Concrete Anchors for Heavy Tools

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think I am ready to anchor my wood lathe to the concrete in my garage. The lathe feet have holes drilled for what I assume are anchors but they aren't very big. The tool is super stable and I'm just hoping to keep it from walking around the garage while I'm turning something lopsided. I'm wondering if I need to drill out those holes to handle a bigger anchor, like maybe 5\8" or should it be fine with the smaller ones. I'm thinking the holes might fit a 1/2" bolt right now. I don't know if it matters or not but I have the lathe on runners (ash wood) to get it to height for me. The runners are maybe 1.5-2" tall.

Do any of you have experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'd consider heavy-duty spring or rubber isolators as well. If you keep the frame from moving at all it will increase stresses on the drive spindle, tailstock, etc. while the weight of the turned piece is off-center.

The_Lobbster

I like the lags like what Tonka posted. I’ve used redheads for years to hang AC brackets on concrete foundations. Home Depot also sells the same type made by tapcon in smaller quantities that of 6 or 10 I think. The nice thing is, you can simply unscrew them and patch later if desired.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My dad has a hilti hammer drill that my grandpa used to use for work. I need to get over to borrow it to see what size bits he has for it then I was going to go from there. My wood risers to the top of the foot is 2.5" and the documentation I saw yesterday said the redhead ones need to go in the concrete at least 1.75 inches.

If I can get those removable ones at the box store that would be awesome. I didn't know they were a thing and assumed I'd need the expanding ones. My lathe can get pretty wobbly, especially when I'm just starting to rough a big blank. Are the lag style as strong as the expanding type?

I also measured the foot holes and I can get 1/2" no problem.

The_Lobbster

My dad has a hilti hammer drill that my grandpa used to use for work. I need to get over to borrow it to see what size bits he has for it then I was going to go from there. My wood risers to the top of the foot is 2.5" and the documentation I saw yesterday said the redhead ones need to go in the concrete at least 1.75 inches.

If I can get those removable ones at the box store that would be awesome. I didn't know they were a thing and assumed I'd need the expanding ones. My lathe can get pretty wobbly, especially when I'm just starting to rough a big blank. Are the lag style as strong as the expanding type?

I think they’re strong enough, just make sure to drill deep enough, and clean out your holes well. I like to vacuum the holes out and then blow out with compressed air. If you don’t, sometimes it’ll compact into the bottom of your hole and stop you from getting it sunk in all the way.

They take a standard size bit, i.e., if you get 1/2” anchors, you just drill a 1/2” hole, the lag threads are a little larger, so you might need a smaller size to fit through the lathe hole.
Here’s a link. They make them longer too if desired.

3/8x3” tapcon lags

Tonkaman

This type of anchor is actually stronger than drop in or wedge bolt styles. 👍