Checker HID lights... how are they holding up?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Checker/Schuck/Kragen has these cheap HID lights, they seem to be well-liked by the folks that have picked them up. I've heard reports of them leaking, not being totally sealed up. I know Paul R has a pair... anyone else? How are they holding up? Opinions on the light they put out?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=99000CSK&CategoryCode=3157D

They look like a good low-buck alternative for offroad lights. I'm also thinking about replacing my stock motorcycle light with a big single HID light. That will free up some power for other accys, which would be great.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
From what i've seen of Paul's, these lights rock. I've found some comparative photos from our jaunt a few weekends ago.. I apologize about the blurriness, my camera is not fond of dark situations.

Without HID's(factory Taco headlights)
100_2936.jpg

With HID's turned on
100_2935.jpg

Turned night to day.

One light has some sort of a crack, or split on a seam toward the rear. Nothing some epoxy couldn't fix right up. I thought that these lights did a great job of producing light.. Photos should speak for themselves really.

-Jason

Greg

Admin
Holy DAMN!!! I might have to pick one up for the motorcycle... nobody should pull out in front of me then! Unless they've been blinded and can't see... :rofl:

I'd love a pair for the Dodge too, always good to have good line of sight when towing at night. ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
No kidding! Good hell those are bright! Good desert lights, looks like. :D

Greg, when I finally get a damn bike, I'm going to get those Baja Designs deals. If you make the Checker light work, post up. :D BD stuff isn't cheap. :(

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I saw the little 4"s in a Checker not too long ago and just about fell in love. They're around $90 a pop IIRC, but Paul found an online coupon for something like 20% off.. He's got 6"ers i believe.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Those lights look pretty darn good. Ive seen em at checkers before but at that price I figured they were junk. Anyone got a link to that 20%off coupon?

Caleb

I've been thinking about getting a pair of these for my Tacoma. Seeing those pictures may have made up my mind :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Here's a thread from ExPo that might lead to the coupon if it's still around.. Also lots of info, and more comparative photos..

SOAZ ON EXPO: I'm more than impressed with the quality of these China made lights.
Not only have they held up to nearly 10,000 offroad miles this year, but they have worked flawlessly on our race car. It shakes, A LOT.

CLICK HERE

EXAMPLE

Attachments

• hi_hid.jpg
    hi_hid.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Corban_White

Anyone have the dimensions on these lights? I am specifically interested in the distance from the mounting bolt to the rear of the light (IE how far away from the grill does the mounting hole need to be). Thanks.

Jesser04

Checker H.I.D lights

Has anyone bought these? If so what do you think there way cheap but if there no good then I don't want them any feedback would be cool thanks

Paul R

The above pictures explain it all...
They are not the best lights in the world but for the price I really like them.

Greg

Admin
Anyone have the dimensions on these lights? I am specifically interested in the distance from the mounting bolt to the rear of the light (IE how far away from the grill does the mounting hole need to be). Thanks.

They're pretty deep, I just picked up a pair of lights after stopping in Checker and seeing them on sale. I'd say you need at least 4" from the mounting hole, back. I tried to fit them where I have IPF's currently and they won't fit.

Here's some pics with a tape to help you see how they size up.-

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_6303 (Medium).JPG
    100_6303 (Medium).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_6302 (Medium).JPG
    100_6302 (Medium).JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_6305 (Medium).JPG
    100_6305 (Medium).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_6304 (Medium).JPG
    100_6304 (Medium).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 14

Mope

Anyone have a good way to keep something like this from getting stolen? I had some cheapies on a jeep that someone stole right off it! They look good.

Paul R

When I did a quick search it appears that the offer has expired. I bought these last summer so I have no idea how long it lasted...

Meat_

Banned
d0h

Thanks for trying. I looked today and the 7" ones are on sale for $99..... one of my procomp's did die the other day :-\

Paul R

Just to keep everything updated, I did experience a problem with one of these lights. The whole housing was cracking from the base up. I think it could have been from vibrations, but it only happened on one of the lights. It was likely due to poor construction of the molded plastic. I took it to the store only to find out that the lights DO NOT HAVE A WARRANTY. That being said the clerk did exchange it for me but I could see it being difficult to get anything covered in the future. I still love these lights, but I am worried what will happen next. However, as opposed to the rest of the HID light market, it is still likely that I could go through quite a few Checker lights buying one after the other until it would make up for buying anything else. The first one lasted about 6 months before cracking, the other has been going strong for 10 months and is still as bright as ever.