Careers???

rrefx

Cody said:
Once you build the foundation and get things running smoother, you have to find an exit strategy that allows you to seperate from the business to do things for yourself while still having the business run smoothly. I think that will be the hardest part for me--once I get things running smoothly (if ever) I won't be able to seperate myself from it.

Cody

Yeah, That is the dream! I'm in the same boat as you Cody, would love to sit back, and watch everything do fine without me... just don't see it happening anytime soon.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Just a comment on Business and Six Sigma, I am certified 'black belt' :rolleyes: and that is all well in good but this area is satuated with six sigma. It is not that neat of a trick.

I work for a large company and manage business system development. I hired two positions last year and 2 this year and I will tell you that a degree/certification/education might get you an interview in corporate america, but everyone has 'em. Experience and leadership style are what get people hired.

If someone will pay for your Six Sigma training and that interests you, I would do it.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Sometimes school is a waste .. it all depends on what you do with the knowledge. That is if you can remember it all by the time you're done.

I have 2 master's degrees. One in Early Childhood Education; the other in Child Psychology. I use neither. I'm a bean counter, a penny pusher .. gasp .. an accountant. I’ve had no formal training to do this, but I’m logical so it’s very easy. I’d make tons more if I worked for a different company, but some of the perks here make up the difference.

Johnny4X4

troutbum said:
I work for a large company and manage business system development. I hired two positions last year and 2 this year and I will tell you that a degree/certification/education might get you an interview in corporate america, but everyone has 'em. Experience and leadership style are what get people hired.

Ah there’s the rub. Try and get that interview with out the degree. I don’t have one, :-\ I work for the military, originally I joined to go to school, but when I began to work here full time, I lost a huge chunk of my school benefits. So I try to escape (ha ha) but getting that foot in the door to the real world is really tough. Even tougher is trying to decode military skill set into real world skills in a language that is understood by employers

So make sure that you are marketable for any position you have an interest in.

I look for what interests me and take a few courses or classes about it so that maybe I will have a leg up on the competition. ;)

Last edited:

Jeeptj98

Supergper said:
To be honest, there isn;t a job out there that you are gonna make a lot of money without a TON of schooling AND working your way up the ladder.

This isn't always true. I work for a Mortgage Company and have been in the business for a long time. I make pretty good money doing it. There are people up here that have only worked in the Mortgage business for only 3 years and they have made $150,000+ each of the last 3 years. There is alot of money to make in this industry you just have to be smart enough to realize that you can have one month where you will only make $1,000 but the next month you will make over $10,000. A good loan officer will Always make money even when the refinance booms go away.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have an engineering degree that I don't use, instead I find mistakes in blueprints to save owners money from having alot of changeorders. Its fun to do, the people I work with are great, I set my own hours, I can work 60 hours a week or 10 hours a week depending on my mood. It pays around $15 per hour with no overtime. I'm happy and that in my opinion is what counts. I'm sure I could make more money somewhere else doing engineering but sitting at a desk all day and not being able to get off when I want doesn't appeal to me. I got my degree because I thought engineering looked interesting so I wanted to learn more about it. I guess everyone's motivated by different things, money, fame, time with family, enjoying work, time off...whatever is best for you pick it and find a job that fits it. I think there is a job out there that fit all types of criteria if you look for it, I mean heck they pay someone to test out new suspension products or...spread oil on the supermodels :) whatever your into someone will pay you to do it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
for me, no job will ever make me "happy" and that is why i work at the county. good pay, great benefits and i don't take work home with me. i also like having a set schedule of 8-5, 40hrs a week.
it meets all of my standards.
plus there are all these cool "scandals" going on right now. its quite entertaining really.

notajeep

Just me
xj_punk said:
for me, no job will ever make me "happy" and that is why i work at the county. good pay, great benefits and i don't take work home with me. i also like having a set schedule of 8-5, 40hrs a week.
it meets all of my standards.
plus there are all these cool "scandals" going on right now. its quite entertaining really.
Can't beat those goverment jobs!
That being said..My mother works for "The Church" (you all know what I mean). Good pay and benifits. But they are somewhat selective in their hiring. (that why I can't work for em! :ugh:

81Ramchargerman

Thanks for all of the input guys, I am pretty sure health care is not 4 me, and the military is out since I got a felony when I was thirteen, and they are all anal about that (guilty by assoc. sux!). I was really lookin at the navy until they said I couldn't get in. What is needed for that realestate stuff???

Tiny

mmmm.....beefy!!!
If your willing to work hard for some years Landscaping can really pay off if you can do it, but getting your own business going can be really hard sometimes. I lucked out and happen to have a father with a business and I am learning the trade now to eventually take it over.

I heard to get into realistate you pretty much have to know somebody, but thats just what I heard, I really have no idea.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
I own my own financial firm. We do financing on large Commercial projects such as Hotels and stuff like that. The money is great, getting to where I am now was HELL I went a solid 14 month without making a dime of income, I was out getting contacts and making deal happen. I have no College, hell I sqeaked through high school, I just worked my ASS of and suffered a ton. Now this year my company has allready closed over $150,000,000 in loans. Plus I work when I want(which is usualy about 2 days a weeks) I spend all sorts of time with my wife and I get to play with my 2 year old daughter all day. People say that I am lucky and I have an easy job and I just laugh and tell them, "you try and go over 1 year getting a company started while making no money having a baby, a wife, and no rich relitives. But I can say it was worth it. :D

81Ramchargerman

2BIGTJ said:
I own my own financial firm. We do financing on large Commercial projects such as Hotels and stuff like that. The money is great, getting to where I am now was HELL I went a solid 14 month without making a dime of income, I was out getting contacts and making deal happen. I have no College, hell I sqeaked through high school, I just worked my ASS of and suffered a ton. Now this year my company has allready closed over $150,000,000 in loans. Plus I work when I want(which is usualy about 2 days a weeks) I spend all sorts of time with my wife and I get to play with my 2 year old daughter all day. People say that I am lucky and I have an easy job and I just laugh and tell them, "you try and go over 1 year getting a company started while making no money having a baby, a wife, and no rich relitives. But I can say it was worth it. :D

How did you manage to scrape by and how did you get the ball rolling so to speak?

Jeeptj98

81Ramchargerman said:
Thanks for all of the input guys, I am pretty sure health care is not 4 me, and the military is out since I got a felony when I was thirteen, and they are all anal about that (guilty by assoc. sux!). I was really lookin at the navy until they said I couldn't get in. What is needed for that realestate stuff???

Just look in the paper and apply to work for a Mortgage Company a bunch of mortgage companies like to hire people without any experience because they can teach them how to do things the way they like it.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
81Ramchargerman said:
How did you manage to scrape by and how did you get the ball rolling so to speak?
Well I sold pretty much everything I had. to make the bills, and went without a ton of things we needed. As far as getting the ball rolling, I worked my tail off

Mainframe systems programmer

Note - Wow, I'm suprised at all the Six Sigma talk, I actually just started working with the concept as Unisys (my employer) is implimenting both SS and Lean. Interesting to say the least.

PolarXJ

HO-P
I would suggest nursing if you the medical stuff. The demand for nurses continues to rise, so getting a job won't be the problem. Plus starting pay here in Utah is around $18 to $23/hr. Of course like alot of jobs you can make alot more outside of Utah. You can generally work the hours you want. Plus, do two more years (getting your masters) and you become a nurse practitioner and can make around $80K.