Debate over RS and Con----Why are we as 4WD enthusiasts our own worst enemy at times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I can agree with a 2foot square sign. I'll help erect it, if you need someone to play on the puter for sizes of fonts and stuff, I'm here. my visual was to see about the size of the trail header, wording, and whatever. Easy to redo. tell me what you REALLY want it to say.
Idiot out.........

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by bobdog

Get the plate I'll bring my rifle(300 mag). I don't know for sure but I think it may penetrate. There are a lot of really big guns out there these days.
If it won't work I'll have to buy that 50 I always wanted.
It won't. My 7mm mag wouldn't even dent it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Skyetone
I can agree with a 2foot square sign. I'll help erect it, ...

Alright there is another member of the "installation" team

And Jeremy and bobdog can do the "destructive testing" prior to final construction... :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Heres the list so far...

Sign Wording
MBryson - cause he is smart
EZ Rhino - he is also smart
Jeremey - he is a truck driver - they see signs all day - he knows signs ;)
Skyetone - cause if he understands it, everyone will ;)

Construction
Spenceraui - professionally made signs
Supergpr - aluminum
Vonski X - steel
James K - $$$ (sugar Daddy :D)

Installation
cruiseroutfit - Mad Skills
Skyetone - hmmmm
cruiser - we will strap the signs to his exo-cage
shawn - he will test is resistance to vehicles
greg - so he gets out :D

Maintainance
Everyone!

So how about it "sign wording" team... do you have something to present?

muleskinner

Originally posted by Hickey
It won't. My 7mm mag wouldn't even dent it.

?? What bullets you shooting, HP's? Ballistic tips? I guarentee your 7mag will shoot through 3/8 plate without any probs with a hunting bullet. Iv'e shot through it with mine before. I shot a foot long piece of 1/4 angle iron laying on the ground to prove a point, and it went through it so fast it didn't move the angle:D sorry, back to the subject. Uhh I can provide the 8x20 ft trailer if Sky makes the sign;) or help out whenever. Here's a 1/2 plate sign for ya.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Nice example pic!

So, if we use one piece of 1/4" with cut the letters out, then another piece of 1/4" behind it like OCNORB suggested, will that be enough to hold off most guns?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The color rating scale may not be best with the double layer cut steel signs. It's pretty easy to cut a four out of a plate, but much more difficult to cut blue out of the plate. I think we should use the RR4W 1-5 rating scale. I would rate RS a 3, and Con a 4+. We should take a poll of what people think the ratings should be, then average the results. The only people that can participate in the poll are people that have seen the trails in person.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
What the hell are you talking about? Cut blue out of a plate? The square (more difficult blue square) is cut out of the "sign" plate and the "backing" plate is welded to it. Before welding the "backing" plate it is painted white for the letters and blue for the square!

Moab scale 1-5:

First off, where do you get off rating Con a 4+? Anything that has a winch only obstacle is a 5. Period.

Yeah, I can see your point, but lets face it some people aren't familiar with it. So this trail is a 3? Out of what, 10 ? Out of 5? Out of 100? With the ski ratings it is more obvious, and since there are only four increments (green circle, blue sq., black diamond, double diamond) it is easier to rate the trail rather than the ten increments of the Moab scale (3, 3+, 4, 4+, etc.) In Colorado the system is 1-10 I believe. Other places rate things in other ways. I'm following the KISS rule.

Besides the shape rating system is prettier on a sign :) and illiterate people can distinguish the rating:D

EZ

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think four wheelers are in general are more familiar with the Moab 1-5 scale than they are the ski slope scale. Take a poll... It's the same thing, with the ski slope thing you are rating a trail on a scale from one to four, on the RR4w scale you are rating it from one to five. Also, if the sign goes too long without painting, you can still read the numbers. If a non-skier comes to a sign and it has a circle, and the next sign has a square, they are not going to have any idea which one is harder, but if one has a 2, and the other has a 3, it's pretty easy to tell which is harder. What does everyone else think? You can rate Con a 5, I don't care (I do think that'll attract more yahoos though), but there are many more difficult trails out there. Upper Proving Grounds and Upper Helldorado both come to mind. How hard is it to winch up a rock face? Very hard if you don't have a winch, but if you have a winch it's really not that hard. By far the easiest obstacle on Upper Helldorado is the winch only waterfall.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I see your point. However:

Let's not compare 5mp trails to Moab. There is no comparison. Con is the harderst thing in these here parts. Also, it may be easy for you to winch up a face but winching something of Eagles Nest in magnitude does require some skill and know how. The majority of normal (non-competition) wheelers do not go on trails that require winch-only obstacles. All I'm saying is, it's not the norm.

I don't think you understand what the sign is going to look like. OK, one more time: The "shape" be it a square, diamond, etc. will be CUT OUT of the sign just like a number would be. The painted color is only to offset it and make it purdy. It wouldn't be any harder or easier to see than the number rating would be. Also, the description "more difficult, most difficult", etc. is under the shape indicating beyond doubt what you are up against. It is just a simpler way of doing it I think.

EZ

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Okay, color aside, it's easier to see that 4 is harder than 3, that it is to see that square is harder than circle. "What's this trail rated?" "Square, on a scale from circle, to double diamond."
Can we get some other opinions on this? Rate the trails by shape, or by number?

Status
Not open for further replies.