Can we talk dogs?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So our beagle/walker hound has lost a good bit of weight this summer. I don’t know how much exactly, but she’s gone from looking plump to looking skinny. Not unhealthy skinny, in fact, quite nice. But it’s typical fat beagle anymore.
She still eats EVERYTHING possible. Is very happy. All the energy of a pup when out camping. Sleeps at home all day (typical behavior). No signs of sickness like puking or diarrhea.
Only thing different in life this year is chickens at home, which means the dog has incorporated chicken poop into her snack choices.
The weight loss for an older (6 years) beagle is odd I think. Everything else normal.
Should I be concerned? Wife and kids think she must be sick.
I’d be happy to have her pass away 🤣
Beagle got a tapeworm 😂

Houndoc

So our beagle/walker hound has lost a good bit of weight this summer. I don’t know how much exactly, but she’s gone from looking plump to looking skinny. Not unhealthy skinny, in fact, quite nice. But it’s typical fat beagle anymore.
She still eats EVERYTHING possible. Is very happy. All the energy of a pup when out camping. Sleeps at home all day (typical behavior). No signs of sickness like puking or diarrhea.
Only thing different in life this year is chickens at home, which means the dog has incorporated chicken poop into her snack choices.
The weight loss for an older (6 years) beagle is odd I think. Everything else normal.
Should I be concerned? Wife and kids think she must be sick.
I’d be happy to have her pass away 🤣
Absolutely needs a vet visit.

shortstraw8

Anyone ever see this in their dog?
No issue last night or this morning until they came in from playing in the yard. He is the only one with the issue and sounds like it could be an allergy.
The protective layer between the eyeball and eyelid seems to not be retracting when he opens his eye.
We have called and left messages with every vet we could find and their emergency numbers/doctors for Utah county but have not heard back from any. All started around 8 this morning.

IMG20231105103528.jpg
IMG20231105103531.jpg
IMG20231105103535.jpg
IMG20231105103538.jpg

Nothing looks out of place in the backyard except for a baseball which happens often from the park next to us.
Our big dog does play rough and I though maybe she smacked him good as she usually boxs everything with her paws
Internet says eye issues are an emergency as they can get worse real quick.
@Houndoc if I can get your opinion on whether some ventricle eye wash would be a good idea?
Other than the eyes he is happy and wondering around, just bumping into things ate his food quick before we thought that might be a bad idea. Sometimes we can see the eyeball and others the protective layer is what we see but he is more prone to keeping them closed and only opens when walking around.
No eye issues from mom or dad
Only other option is at least a 4hr wait in slc is what the receptionist said

shortstraw8

Yes, he has uveitis. More common in felines which fits because we have always said his mom is a cat posing as a dog.
Doc said he doesn't think it is cancer as he has no swollen lymph nodes. We are waiting on blood test results to know the exact variant.
Eye drops have helped so far, so fingers crossed it is just the basic variant, still a potential for blindness no matter which it is.

Tonkaman

My dog has occasionally been favoring one foot for the last week. We’ve looked at her paw several times, but haven’t been able to see anything.

Today the dog jumped up on my daughter and left a deep scratch on her hand. She instantly realized there was something shady stuck to the dogs foot. After a couple minutes of digging into the dogs paw I felt what I thought was the sharp end of a sliver. I barely gripped it with my fingertip and pulled….

A massive 2” long sewing needle came out of her paw!! The whole thing was in there!! 🤯

ID Bronco

I'm sure someone on here loves their pit bull, I mean no disrespect to you (since I don't know who you are). I keep seeing these stories and just can't get my head around it. What's the deal with them going crazy? I have been chased and nearly mauled many times by pits and rottweilers. There are so many great breeds out there why choose these? Real question.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve been hoping someone else would bring this up after all of the recent news articles. I don’t want more regulation in general but if banning pitbulls was on a ballot I’d vote for it in a second. Every pitbull is always “the nicest, sweetest dog” until it’s not!

