Definition of "Big Boys"

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There has been a lot of talk about the "Big Boys" or the "big" crowd on this board. Please post your definition of this term, and who/what fits into this category. It is becoming a steroetype, and I don't understand where it applies...

Please name who you think fits in the categorie and why. Keep this specific to RME Members.

Please keep it serious.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
There are very few that I would choose a "Big Dog". There are even more that I think they think they are.

Big Dogs:
Kevin Hawkins
Craig Stump

From The Board:
Carl Wittmore (I hope this is how you spell hin name)
Tracy 1/4 Eleptic
I guess Suka
I would like to think that I'm one

These are just the locals, and I know I'm missing some.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Let's keep this board Specific. there are some people who seem to think that half the people on here are "BIG", and I would like to see what everyones perception is.

jp008

Big Dogs=Anyone that can talk the talk AND walk the walk. / When someone talks about wheelin I do not need hip waders.

I have no specific names here but I think Shawn pretty much covered it. (there might be a few more)

The Big Dogs also have a certain mentality.
It's not -----"I can't do that because it will scratch my vehicle"
It is however-----"Oooooohhh, Aaaaaaaaaaah,oh He)) ya. Let's do it."

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Well, I could take the definition of 'big dogs' a few steps further....

Well built rigs

Ready to try just about anything

Can usually do it, and if not they put on a heck of a show (kind of like JP008 said above)

Promote the sport in a positive way with a positive attitude towards everyone regardless of how built their rig is

[edit]
I decided to remove my list. After reading SRN's post, I think he's right. Naming names does nothing other than fuel someone's ego (or crack it if they think they should be listed and they are not).
[/edit]

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
if you have more tube than body work.....or if you have plans for the future to hack the hell out of your ride...you MIGHT be a big dawg.

If you have dana 60s ,or the equivelent, on a vehicle that never came stock with them....you might be a big dawg.

If you compete you might be a big dawg.

If you have tires larger than 33", you might be a big dawg.....

If you don't soil yourself at the thought of body damage or if you shrug it off as un-important....you might be a big dawg.....

If your vehicle is no longer street legal....you might be a big dawg....street legal to a UHP officer is different than your "BUDDY" that "Takes care of you"

If you have more than 1 lever on yout transfer case....you might be a big dawg.

If you have more money into your trail vehicle than your tow rig....you might be a big dawg....

If you are approaching twice the horsepower than your vehicle had stock....you might be a big dawg.....

If you have more than one transfer case in your drivetrain you might be a big dawg.....

If you have a crawl ratio above 50:1 you might be a big dawg....

Takle heed that these are all "MIGHTS".

Ohh and society NEEDS stereotypes....they help us reduce thought time in critical situations but they do have adverse affects if abused. stating that we only have the choice of good or bad in reference to stereotypes is a false dichotomy.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by SRN
I'm just gonna point out that this thread is a BAD idea. It's only going to fuel the stereotyping.

I think writing a defination of 'big dogs' is not a terrible idea, but putting names to it tends to be not such a great idea. I have removed my list from my earlier post.

I like spence's comments......a-la "You might be a redneck"

If you're a big dog, you might be a redneck........

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just see all these posts about "big" where people are whining, such as, "why do the big dogs have to do this? and what about us little guys who can't afford to blah lah blah" It's getting old, and I really don't think you can "Define" big dawgs. I think there is no such thing.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I guess when it comes down to it spenc is right I wish I had a built rig that i dared to do some of the extreme trails but I have a samurai. I think a big dog is some one with a well built rig and dares to try the hard stuff.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Jeremy
I just see all these posts about "big" where people are whining, such as, "why do the big dogs have to do this? and what about us little guys who can't afford to blah lah blah" It's getting old, and I really don't think you can "Define" big dawgs. I think there is no such thing.

define per se....no.... give a rough idea, probably not....get in the ballpark as far as equipment used....ya....maybe....

so basically you are right....I don't consider myself hardcore or a big dawg but when you are starting modifications, everything other than stock looks extreme....

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I think there needs to be a mix of built rigs in the forum. From a stock rig to a mildly built rig to extreme built rigs. I plan on building my rig up alot more so I like being able to ask around to all teh guys that have more modified rig how they did it or how they like what they did. I've asked spenc alot o fquestions about his sami he's probably tired of me. I like having the mix. just as long as the guy's with the more modified rigs don't look down on the guys with close to stock crap and make fun then there's no problem. I'm sure no one on this forum would look down at each other.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai
I don't consider myself hardcore or a big dawg but when you are starting modifications, everything other than stock looks extreme....
THIS was the statement I was looking for. I also do not consider myself a Big dawg, but in a discussion, I always find myself defending the big side... Maybe it's the case of the haves and have nots... or maybe Jealousy, I don't know.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
I think there needs to be a mix of built rigs in the forum. From a stock rig to a mildly built rig to extreme built rigs. I plan on building my rig up alot more so I like being able to ask around to all teh guys that have more modified rig how they did it or how they like what they did. I've asked spenc alot o fquestions about his sami he's probably tired of me. I like having the mix. just as long as the guy's with the more modified rigs don't look down on the guys with close to stock crap and make fun then there's no problem. I'm sure no one on this forum would look down at each other.
I wish everyome shared your views. I see more of the highly built guys gettin reamed by the lesser built guys more than the adverse.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
or maybe jealousy

I'll be the first one to say that I'm jealouse of the guy's with a rig thats built more then mine but I figure good for them they already got what some day I mit have they just got there before me.