Coronavirus

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I picked up my load of TP and water in Grandview, WA. Tomorrow I will be delivering to a Tacoma store. I'd really rather just sell this crap off the back door than go into the SeaTac area. Then again, maybe everyone is staying home and traffic will be super awesome. One can hope.

J-mobzz

I picked up my load of TP and water in Grandview, WA. Tomorrow I will be delivering to a Tacoma store. I'd really rather just sell this crap off the back door than go into the SeaTac area. Then again, maybe everyone is staying home and traffic will be super awesome. One can hope.
Yeah more like less people will be using the crappy public transportation and getting in cars.

Troop92

Okay, now I'm beyond irritated. I had to go to 6 stores before I could find Infant Tylenol and Motrin. No no, buy 14 bottles for your healthy child, he clearly needs it more than my little guy with his 102deg fever.

*EDIT*
Ticked up to a 103.2deg fever... The meds helped, his fever steadily dropped all night and broke about 4am this morning. Be safe out there.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Talking to downtown bars and restaurants, most are down close to 50% or more this week. The salt palace canceled all conventions in March. That's about 50k visitors no longer coming and spending money. The NBA is postponed now. No crowds for the ncaa tournament. That's a lot of workers in the travel, tourism, service, and bar/restaurant industry that will be severely impacted. Most of those people don't have savings, so that's going to trickle down into late mortgages, debt payments, etc. I feel like this is how you jump start a recession.

Sucks for sure. Trump is trying to get a stimulus passed that would cover lost wages of those affected by coronavirus. While that is some light at the end of the tunnel, I fear the only way it would truly be effective is if it were readily available since most do not have much savings.

The panic in the US is what is leveraging these events to cancel; it's unreal. A colleague in Hubei Prov (think Wuhan) who has been in lock-down for 3 months asked me last night, "why all the panic when it's just like the flu?"

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have been talking with a few fellow RME'rs are the last post I made about the corona virus. I think I need to clarify a few points. The corona type viruses are not new and we have been dealing with them for a long time. The COVID19 strain is obviously a little different. It does often manifest in similar ways to some cold and flu strains we already have. Solid hygiene practices will kill it and most of us that catch it will not exhibit symptoms or be bothered in any way. The main problem with that is people will spread it without knowing it. I didn't mean my other post to sound like Covid 19 was not dangerous and that we shouldn't care at all. I was mostly posting about the virus type as a whole so we could learn a little about it. It is like the flu in many ways, but each person that gets it will infect more people that each person that gets the flu. The infection rate is 1.5-2 times higher.

I was at a neighbors house helping her take some carpet out to the garbage. She is 80 something years old and what took me and my family a few minutes would have taken her all day. After we got done she was grateful and we a gave her a hug before we left. She lives alone and is fairly isolated. Nothing will likely come of it, but as I thought about it we could have given her covid 19 without knowing it. I am certain she will die if she gets it.

I do think that the hoarding of toilet paper and bottled water is crazy, but this thing could really over run the hospitals. I have been reading some reports from Italy and the situation really is more dire than I realized. Health care is available, but all the sick in an area can't physically fit in the hospitals. The military is even helicoptering people to nearby locations for treatment. Many people are expected to take months to recover and often have permanent scar tissue in their lungs. @Troop92 had an experience that could be familiar to all of us when this thing peaks. There is medicine that can help, but we won't have access to it if too many people are sick at the same time.

I will not be keeping my family home from school or church or things like that (yet), but we will be more mindful.

Here is a decent article on some of the Myths surrounding this whole deal. I didn't fact check any of the statements. Just becasue it says science in the website title doesn't mean it is ;-)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I think cancelling large gatherings make sense from the perspective of minimizing risk and eliminating a potential biological threat. No organization wants to be responsible for spreading the virus. That goes for RR4W, churches, businesses, seminars, etc. Malicious people that contract the virus could certainly use it in a terrorist fashion to try and infect others they disagree with, i.e. SUWA against EJS, or anyone against a church. If that happened, the negative publicity would be overwhelming at no fault of the event organizers other than not cancelling.