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I'm sure someone on here loves their pit bull, I mean no disrespect to you (since I don't know who you are). I keep seeing these stories and just can't get my head around it. What's the deal with them going crazy? I have been chased and nearly mauled many times by pits and rottweilers. There are so many great breeds out there why choose these? Real question.

This is a hard one for me. I relate it closely to my gun rights. Should you not be allowed to own a pit bull because those people can't control theirs? No way. Their poor personal actions are not yours to be punished for.

BUT... Big flip flop here.. My guns don't decide to change their behavior suddenly and start shooting on their own. Also, pit bulls do not defend us from tyrants, and did not free us from the crown.

The pit bulls were bred to fight and be aggressive. It's in their blood. It's who they are. 63% of fatal dog attacks are pit bulls.

My experience says that small dogs are MORE AGRESSIVE than pit bulls, and probably bite more often.. but a chihuahua doesn't rip off a leg or face when it bites.

I would be in support of a very strict 1 chance law.. But also don't think they would be followed or well regulated.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Every pitbull is always “the nicest, sweetest dog” until it’s not!
Even the ones at the local shelter have listings like "Super cute and fiendly!"
Then it goes on to say "not good with other dogs or children".

YouDon'tSay.gif

ID Bronco

This is a hard one for me. I relate it closely to my gun rights. Should you not be allowed to own a pit bull because those people can't control theirs? No way. Their poor personal actions are not yours to be punished for.

BUT... Big flip flop here.. My guns don't decide to change their behavior suddenly and start shooting on their own. Also, pit bulls do not defend us from tyrants, and did not free us from the crown.

The pit bulls were bred to fight and be aggressive. It's in their blood. It's who they are. 63% of fatal dog attacks are pit bulls.

My experience says that small dogs are MORE AGRESSIVE than pit bulls, and probably bite more often.. but a chihuahua doesn't rip off a leg or face when it bites.

I would be in support of a very strict 1 chance law.. But also don't think they would be followed or well regulated.

All good points. I agree with the thought process you laid out about not punishing everyone for the actions of a few. So, why choose to own one with so many other great options?

It's like Cody says, why watch a crappy game of baseball when other sports exist?

It's interesting this went directly to banning them. I did not even breach that topic but I can't say I haven't thought it.

One of my employees had my favorite all time bumper sticker. "Punish the deed, not the breed", yes she had two pits. So another question, how do you punish the deed?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
So, why choose to own one with so many other great options?

So another question, how do you punish the deed?

I don't know why they are chosen... but I do think they are sort of demographically for the poor and ghetto. It's super rare to see one in an upscale place.

I don't know how to punish the deed. Better minds than mine should be able to create a fair law.. but it would also have to be followed and implemented well.

I do know many many dogs are 'known' to animal control that continue to be allowed to be kept. I went to court over a pit mix once (witness for animal control). They had issues with a particular dog for years, but no ability to remove it from the home.
I about fed it a .380 one morning in my own back yard.. but a through and though would have hit my boat.. so I didn't.

Tonkaman

…….My experience says that small dogs are MORE AGRESSIVE than pit bulls, and probably bite more often.. but a chihuahua doesn't rip off a leg or face when it bites.
To me this argument is another clear sign of media spotlighting the bad news stories. I don’t think there is good data of how many pit bulls per capital bite vs other breeds.

I’m with Brian, and think small dogs bite far more often than big dogs, but it doesn’t make the news. Granted their bites get fixed with bandaid and not staples.

To me it ALL comes down to training. I’m a proud dog owner of a VERY well behaved dog. That didn’t happen on accident, it took 2 solid years of intentional behavior modification for both the dog and myself.

Fearing Pit Bulls is like fearing people with face tattoos. They could be perfectly nice or they could have had a F***ked up childhood 🤷‍♂️

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My guns don't decide to change their behavior suddenly and start shooting on their own.
This 100%
It's interesting this went directly to banning them. I did not even breach that topic but I can't say I haven't thought it.
I’m not saying that’s the only option or even the best option but it’s how I feel. I think that’s fair 🤷🏼‍♂️