. He's also sleeping in his Kennel at night. He's let out as soon as I wake up but it's just for sleeping arrangements.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust

No human food.

Love the name and great choice for a pup! I did my best on the human food thing and up to a year and a half my Golden NEVER begged for or even gave human food a second thought-- that was until I had my back turned on a camping trip and some kids were making him do tricks for bacon :rolleyes: It was all over after that!

STAG

On my grind
I'd roundhouse kick them. JK, yeah the begging part is one thing but the main reason why I'm choosing that is because of the health reasons. Every dog I know that gets table scraps is out of shape.