I feel really bad for the small businesses that will feel the financial impact of the reduced customers. If I had a food service business, I sure as hell wouldn't want one of my employees coming to work sick and spreading it either though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am interested to see what the governor has to say at the briefing.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Is anyone else completely miffed about the NBA moth-balling the rest of the season? $8B annual revenue is cancelled at the drop of a hat? Either this flu is truly something much worse and nobody is fessing up about it, or there's something else going on... The puzzle pieces don't fit together for me. March Madness continues with empty arenas, yet the $8B NBA slams the door without hesitation.

Last edited:

rholbrook

My son is on his way from England this morning. He was able to catch a plane a day earlier than his normal plans. Thankfully he was able to get out before mass hysteria struck. We have a good friend that works for Delta and she messaged us last night and said that Delta had over 44K people on hold in the que to arrange flights. Luckily, we have a another empty house that he can go stay for a couple of weeks just to be safe and its not because I am paranoid but its because its the smart thing to do. He is young dumb and full of ......energy but it is the right thing to do. He is in his last semester at the U and bummed that he may not be able to walk for graduation next month. My wife is a little freaked out because I have a son in Scotland on a mission but he is safe and his mission president has kept us updated with plans in case they are needed but they were sent out to get specific food items that will last them 2 weeks if needed. He is good. We will also be headed on vacation and of course my wife thinks we should cancel the trip and I am of the opinion that I would rather be worried about it while stuck sitting on the beach than stuck in my house. I have a BIL and SIL that are Nucking Futs and they are calling my wife I bet 4 times an hour and I am not kidding. I finally told them this morning I was going to block their phones from calling any of my phones. The problem is the hysteria that it is causing.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Either this flu is truly something much worse

I mean, it absolutely is. The seasonal flu has a mortality rate of under .1%. This thing has a mortality rate of 2-4% at the current estimate, that's a lot worse. That's two to four people out of every hundred. Probably not you or I, but if you're old or otherwise infirm those are scary scary numbers. And even if you don't die, you've got the potential to be very very sick, and that many people being that sick is more than our hospitals can handle.

The precautions that are being taken against public gatherings are intended to slow the spread of the virus and help the vulnerable stay healthy. Morons hoarding bottled water should be laughed at, but I'm ok with us trying to get ahead of the curve and see if we can contain the virus before it gets out of hand.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
For anyone interested, the Athletics Department at the U will not have spectators at any sporting events for the rest of the semester. No official announcement yet, that'll probably come after the governors press conference.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I find it interesting that 1280 the zone is broadcasting their national affiliate rather than the local. I'd imagine that's a reaction by parent company (LHM something or other) to react to potential litigation in the case of someone getting ill? Those folks are in contact with Utah Jazz players, two of whom have been confirmed with the virus.

Our son on a mission in Virginia (Maryland Baltimore Mission) is a little freaked out. I'm not sure what he's hearing from people on the street vs what he's hearing from the church. We'll see how this goes. He's due to come home in late July.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I mean, it absolutely is. The seasonal flu has a mortality rate of under .1%. This thing has a mortality rate of 2-4% at the current estimate, that's a lot worse. That's two to four people out of every hundred. Probably not you or I, but if you're old or otherwise infirm those are scary scary numbers. And even if you don't die, you've got the potential to be very very sick, and that many people being that sick is more than our hospitals can handle.

The precautions that are being taken against public gatherings are intended to slow the spread of the virus and help the vulnerable stay healthy. Morons hoarding bottled water should be laughed at, but I'm ok with us trying to get ahead of the curve and see if we can contain the virus before it gets out of hand.

.000003% of the US population has tested positive... Color me skeptic on the severity; i'll eat crow down the line if this thing is as bad as some people say it could be...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
For anyone interested, the Athletics Department at the U will not have spectators at any sporting events for the rest of the semester. No official announcement yet, that'll probably come after the governors press conference.
To build on this, PAC-12 just announce the cancellation of all remaining events for the year. I suspect the U will announce that they'll close for 30 days. Looks like I'll be working from home for awhile (or at the super secret UIT "Emergency Operation Center").

rholbrook

There will be a big announcement at noon. The U was supposed to announce stuff at 9 am and then pushed to 10 am then pushed to noon for a bigger announcement that rumor has it be closing schools in the state. We shall see what happens at noon.