Careers???

81Ramchargerman

What do you guys do? Also, what do you guys make??? I understand if you aren't willing to give that out, but almost being done with school really has me thinkin about what I'm gonna do forever... :confused: What are some careers that don't take tons (or any) of schooling, but you can still make good money. I have really been thinking about getting a degree in statistics, an associates in business and my sigma black belt training edit: (sp), and an on site manager here said I could make well over 100 g's a year. So what do you guys think are worthwhile careers? :confused: edit: My luck I would get the 6 yrs schooling all done, then Yellowstone would erupt, and I would die before I could ever experience financial freedom. :-\ :ugh: :rofl:

Last edited:

JF1

What's your motivation, money or job satisfaction or both? They don't have to be mutually exclusive but finding a job with that combo may take a while.
The Sigma Black Belt credentials used to be a more lucrative and sought after skill but it seems like everyone has them now. It still doesn't hurt to pursue it especially if you can get your company to pay for it.
I think Engineers will always be in demand and should be on your list to consider if it interests you at all. Perhaps public service, government?
The short of it is, do what interests you and you'll be happy.

Joe

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Currently I'm in school full time and work construction part time at $15.00/hr
After I graduate I'll probably have a job as an instructor or something making low pay for a bit while I build up hours, then I want to get into cargo or fire bombing and the money there is really good.

81Ramchargerman

JF1, of course I would prefer a job with both. Mainly, I want a normal job where I can make lots of money and be able to take care of my wife and kids and not have to worry about money. Basically, I think that money would give me job satisfaction because I would be able to make my family happy and not all stressed out. I think that the type of job I was talking bout would be that way??? So I could still spend time with my family and everything.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
81Ramchargerman said:
JF1, of course I would prefer a job with both. Mainly, I want a normal job where I can make lots of money and be able to take care of my wife and kids and not have to worry about money. Basically, I think that money would give me job satisfaction because I would be able to make my family happy and not all stressed out. I think that the type of job I was talking bout would be that way??? So I could still spend time with my family and everything.
Don't we all...

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Only advice I can give is to stay away from jobs that require shift work. It takes years off of your life, makes you a generally cranky person, and screws up your time with family and friends.... Ask me how I know. :rofl:

Last edited:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
81Ramchargerman said:
That's what I thought...after I posted...that would be pretty cool. What education is needed, training, wages?
you'd need a commercial multi engine pilots license, and then a type rating for the specific aircraft you'd be flying. Plus you have to build up hours before you can usually get on a better company like fedEx or to do fire bombing. So for a couple of years you're doing instructing or flying a somewhat shitty job, but you're getting paid to build up your flight hours. As for potential income FedEx starts their lower guys at about $30K or so but the guys flying the 737's make about $200k+. As for fire bombing it depends on the outfit you fly for, my buddies uncle flys for an outfit out of Montana that does it world wide and he brings in about $80K working about 7months out of the year.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
81Ramchargerman said:
What does that mean? Does that mean that even if I go for a job meeting my criteria, I probably won't even really get what I was looking for, I will be corrupted, what???
It's all a process. I hear these dumb commercials on the radio about whatever technical school "You could join the fabulous career as a network administrator making $100,000 a year with just 4 months of training". :rolleyes: Then the next story on the news is how college graduates can't find work.

Sorry ignore me I'm just fed up with my current work situation. Guess that quarter an hour raise just didn't increase the enthusiasm. (been 3 years since they did raises) :rolleyes:
I could B**** and moan but it's hard to be loyal when it's easier to find a higher paying job by leaving than sticking around and putting up with the BS. :mad2:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have two degrees (marketing and organizational communication) and I've applied for a bunch of jobs that require degrees in those fields. Some of which i think I'm dialed for, some of which require 2+ years experience in that exact fields, the ability to disect a bomb and solve world hunger, etc. but start at 11/hour. I can't even get an interview for a job that pays 11/hour? Not that I would take a 10k/year pay cut anyways just to make use of a degree........

You have to work for yourself to make good money, be happy, and have free time when you want it. Thats what I'm working on, but it sure doesnt' come overnight.

Cody

utahxjer

Find something you like, search for it for alittle while if you have to.... I know some guys that make a ton of cash, but they are never home, and I know alot of people that make decent money and get to see their families alot... But the bottom line is you gotta find what's good/right for you...

rrefx

Cody said:
You have to work for yourself to make good money, be happy, and have free time when you want it. Thats what I'm working on, but it sure doesnt' come overnight.

Cody

True, but be careful with that too. I'm self employed, and haven't had more than two days off in a row since the beginning of August. I even had to spend half of Christmas day fixing a problem. I do love being self employed, but the stress can really go up when your always trying to keep working and growing.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Right, it's obviously not all roses. You have to put in the time (obviously) to make things work. Once you build the foundation and get things running smoother, you have to find an exit strategy that allows you to seperate from the business to do things for yourself while still having the business run smoothly. I think that will be the hardest part for me--once I get things running smoothly (if ever) I won't be able to seperate myself from it.

Cody

Caleb

I use to make awesome money shrimping. No schooling, no experience needed (to get on), no special skills needed. However, I was away from my wife for 4 months of the year. To be honest, there isn;t a job out there that you are gonna make a lot of money without a TON of schooling AND working your way up the ladder. When the shrimping company moved overseas (I could have gone with if I really wanted to work in Asia) I was making $350 a day plus bonuses. You wouldn't start at that wage though, I think they started around $100-$150 a day. Still not bad money when the company pays for everything, including food. I really enjoyed the job (I was paid to race a 46 ft. offshore racing boat around) but the time away from my wife was hard. Now I am working for a Digital Printing company as a Pressman. You can make killer money doing it if you are around long enough (I wont be :D) I just dont enjoy the work (I seriously surf the net all night at work, my machines almost run themselves). Starting in June I am going back to school for some computer programming classes. I have gone through one class and really enjoyed it, now I just need to get some more classes and some experience under my belt :D What kind of job are you looking for. Some people enjoy manual labor, some enjoy a desk job, and some enjoy somewhere in between (thats how my job is now). I dont think there is a person out there that would not like to have a job that they get paid awesome money, dont need a lot of schooling, and have a bunch of time with your family. Get in line cause as soon as one person finds that job there is gonna be a HUGE line. I have found it to be more important to enjoy what you do than make a ton of money. Alos, dont think even for a minute that if you make a ton of money you will be happy and enjoy your job. It just doesn't work that way, trust me I have had a ton of crappy high paying jobs. You want the ultimate no skills needed high paying job, go work in a call center. Once you have been there a little while with bonuses, commission, and your salary you can usually clear well over $60K...BUT THE WORK SUCKS.

?JMAMA

Formerly YJMAMA
I am Phlebotomist. I have the fun of sticking people with needle all day long and taking their blood. For some sick reason I love it. :D Plus now my work will pay for more schooling at 100%. I just have to decide how to have enough time for school, two kids, a husband, and wheelin.

If you could do something in healthcare, get a job with IHC. It doesn't matter what you start as, just as long as you're an IHC employee, and they'll pay for you to go to school. It depends on the major, but they pay a min. of 70% and up to 100% for high demand positions. Like nursing, respiratory therapists, etc. You can make pretty good money in these fields, only working 3 days/ week(12hrs) and you can have as much overtime as you want. i am going to get my bachelors in Respiratory Therapy right now, 100% paid, then i'm going to go to med. school while making $20+/hr as a therapist.