CJ-75 Budget Build

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Update time!

I solved the problem with the rear spring shackle alignment!:tara: It's nice to have a few other project vehicles hanging around!:ugh: I cut the spring hangers off a chevy frame & cut them down to just the part that holds the shackle, flipped them, lined everything up & welded them to the bottom of the frame!:D It didn't change my ride height any & took the bind out of the rear springs!:cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0681.jpg
    DSCF0681.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0682.jpg
    DSCF0682.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0683.jpg
    DSCF0683.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 24

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I found a Wrangler soft top in the garage rafters!?! :p& soft uppers for hard half doors!?! :D& 1 side window WTF!??? :rolleyes: I didn't dare ask the wife, she'll claim I got drunk & pissed money away on something I don't need (which has never happened to her! , REALLY!) ;) So after a couple of days I quizzed the daughter & found out she had loaned out garage space to an old boy friend who long since sold his Jeep. Never liked the turd anyway!:cody: BONUS!!! :greg:

I stretched it over the CJ75 & with a few mods it will make a great soft top!:D

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 23

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Update!

I put on a set of near new mufflers from a part out truck in my buddies yard! Now it is reasonably quiet & I can get it to a muffler shop & inspection station without allerting the local 5-0!:ugh:

On a slightly cooler note I fabbed up a bracket/ mount assy. to fit a pair of lift rods to the fiberglass front end! I have to say I'm pretty proud of this one! Now that it's finally done!:mad:

I've spent at least 20 hrs. over the past 6 mos. measuring, thinking, designing, & questioning about 5 different ideas X#&@*$! Frustrating to say the least!

I finally decided to build a bracket that bridges the hood hinges & the snubbers that the windshield lays on when folded down, which was part of the design all along, the hard part was figuring out where to mount the other end of the rods!:mad:

Too much crap in the way on one side or the other! When it finally hit me it was one of those, Duh!, moments! :rolleyes:

I made a couple of mounting tabs on the top of the radiator mounts which are tied with rods back to the firewall! I built the bracket for the hood, painted & mounted it all up & was done in under 3 hrs.:rofl::rofl::rofl: It was so simple that I took myself out back & kicked my own ass!:amy::busted:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 15

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Updates!!

Here are pics of the hood lifter assy.:rolleyes: I got the rods at NPS for $4.oo ea., the rest is 1" flat bar & angle iron that I already had.:-\

It's nothing spectacular, but it's mine & it works great!:D
018.jpg019.jpg026.jpg028.jpg029.jpg

I also finished my fender flairs!:thumbs: These are the normal runners & I'll make some add on wider pieces for inspections!:ugh:

021.jpg023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg

I did round the corners & trim the tails since the pics were taken so they clear everything look nicer!:D

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I know this has been off the scope for a long time, but I have been making progress!!! :eek:

I have to re-learn how to post pics so I can do a propper update:p

TEASER: IT HAS PAINT!!:eek::eek::eek:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
OK! OK!

I haven't postd for so long I had to go through retraining!

This is the present condition & I'll add details later!

Attachments

• DSCF0736.JPG
    DSCF0736.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0738.JPG
    DSCF0738.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0739.JPG
    DSCF0739.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0749.JPG
    DSCF0749.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0751.JPG
    DSCF0751.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 24

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
:-\I know it doesn't show but, I spent the last 6 mos. sanding,filling,sanding,filling,sanding,filling.....:cody: I figured out that I'm not that good at body work & dont plan on getting that much better!:-\

Jeep bodies are way less than perfect from the factory so, I figured close to factory is good enough! :thumbs:

Don't forget that this is a budjet build...So I painted it with Rustolium Hamered silver & black !

I'm acually very happy with the finnish, it has a good look from 20' & it will be easy to touchup!:thumbs:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
A couple of features I probably showed befor but I wanted to show finished are the tail light / gas door /onboard air /aux gas tank set up!

I used Chevy gas doors to make hidden openings to accomidate gas filler, aux tank, onboard air, aux power.

Attachments

• DSCF0740.JPG
    DSCF0740.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0741.JPG
    DSCF0741.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0742.JPG
    DSCF0742.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0743.JPG
    DSCF0743.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 13

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
A couple of other details:

I built a tire carrier/tow bar & mabey gas can carrier (still designing the gas can part).:ugh:

It mounts to the rear x-member & is supported by the back of the tub at the original spare location.

The front bumper mounts double as the tow bar mounts so, to deploy, I dismount the spare, pull 2 bolts & 2 pins & move it to the front.

Up front I remove 4 bolts, flip the bumper over & bolt it back on the top of the mounts(TJ bumper-very light), line up the tow bar & insert the pins!:D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0761.JPG
    DSCF0761.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0746.JPG
    DSCF0746.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 13

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
There's a guy that's fixed my top down here in Bountiful that might be able to sew two tops together for you? Not sure if that'd really work or not? He's fixed my tops a couple times. Pretty reasonable and does good work.