"Comp cut"=hideous

Matt

Is anyone else disgusted with the popularity of the "comp cut" rear fenders? I think it's gotta be one of the worst modifications ever conceived. The word "hack" comes to mind. The majority of the comp cut rigs I see could have retained some resemblance of an arch. Comp cut is just lazy. Cutting a decent arch into a tub takes almost no skill, even I can do it.

Discuss.

What are you doing on here any way Hack Master Hicks? your opinions don't mean anything here once you started building a "hot rod"! :rofl:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
"comp cut" is only as ugly as you make it. some look good, some look bad. just like some jeeps look good, some look bad. as for being a time machine into 1990? im pretty sure way more jeeps are getting comp cut in 2010 than in 1990?? i would love to meet someone whos was that far in the game in 1990 to be "comp cutting" their 4 year old yj. props to them, maybe there was, but i bet the numbers are pretty slim. calvins jeep is a perfect example of a clean comp cut with a purpose. if you ever run a trail with him you will notice the tire stuffs up pertfectly in the cut of the body. with out the cut he would have had to narrow his tub(loosing space) and refab his cage(costing more money). it looks good serves a purpose and keeps his space. good job calvin way to bring it back to 1990! next trail ride im bringing some vanilla ice to listen to! but i will agree it does make me laugh when i see a jeep or better yet a samuria with out a stretched wheelbase(or a minor stretch) with their fenders cut up with out a purpose.

also...

what is the purpose of this thread?:confused::confused::confused:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
So what would you recommend for a good starting base that has a factory 100"+wb and that is narrow but roomy easy base to build around, not a unibody and can pick up for fairly cheap? Just curious as to what option are much better to start out with?:rolleyes:

you must be talking about the 1985 4runner.. you know the coolset best vehicle ever???:D i happen to have one, ill trade you for your hidious comp cut jeep. id really be doing you a favor! my rear fenders are factory and look way better:rofl:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I like both looks if done right & in the right application!

A comp cut looks perfect on a comp rig!:cool: 33's or 35's on a 3" stretch, does not quallify as a comp rig these days:-\!

If you can fit the tire you want & keep some wheel radius that looks similar to the stock look that is way cool, & looks awesom:cool:!

I find it somewhat surprizing that the same people that don't care for comp cuts, post pics of their least favorite cuts, but the fronts of those same rigs are chopped off to to the flat part of the fender or to the hood line:cody::shawn:

If you are doing a restoration keep it close, if you're wheeling it, cut what hits, if you want to get into the fun stuff,? Buy a welder, grinder & a lot of sawsall blades:cool::cool::cool::rofl:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
What's all this talk about 1990??? I was only 2 years old I have no idea what the cool thing was in 1990 but I agree with everyone else it is time for this thread to die.

wallysheata

I LIKE the compcut but you have to have the wheelbase and it has to be done right. I built my own corners gaurds back in 2005 on my old blue YJ and comp cut it to fit my 106" wheel base. I think the trick is to add more material between the door opening and fender well opening so you do not have such a huge gap. I also built my own corners on my TJ buggy, and comp cut it, but decided to dovetail it some to help protect it from getting bashed, i don't think either of my rigs look bad comp cut :greg: Nore do i understand how you can stretch a wheelbase on a jeep out to 110 and NOT comp cut the thing:confused:

UpperHelderado01.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
So what would you recommend for a good starting base that has a factory 100"+wb and that is narrow but roomy easy base to build around, not a unibody and can pick up for fairly cheap? Just curious as to what option are much better to start out with?:rolleyes:

DUH, Cal.....Toyota of course :p :D

Oh and I only saw 2 CC's I liked...yours was one of them.

McGhie

O hey there Pard!
Killer diamond plate corners!:rofl: I think if you do the work your self and it works for your rig, good for you. I personally like the comp cut look. I also think its hard to have an opinion without a rig! Just my .02.;) P.S. I hate diamond plate

O come on she is a sweet honey! I think the rusted out sides have to look worse than a comp cut!

cjncustoms

you must be talking about the 1985 4runner.. you know the coolset best vehicle ever???:D i happen to have one, ill trade you for your hidious comp cut jeep. id really be doing you a favor! my rear fenders are factory and look way better:rofl:

Ofcourse!! How could i for get the toyota!!? Thanks for reminding me robbie and tracy;) Robbie you are correct i think you would be doing me a huge favor!! Pm me the details of your sweet honey and we'll see what we can work out! Pink slip in hand!:rofl: But seriously the robbie runner gets it! I've never seen something beat so badly yet run so good!!:D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Some people get so butt-hurt when you start a discussion. Wally's rig is the best looking comp cut in this thread. I see nothing wrong with chopping front fenders up, it is rarely done in a shitty way.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just wondering what the point of this thread is? Some guy doesn't like comp cuts. So what?
That pretty well sums it up. I just figured I would float my opinion out there in hopes of guiding some poor soul who is sitting on the fence about the direction of his Jeep build.

Chevycrew

wally's tj? (blue with silver cage) looks really good to me, I think, since its not a typical comp-cut. Still a round opening.