Checker HID lights... how are they holding up?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wish I would have compared my lights to your HID's while we were on the Koko last week Greg.. I'd be interested to see how much brighter the light is compared to my dumb sealed beam 150 watt KC's. I've burned a couple out and I have to special order the bulbs in at ~$30 a pop, which gets rather expensive if they are essentially consumables.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... I wish I would have compared my lights to your HID's while we were on the Koko last week Greg.. I'd be interested to see how much brighter the light is compared to my dumb sealed beam 150 watt KC's. I've burned a couple out and I have to special order the bulbs in at ~$30 a pop, which gets rather expensive if they are essentially consumables.

I didn't even think about it, we'll have to compare this Summer sometime. The light my IPF's put out was decent, but the Checker HID's put out much more light and it's way brighter. In comparison, the IPF's came with 2 lights for $100 and the HID's are $100/ea.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I didn't even think about it, we'll have to compare this Summer sometime. The light my IPF's put out was decent, but the cheap HID's put out much more light and it's way brighter.

I went from a weekend in Paul's truck with his HID's, back to my IPF's... There is no comparison.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Is there a candlepower rating on the HID's? They don't make the 150 Watt "competition" series that I have (another reason to replace next time I burn a bulb), but they are listed at 385,000 candlepower (vs. the 240,000 candlepower of the standard Daylighters) IPF's are probably better lights, so I'm assuming the HID's will be a lot nicer than what I have.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I think that the Checker HID's feel far more stout than my IPF's in thier construction. My IPF's are 100w as well, so they throw some decent light. I believe that 1 6" HID is brighter than my 2 100w IPF's.. Which is cool cause IIRC the HID's are 35w. Just based on what I noticed.

The HID's provide incredible lighting, all while giving your alternator and battery a break.

Greg

Admin
Is there a candlepower rating on the HID's? They don't make the 150 Watt "competition" series that I have (another reason to replace next time I burn a bulb), but they are listed at 385,000 candlepower (vs. the 240,000 candlepower of the standard Daylighters) IPF's are probably better lights, so I'm assuming the HID's will be a lot nicer than what I have.

I've never seen a candlepower rating for the HID's, but they are quite impressive IMO.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
4" HID's. Seem kind of small, but I guess they pack a big punch. When you get them on bring them over and lets do a side by side comparison.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Here's a pic of a single 4" HID from Checker.. Pretty impressive based on the usual Hella 500, KC's, or IPF's. I don't think that my two 100W IPF come close to that much light.

IMG_2428.jpg

Greg

Admin
Here's a pic of a single 4" HID from Checker.. Pretty impressive based on the usual Hella 500, KC's, or IPF's. I don't think that my two 100W IPF come close to that much light.

Nice, looks like the smaller lights are just as bright. Is that just the one small HID, no headlights? When are you going to mount & wire both of them? I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of the small HID's vs the big HID's.

What do the small ones cost again?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Nice, looks like the smaller lights are just as bright. Is that just the one small HID, no headlights? When are you going to mount & wire both of them? I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of the small HID's vs the big HID's.

What do the small ones cost again?

That pic is one 4" light only (AFASIK - was posted by someone on another forum who claimed that).. Also, that little light is mounted on the roof of his Xterra.

I hope to mount mine in the next few months. I plan on installing a light bar up top in front of the wet box on the roof.. I think i'm going to run the 4" HID's in the middle, and one Hella 450 fog on each side of the HID's.. Should provide some great area lighting near and far.

Suprisingly the 4"ers are the saem price as the 6"ers.. Weird..

-Jason

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Just picked up (2)- 7 inchers on sale for 99.99 a piece. Going to be ready for the night run:D

To the top for this old thread, anyone have any problems with these a year later?

Greg I put a deposit down on a local XR650R for sale (super psyched - check out the pics) and it has a cracked lens with the Baja Designs.. Perfect opportunity to fab something up that looks cool and also put out a ton of light.. :)

I'm thinking a regular 6" round light (I have a Hella H4 that will be perfect) and possibly a 4" HID as well for off road...

Psyched to take an adventure with you at some point if possible! I haven't brought it home yet, I'll have to do the "rude awakening" with the wife as she is currently totally against the idea of a "motorcycle" LOL, ie "well, here it is... " Totally into the multi-day trip idea of course, GG style!

874665201_La3Xx-L.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Maybe it's already been addressed, but what is the suspension like on these lights? If they could be mounted in a rubber bushing, would that help keep them from cracking?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
After rollin with desert racing guys, and seeing lots of rigs with these lights.. I'm sold that they are holding up at all spectrums of the off-road world. I see them everywhere, desert trucks, UTV's, rock buggies, ATV's, tow rigs, you name it.. For the price, they are a sweet light.