Can we talk dogs?

Houndoc

Sorry if this is repeating what others have said, but no time right now to read all 6 pages.

In my opinion (and can speak as the professional here :) some of the best family dogs are as follows:

1) beagles. Small and compact, but without the little dog attitude. Great with kids. Good indoors but tough enough to be out a lot as well. Down side is can be a little barky and as with any hounds have to be careful off leash as they will wander where the nose leads.

2) golden retriever. Much calmer than a lab, friendly and happy. They do take more work to keep them brushed out.

3) labs. Love everyone, playful and enough energy to drive any normal person crazy.

4) standard poodle. Honestly one of my favorites- smaller than lab or goldern, playful but not lab-level crazy. Good with kids. Nothing like the toy and mini poodles, so don't let that scare you. They do need to be groomed/shaved.

There are a lot of breeds that many people think are great, and some individual dogs are, but that I generally do not recommend as family dogs. Pit Bulls, rotties, german shepherds etc fall into this group. Most are fantastic dogs, but not worth the risk around young kids in my opinion.

Feel free to pm any specific quesitons about a breed or care issues.

I'm under seige, and getting hit from both sides that we need a puppy. I'm not at all convinced of this, our last attempt at doggyness ended in disaster. But the boy wants a dog, and my wife wants a dog, and if we can find the right dog I'd be willing. But it needs to be the right dog. I know some of you know dogs, so I'd appreciate any advice for sure.

First off, we're not going to pay much for it, if we pay anything, so I'd prefer it to be something we'd be likely to find at an adoption center or in the pets section of the classifieds - no puppymill puppies, and none of that purebred with papers nonsense. It needs to be a smaller breed to be a good fit in our small house and small yard and small truck, but we're not interested in toy or miniature anything. I'd prefer a low maintenance, low energy, well-behaved and easily trained dog, but we hike and camp and such so a fat shortlegged couch potato won't be a good fit for us. And being in Utah, obviously it's got to be ok with cold winters and hot summers.

Is there any particular breed out there that fits the bill? Or am I asking too much?

STAG

On my grind
I've gotta say Beer has been one of the best dogs I could have asked for so far. He goes to work with me every day, goes hunting with me. Is already practically house trained. (He'll hold it the whole time he's sitting in the truck or in his crate at night and waits for me to take him potty) he'll walk with me right by my side even without a leash and he'll keep right up and won't trip me. Leaves me alone when im driving and doesnt beg when im eating. He's starting to get the concept of using the doggy door and does pretty well with sitting on command if i have dog food for him. He goes up a flight of stairs no problem but seems a little chicken about going down them if there are too many. He's now 7 weeks old. He seems to love everyone but already seems to be loyal to me. He sheds a tiny bit but not enough that I mind and I don't know if/how much that will change with age.

I havnt really introduced him to kids yet I'm going to try to ween him into that.

imagerjw.jpg
imagecqq.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Speaking of dogs, I got the privilege of seeing my 2y/o Rhodesian Ridgeback hit his top tier of running speeds today. It rarely happens that he feels the need to go all out in a run, but when he does it's one of the coolest things ever; he is VERY fast... Just wanted to share. :)

... Dogs do rock.

541cff3a.jpg

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Knowing what I know now, having the dog that I've always wanted (RR), and an extra one in the mix (7y/o Golden Retriever), if I were in a position to replace one or start over I'd go for a male boxer; specifically one whose parents aren't very big. I would love a medium sized boxer, 40-55lbs, dark brindle. Not too big, not too small, short hair, fun-loving, awesome temperament yet decent family guardian, great with kids, sporty enough to love to get out, and lazy enough to not get stir crazy like higher energy breeds (Rhodesian Ridgeback)..

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sami, I've had a few boxers over the years and I love the breed. I have never known one to be lazy though. They are a pretty high-energy dog. I currently have a Lab/boxer mix. She is wound pretty tight.

I also have an American Bulldog. She is definitely a lazy dog. She is pretty bull-headed when she is sees a potential playmate. She wants to wrestle with EVERY animal she can, though not aggressive at all.

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 12

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My brother adopted a male blue heeler/something mix two days ago from a local shelter. So far he has been nice and friendly. He doesn't bounce off the walls like mine do he just hangs out, stays close by and overall enjoys the company. He took a long time to warm up to me and the rest of the family. Any sudden movements in his direction and his tail goes between his legs and he cowers down big time :-\ I can only speculate but I think he'll be much happier now.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Sami how fast did he go?

You know, I'd have no way of knowing without clocking him. From what I can see RR's can reach speeds in the low 30's for short bursts and mid/high 20's for sustained runs; with an incredible amount of endurance and stamina. They will commonly beat out Whippets and Grey Hounds after a few laps due to their superior endurance... Which is a criteria of their breeding requirements to hunt and bay African Lions.

I would love to film him hit his top speeds, it's just so damn cool.

STAG

On my grind
Just a little update, Beer does great with guns, is 99% house/potty trained (uses dog doors freely) and rides great on a flatbed, even only at 10 weeks old. I couldn't ask for a better dog.

Last edited: