Consent to carry in a friends home. Would you ask?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think it comes down to if you trust your friends or family that come over, or vice versus. I trust my friends and family. If she doesn't, find better friends and family;)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I find the whole issue of when and where to carry odd. I am a creature of habbit. If I don't put my phone in my pocket I have no idea where the last place I left it was. If I only carry my gun when I go to certain places, chances are I would leave it home on accident. I carry when I am not at work, Period. That is the only way I am sure to have my gun any time I may need it.

Funny story, my dad is a certifiable gun nut, has a built in vault and several rooms dedicated to building and customizing guns. For some reason, my mother was uncomfortable with him CC'ing. One day they were getting ready to go out to eat dinner. She noticed he was putting his holster on. She asked, why are you putting a gun on, do you think someone is going to shoot at us in Chilli's. To which my dad replied, if I thought someone would shoot at us, I wouldn't put on my gun, I would stay home. Love my dad's sayings.

jentzschman

I find the whole issue of when and where to carry odd. I am a creature of habbit. If I don't put my phone in my pocket I have no idea where the last place I left it was. If I only carry my gun when I go to certain places, chances are I would leave it home on accident. I carry when I am not at work, Period. That is the only way I am sure to have my gun any time I may need it.

Funny story, my dad is a certifiable gun nut, has a built in vault and several rooms dedicated to building and customizing guns. For some reason, my mother was uncomfortable with him CC'ing. One day they were getting ready to go out to eat dinner. She noticed he was putting his holster on. She asked, why are you putting a gun on, do you think someone is going to shoot at us in Chilli's. To which my dad replied, if I thought someone would shoot at us, I wouldn't put on my gun, I would stay home. Love my dad's sayings.

So true. I have been carrying more and more and really do love having it with me. I am still not 100% on carrying it chambered, but that is a discussion for another time.

Caleb

:rofl: That's awesome. Similar situation, a good buddy of mine that ALWAYS carries, has a wife that also carries. So, my wife was asking him questions about his wife carrying. Once question she asked him was does she always carry, to which he replied, "No, only when the bad guys will be coming" :rofl:

Team1k

I have no training on this so forgive my ignorace but can someone explain the law around carrying in a business or school as opposed to carrying at a persons home? My understanding was if it was a federal building, or if its posted that you cannot carry, then you cannot carry there since its private property? So if someone put that sign on their house then would the rules apply there?

Just looking for understanding and again i obviously have no experience so im probably completely off on what im saying.

Caleb

I have no training on this so forgive my ignorace but can someone explain the law around carrying in a business or school as opposed to carrying at a persons home? My understanding was if it was a federal building, or if its posted that you cannot carry, then you cannot carry there since its private property? So if someone put that sign on their house then would the rules apply there?

Just looking for understanding and again i obviously have no experience so im probably completely off on what im saying.

Federal building is off-limits. Private business is not. They can have signs posted that they don't allow guns, etc but you are allowed to carry if you are a permit holder. They can ask you to leave, at which time if you refuse you could potentially be charged with trespassing (that's the private property part).

From the BCI's website:

What about private businesses? Can they post signs prohibiting someone from carrying a gun into their business even though the person has a concealed firearms permit?

Naturally, private property owners may apply whatever restrictions they want. Whether or not these restrictions violate one's constitutional rights is for the civil courts to decide. But the only statutory restrictions on a permit holder are secured areas such as airports and federal buildings.

jentzschman

There is no legal backing to simply putting up a sign. At worst, from what I understand, it would be more like a trespassing issue then breaking the law.

Caleb beat me to it... ;)

Team1k

Ahh ok. So that brings me to another question. I thought there was a school around here (the U maybe?) that did not allow guns on campus. I guess i wouldnt think of a school as a federal building but maybe if they get federal funding it is? Or again i could be completely wrong.

I also would be interested to learn why the federal buildings get such treatment? Im thinking post offices as thats what i run into most often. Is this a left over law from a time when post offices were being robbed(my john wayne imagination)

I can start a new thread on this if the OP would prefer. Dont want to hijack.

Caleb

This doesn't answer why, but has more on where you can and can't carry:

From the BCI Website:

As a permit holder, exactly, where can I carry or not carry a handgun?
The concealed firearm permit allows an individual to carry a firearm fully loaded and concealed. The permit also allows an individual to carry a firearm into public schools. Permit holders can not carry a firearm into federal or state restricted areas i.e. any airport secured area, federal facilities, courts, correctional & mental health facilities, law enforcement secured areas, a house of worship or private residence where notice given and/or posted, any secured area in which firearms are prohibited and notice posted, or otherwise prohibited by state of federal law.

So, without doing more digging, since the U is a public school, it would be the same as a private business. They can have whatever rules they want, but the legal side of that is nothing can be done to you if you are a permit holder. These laws do not apply for open carry and/or non-permit holders. Also a school like BYU may be different because it's private, I'm not sure, maybe not.

Info from here

jentzschman

No worries on the hijack....

As far as I know, BYU is the only school in Utah that does NOT allow weapons. The U use to not allow, but it was changed a few years back, not sure the exact date.

BYU is a private school and have mad there intentions know with the BCI that weapons are not allowed on their property.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Federa buildings includes the post office, military installations and even the Forest Service buildings. Not sure why but you really can't question it since it's a "federal building"

When it comes to BYU or any school it's still the same as trespassing. The only religious institution in the state to register with the state as a non carry church is the LDS church, if you carry there and you get caught you are breaking the law. So as long as you don't go to church on a BYU campus as far as I understand it you can't get charged just asked to leave, unless somehow they managed to make the entire campus considered "church grounds". Then like said if you refuse it's a trespassing issue.

jentzschman

It's only the LDS church houses if I am correct. All other LDS church buildings, as long as its not a meeting house, are not "covered" under the same notice they filed with the BCI... I might be wrong and if so I hope someone has a little more clarification on that.

jentzschman

Ok. I was at my dads today. We have had some pretty heated debates about firearms. I have my CFP and carry everywhere. He finally flipped out and asked me to keep the weapon in the closet on the top shelf.

We had a small debate and I told him I disagree with your assessment of shelving my weapon. He claims he does not want it around his grandkids. In my mind I would want a way to protect said grandkids and my nieces.

What would you do?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I would think the weapon would be in a safer place on your person. Not even bringing up the defending the house debate. I would be more worried about a child gaining access to the weapon lying on a shelf, than secured on your person

jentzschman

I would think the weapon would be in a safer place on your person. Not even bringing up the defending the house debate. I would be more worried about a child gaining access to the weapon lying on a shelf, than secured on your person

That is exactly what I said...

Caleb

Ok. I was at my dads today. We have had some pretty heated debates about firearms. I have my CFP and carry everywhere. He finally flipped out and asked me to keep the weapon in the closet on the top shelf.

We had a small debate and I told him I disagree with your assessment of shelving my weapon. He claims he does not want it around his grandkids. In my mind I would want a way to protect said grandkids and my nieces.

What would you do?

Honor his request. Actually, I would likely lock it in my car for said reason of it being safer than lying on a shelf somewhere. I disagree with any reasoning to not have the weapon on you, but it's his house and his rules. Your choices are obey his rules or don't go over there. I enjoy visiting with my parents, so it would stay in the car. However, my dad is just about ready to buy a holster from SealthGear so I'm sure I won't ever be in the same situation. :D Most other places, homes, etc, if they didn't want me to carry at their place, I don't think I'd go.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Sounds like you need to get him out to the range and show him that guns don't just jump up and fire on their own. Just seems like a great opportunity to show him how guns actually work and dispel a lot of myths.

jentzschman

Sounds like you need to get him out to the range and show him that guns don't just jump up and fire on their own. Just seems like a great opportunity to show him how guns actually work and dispel a lot of myths.

Great idea

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
That's a tuffy for sure. My pa was never against the guns in his house, even after the accidental discharge :eek:. He used to ask us to keep them out of sight. He didn't like it if we showed them around or compared guns. All 3 sons now carry, and 2 of our wives carry also. He has become a bit more tolerant towards them.
The hard part about your situation is emotions and pride. A lot can be said in favor of not visiting, or keeping it better hidden from him.. But I think the correct answer is to keep it in the car while at his place... Goes with that "Honor your father and mother" thingy.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Stage a fake home intrusion while the whole fam-damily is there that involves you brandishing your gun to scare off the bad guy. Respect and honor forever more.....