ChestonScout installs some Axletechs and reworks the Scout for the umpteenth time

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Not a lot accomplished this weekend but a little

More structure is needed for the back tube work. Here you can see the brackets that will hold the fuel cell mount. I added the 2 tubes to catch these brackets and also give support.

After adding more tube, i started getting nervous about how i was gonna get everything in and out.

Seat, cell, and radiator will squeeze out of the back section. Jigsaw puzzle for sure

Some more structure here

My plan was to add some tube right above the coilovers for support. But if i were to do them how i wanted the radiator would not have been removable.

This tube was the first one i made to go behind the fuel cell. It ended up sitting to close to the coilover so i had to redesign. But rather than hit the scrap bin...

Its not ideal but should provide a little support

Both sides to match

Next up is some tabs to mount the back seat. Then onto tube work for the front seats and tunnel. Not sure how im gonna do that yet but ill figure something out

Bart

The progress is looking great. Do you have a time line you're shooting for, or are you taking it as it comes? All the attention to detail will be well worth the effort when you get this back on the trail. Nice work.

ChestonScout

Thanks Bart!

Idaho Tuff Truck is sept 26. Im hoping to have it wheelable by then. But its a loose goal.

Planning painted and completed by EJS 2016

I hope. :cool:

mombobuggy

It is going to be so neat. I dig the fuel tank for its use of space. The tube work is very sharp. Keep up the good work and updates.

ChestonScout

So I had a bad day with the plasma cutter. my front floor boards were just as hack as the back but they served their purpose so I was just going to cut a little more off to be able to tie the new floor in

I got carried away

I had dual batteries that I built shelves for and welded it straight to the firewall. Biggest problem was I did this before the shock hoops were added up front so the bottom battery was almost impossible to remove. I decided I don't want dual batteries anymore so I cut the mount off. And then I remembered why I built it the way I did. Massive rust holes. So I cut most the right side firewall off as well

By this time I got mad at myself for making a lot more unneeded work for myself so I put the plas away and decided to leave most the drivers side alone. Probably regret it later but we will see

This is the start of the new tunnel. The shifters and probably some switches will be mounted to the top

I started looking at mounting the seats. I let the wife drive the Scout quite often but she has to keep the seat belts a little loose to be able to reach the pedals well. I decided to get a set of sliders made by Chassis Unlimited. Im pretty impressed with these but they aren't cheap. So only the drivers side is getting them for now

Here I needed a way to mount the back of the seats and clear the driveline. I decided this would be the strongest way and also double as a driveline hoop for the front of it

Looks like Im a little pic low on the interior tube work But there is still plenty more to add so Im sure more pics will come. Here you can see the back tabs on and a little more tube added for the tunnel

Since the bender was out I decided to bend the seat belt bar and add the V braces to it

first time with all the seats in the new tube work

ChestonScout

now I needed a new place for the battery. I was hoping to fit it behind the back seat and between the fuel cell but no luck. Wasn't even close. I played with a few locations but I really wanted it towards the back of the rig to help with weight distribution a little

So this is what I came up with

I welded it directly to the fuel cell mount. There is 6" of clearance between the box and the pinion. The fuel cell mount is probably stout enough to hold the battery and a full tank of fuel, but I needed to add a cross brace between the frame anyway so I tucked the bar right up against the battery box. Added a couple tabs and a couple bolts. This will keep the fuel cell mount removable

It should work

Ashcat

Might steal the battery idea from you. To me it's funny when I'm starring at the project and think oh, the bat will fit here. Prop it up and hell no it won't there, not even at half the size. Figured it would eventually wind up somewhere as low as I could in the rear back half tube work anyways.

ChestonScout

Not much to update damnit

I did make the most complex tube on the cage

It needed to match the factory firewall and tunnel that remains and tie into the console and the tube by the A pillar

If you recall, i only made temporary mounts for the front shocks. I found these made for a rockwell i thought i could make work

I wasnt happy with how the mount was hitting the shock tho

So i clearanced them a little

Much better

I also didnt like that it was just a sealed cube. It will get full of mud and water no doubt. So to help i pulled out the die grinder and made a drain hole. It will still get full of mud but at least when i hose it off the water will drain

Little bit of grinding and they sat on the axletech. Not a perfect fit but weldable

ChestonScout

You may also recall i was going to leave the upper shock mounts alone on the front.

The tires seemed to clear the shocks fine when i lifted up the rear axle. But i lifted the Scout by the slider the last time i had it out and for whatever reason the tire got into the shock. Weird. So i decided to try to tip them in at the top some more

I fought for nearly a whole day trying to get more tube installed to mount to but i wasnt likeing any of it. So another big ol nasty tab was made

This tipped the shock in 3" farther than the other mount. I havent tested them but im confident it will be ok

ChestonScout

Looking good Cheston! Are you going to have it ready for some Fall wheelin?

Im still hoping it will be wheelable for ITTC on sept 26. Long ways to go tho. It wont be finished but wheelable. Guessing EJS will be its first trip paneled and painted. We will see