"Comp cut"=hideous

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My old TJ (your old, old TJ Jeremy ;) ) was cut straight back, with the rear axle moved 11". I don't think there was any room to make a curved wheel well. That big tire, plus the minimal lift and the axle placement had the rear tire filling up every bit of the rear comp cut.

I understand what you're getting at about looks, but at times, a comp cut is what works best. I don't care for tube in addition to the armor, I suppose I just like it clean & simple. I liked it, there was nothing to get in the way or get damaged... just a whole lot of tire off to the side and back of the rig.

381968589_gjTYG-M.jpg

381967455_QqDHd-M.jpg

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I agree with you 100 percent marc. I would love to dovetail my rig but with the fuel cell being behind the seat and the keeping the back seat useful for passengers and such you could dovetail it but it wouldnt be very much and would not get enough gain to justify doing so

Bart

Well said Marc. I need more information on moving the front axle forward. Please. Would love to get to 104 or 105.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
An Astrovan steering box has a forward throw pitman arm setup. I suppose a person could just swap it out directly with the stock TJ box. It will bolt up, but IMO it will need to be rocked back so the pitman is more level with the ground. This may also place your steering too far forward, maybe 10-11 inches. In the end, you will need to move the steering box to net more than a few inches more wheelbase.

I think Jeeps look much better with a little extra wheelbase added out front, than moving the axle so far back that your only option is a comp cut. A comp cut ruins the aesthetics of a Jeep IMO. If you want more than 103" of wheelbase, a CJ/YJ/TJ is a poor base to start with. I had my CJ5 out to 97"(84" was stock) with 38" sx's and my tub was cut very similar to MBryson's. I tubed out the back when I went to 106".

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
.Post up pics of your cool looking rig so we know what our rigs SHOULD look like

I am rig-less for now. I am not trying to tell anyone what there rig should look like. I'm simply stating what I think looks like ass.

These are the only pics I have of my old CJ5. This was probably 7-8 years ago judging by my hairline.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

None of those pics clearly demonstrate my point, but you asked for pics.

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I was only able to move the rear axle back 6" on 35s and keep the wheel arcs.
IMG_2561.jpg

As others have said, comp cuts can look quite good if they're proportionate. LCG builds on 40s like greg or redbull's rig are good examples of this.

DSC00705.jpg

I considered buying another tub and dovetailing it, but it is more work than it's worth, IMHO. I think the Trendkill build is a good example of a proper dovetail.
attachment.php

Lastly, the astro box is a total PITA to use on a TJ and nets too much stretch in the end. Treks did a nice relocation on a factory box that gained 3". You can also buy a genright twisted pitman arm and gain about 2.5", but there's still steering, coibuckets, and a swaybar to deal with. Quite a bit of work for a small gain.
13.jpg

:hickey:

Last edited by a moderator:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
If you want more than 103" of wheelbase, a CJ/YJ/TJ is a poor base to start with.

Sure, 300' of tube might be a better base to start with... but for those not ready to commit to building a full chassis, our TJ was an excellent start to our 110" WB rig.

I'm interested in knowing what production vehicle would be a better base to start with :)

Casey setup our 4 link and cut the fenders, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Very mild "comp" cut...

DSCN2776.jpg

jswainthug

I am rig-less for now. I am not trying to tell anyone what there rig should look like. I'm simply stating what I think looks like ass.

These are the only pics I have of my old CJ5. This was probably 7-8 years ago judging by my hairline.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

None of those pics clearly demonstrate my point, but you asked for pics.

Killer diamond plate corners!:rofl: I think if you do the work your self and it works for your rig, good for you. I personally like the comp cut look. I also think its hard to have an opinion without a rig! Just my .02.;) P.S. I hate diamond plate

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sure, 300' of tube might be a better base to start with... but for those not ready to commit to building a full chassis, our TJ was an excellent start to our 110" WB rig.

I'm interested in knowing what production vehicle would be a better base to start with :)

Casey setup our 4 link and cut the fenders, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Very mild "comp" cut...

I love how your TJ turned out, your front axle moved WAY far forward... 110"!! Mine was 104", with most of that being the rear axle. My front axle was limited to just a couple inches forward and while the end result worked well, my rear-end was very light.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Killer diamond plate corners!:rofl: I think if you do the work your self and it works for your rig, good for you. I personally like the comp cut look. I also think its hard to have an opinion without a rig! Just my .02.;) P.S. I hate diamond plate

Yeah yeah, I don't currently have a rig so my opinion doesn't count right? I expected that response. As for the diamond plate, it kept the rust, bondo, and old beer cans tied together. It doesn't bother me that you hate diamond plate. :cody:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I'm interested in knowing what production vehicle would be a better base to start with.
Perhaps something with 100" of factory wheelbase? I would not say 300 feet of tube would be a better start. That would give you much more freedom, but freedom can be very expensive and time consuming.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Everyone has a right to an opinion. I don't currenty date a supermodel, but I think a lot of them are pretty good lookin.

Oh, and I hate the comp cut too. It's functional but ugly.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't currenty date a supermodel,

So sorry, no opinion for you! :hickey:

Yes it's true I have no current "rig" cuz my dodge doesn't count. I do intend to have a "rig" in about six months. Nothing extreme, just a YJ on 35's, street legal. I won't have another trailer queen.

cjncustoms

Perhaps something with 100" of factory wheelbase? I would not say 300 feet of tube would be a better start. That would give you much more freedom, but freedom can be very expensive and time consuming.

So what would you recommend for a good starting base that has a factory 100"+wb and that is narrow but roomy easy base to build around, not a unibody and can pick up for fairly cheap? Just curious as to what option are much better to start out with?:rolleyes:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive never been a hugh fan of the comp cut, but I like it better than smashed in tub corners so due to the wheeling I do, ive comp cut before, and dovetail.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Just wondering what the point of this thread is? Some guy doesn't like comp cuts. So what?