Debate over RS and Con----Why are we as 4WD enthusiasts our own worst enemy at times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by muleskinner

?? What bullets you shooting, HP's? Ballistic tips? I guarentee your 7mag will shoot through 3/8 plate without any probs with a hunting bullet.
I don't remember what I was shooting, but is was 4 years ago, and from 300 yards away.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Originally posted by Hickey
EZrhino, I had no Idea that ski folk even had a rating system until this thread. I vote for the moab scale. Call Con a 5.

You have GOT to be kidding me. You live in the state with the greatest snow on earth and have never heard of a black diamond?

EZ:confused:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by EZRhino

You have GOT to be kidding me. You live in the state with the greatest snow on earth and have never heard of a black diamond?

EZ:confused:
yeah, black diamond, it's an outdoor equipment company.

Shocking as it may seem, some people in this state do not Snow Ski.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Con........5

RS..............3+. Maybe a 3.....dunno.
Depends on the line, I guess. The trail needs to be rated by the easiest mandatory obstacle.

EZ

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Once a clear trend is evident from the poll (please only vote once...) I will post a poll asking people to rate RS and CON using whatever rating system emerged from the first poll. Seem fair?

Pathos

Trail raiting description start at 2
riped from another online offroad club (azvjc.org) :

+ A plus sign by the trail rating indicates that this trail will have obstacles that are more difficult, and/or have many obstacles. For instance, a "4+" will be Difficult 4WD trail with many 4.0 rated obstacles and some optional 4.5 rated obstacles.

- A minus sign by the trail rating indicates that this trail will be less difficult, and may have only a few obstacles. For instance, a "3.0-" trail will be mostly a Easy 4WD trail with one or two non-optional obstacles that are more challenging

2: Easy 2WD/4WD: Features trails with obstacles that are easy to navigate. In optimum weather conditions, these trails may not require the continual use of four-wheel drive (4WD).

2.5: Easy 4WD: Moderately demanding trails on which 4WD will be required. You may encounter a wide variety of challenges (Potholes, minor washouts, medium size rocks, and mud holes) on these trails. Higher ground clearance and Off-Road tires are recommended.

3: Standard 4WD trail: Demanding trails on which 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Possible with stock 4WD vehicle, however, recommend traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Low range gears used often. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

3.5: Challenging 4WD trail: Challenging trails on which low range 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Not recommended with stock 4WD vehicle. Traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure highly recommended. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

4: Difficult trail: These trails traverse very rugged terrain; low-range 4WD is required. Higher than stock ground clearance is required. Aggressive tread and low air pressure are required. Traction Devices (Lockers or limited-slip) in the differentials (front and rear), lift, and larger tires are highly recommended. These trails require above average Off-Road driving skills. High-Lift jacks and winches would also be helpful. There will likely be paint damage and possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage.

4.5: Extreme trail: These trails cross extremely rugged terrain with very steep inclines, large boulders, and potentially dangerous situations. These trails require modified vehicles, including lift, lockers, and over-sized tires. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. There will likely be paint damage, possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage. There are possibilities of rollovers. Winches are recommended.

5: Impassable trail: These trails are for the extreme four-wheeler only. These trails require highly modified vehicles, including lift, excellent articulation, lockers front and rear, large tires with aggressive tread, winches, high lift jacks. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. Paint damage is virtually guaranteed, body and/or mechanical damage is very likely. Rollovers will be more common on these trails and a winch will be used on at least one obstacle.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey EZ! Not to rain on your parade, but I ain't gonna be Skiing down RattleSnake or the Con. :D

I say a 1-5 Scale..... people can figure out that it gets harder as the # increases, weather it matches the Moab Scale or not.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Pathos......so you're one of the three musketeers then?

OK Greg......I'll just print off that sheet that our good friend and sword bearer Pathos posted and take 20 minutes reading it each time I hit the trail to be sure I'm running a trail that's not too hard for me....I'll just read through all that garbage about whether a trail is a + or a - and whether I have the needed equpiment and if my paint will remain on my vehicle........LOL

Just kidding. 1-5 if fine, 4x4's understand it. The ski thing is more universal though. We don't want to offend any of our Mt. Bike bretheren......LOL

EZ:)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by EZRhino
We don't want to offend any of our Mt. Bike bretheren......LOL

EZ:)
What? mountain bikers aren't aware of the Moab scale? Man, Moab would be a great place to go mountain biking! They should really try it!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I like the signs wording but, It should have a 1-5 rating system.
Because most wheelers read mags that show the ratings of trails as a 1-5. JMO.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Fine, since this discussion resembles a dog chasing its tail in circles, let's just scrap the entire thing. The sign will now say this:

Attachments

• sign2.jpg
    sign2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.