crawl ratio

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
125 to 1 here with a manual and tiny motor. Works good for me, could stand to be a little lower every now and then. New rig with an auto is going to be 55 to 1

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
lol, nope just talking from experience. I don't understand how I was tooting my own horn when I made zero references to my own driving ability.

At any rate, I could give you a play by play of typical toy dual case guys on a wall that requires wheel speed to climb, but I've already done it a few times on this board and you might find someway to interpret it as my lifestory complete with tragic love lost and self promoting accounts of how amazing the bacon I cook tastes.

edit:
here, I even found it so I don't have to write it
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=154330&postcount=22

for reference, there is nothing about my taste in hot air balloons, how much I bench press, or how extensive my knowledge of international politics is.

Like you have good taste in hot air balloons...:rolleyes: Only thing you know a lot about is hot air.:p

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Current: about 30 to 1, definitely need lower gears going downhill (and better brakes, but that's a different story)

New axles: about 35 to 1, we'll see how this feels, if I need I can still add a 4to1 in my 300 which would put me at 54 to 1

Cherokeester

I am 100 to 1 with my T18 tranny and 4-1 t-case. It is just right for me, I start in second when I am not in low range. 4th in low range is still pretty low and I wish my t-case shifted easier from low to high. But all in all I love the crawl.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
45:1 in the Cruiser (auto)
120:1 in the Commando (4 speed)

I wheeled the Cruiser for years with the SM465. Now that I run a TH400 I loved it. I thought I would Never go to an auto, but now that I have I would never go back,, for crawling that is.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
45:1 in the Cruiser (auto)
120:1 in the Commando (4 speed)

I wheeled the Cruiser for years with the SM465. Now that I run a TH400 I loved it. I thought I would Never go to an auto, but now that I have I would never go back,, for crawling that is.

Yup, auto rocks. :D

EDIT: :eek: The Blazer is at 31.1:1 hahahah wow yeah, the 4.56's will help some

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
85 cj 7 with t5 tranny 300 tc and 4.56 r&p and get 47.96 to 1 as my end result and thats with the 33's and I'm happy cause I can still do 75 on the freeway when needed... yet still crawl up most things...

Chevycrew

My toyota is about 84:1 with a v8, 5spd, np241, and 4.88 gears, with 38" sx's

Im virtually untested in large rocks. The debate is if I should add a second case or not. That would put low-low at 228:1

I know this is an old thread... But Im curious as well.

I know there is a wide variety of ratios out there. Just looking to expand this thread versus creating a new one.

Crinco

I'm at 46.73 to 1, with 42" tires and 300 HP. This works well for me everywhere but in the sand.

kake

Remember stopping can be an issue in an auto if you go too low. We upgraded from an Atlas II to a Stack in our comp buggy. It cost us a quite a few points at first. My driver had to get used to getting it out of gear because the lower gearing overpowered our braking system (disc brakes 4.3 V6). Rarely did we use the 5.44 option in the case which gave us a final crawl ratio of around 65.

Crinco

Can you not get through the sand in 4 hi?

Oh I can get around just fine in high range until I start climbing long steep hills, then I can't maintain the speed/wheel spin to push the sand. Plus the trans gets pretty hot when its hot outside and I am running around with 4 p.s.i. in the tires in high range climbing big hills with the pedal to the floor all the time :)

GreenYJ

I went from a 4banger, manual tranny, tera low, 5.13 gears 36 tires to---->
4.3 V6 + SM465 + tera-low 231 + 5.13 diff + 36"tires= 134:1
To be honest....I haven't gone wheeling....just tested things out around my neighborhood. It sounds and feels promising. From reading the posts I don't know how it will stack up....I plan on taking a trip saturday. Finally get to test it out for real!

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I think the theme here is: it depends what your rig is and what you want to do with it. If you have a weak 4popper and a manuel and big tires you'll need a lower ratio and that could be anywhere from 60:1 to 200:1 depends if you like to creepy crawl. If your rocking a auto I have read not to go deeper than 80:1 or you'll over power the brakes, remember the torque converter almost doubles that. That said i have a 156hp 185lbs V6 and 30:1 for my crawl ratio with 35's

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
some help me out here Im running 5.13 gears in my YJ with the AX-15 and stock 231 what is my crawl ratio before and after the 4-1 kit in the t-case

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Okay Skippy a AX-15+NP 231+ 5.13:1 gears=53.25 in first gear
The AX-15+NP 231 4:1 kit+ 5.13:1 gears+= 78.59 in first gear
So your sitting not too bad but i might go a little lower on the transfer like a 4.3 or 4.8 but i don't think they sell kits that low for the NP231

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
ok after i get a SYE for the 231 and a 4-1 kit im almost 1200 bucks is there a better option for a t-case thats i will come out cheaper on and get a lower gear ratio