Definition of "Big Boys"

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk

I'll be the first one to say that I'm jealouse of the guy's with a rig thats built more then mine but I figure good for them they already got what some day I mit have they just got there before me.
Don't be jealous, be patient. This is what I started wheeling with.

fc2eeda8.jpg

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I think the one thing that is being left out of this conversation is Who.

Almost anyone can drive a "Well Built" Rig. But it's the drive who makes such a rig work.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Shawn
I think the one thing that is being left out of this conversation is Who.

Almost anyone can drive a "Well Built" Rig. But it's the driver who makes such a rig work.

true, it is also the driver that takes the not so built rig and still makes the routes look easy

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by BlackSheep

true, it is also the driver that takes the not so built rig and still makes the routes look easy

That's who I like to watch the most....... a dude with a mild lift and 32" tires, and enough experience to walk things that I engage the lockers in to try.

The prospector trails in Moab were established by early CJ's {or 'cruisers...hate to ruffle any feathers with the 'Jeep' thing there} when 31" tires were 'big' and 33" tires were "HUGE"....

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
THIS was the statement I was looking for. I also do not consider myself a Big dawg, but in a discussion, I always find myself defending the big side... Maybe it's the case of the haves and have nots... or maybe Jealousy, I don't know.

then what was all that crap in the beginning of this thread asking for names??

You're just looking for another argument are'nt you??

;)

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Big dawg is some one who enjoys the sport and is willing to help the "little dawgs" out.

It's all about learning something new.

My Jeepster is built up, but there is always some one with something bigger, better and stronger.

Not to mention I just don't consider myself to be a great driver so I compinsate(sp) with mods.:D

Mainly just because I like to do the mods:D

P

pokeyYJ

Like everyone else has said, it is hard to define "BIG", but my point of view comes from the "little " side of the argument.

I would say that you are approaching "BIG"-dom, if you need a trailer to get your rig to the trail.

But more likely than not, I would say that being a "BIG dawg" is more of a mental state than a physical attribute.

People that I think fall into the "BIG dawg" category, (from RME only, and don't hate me if I left you out)

Jeremy
Shawn
All the guys that compete
Spencuri
MBryson
Grocery getter

That is all that I can think of right now, but you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Like everyone else has said, it is hard to define "BIG", but my point of view comes from the "little " side of the argument.

I would say that you are approaching "BIG"-dom, if you need a trailer to get your rig to the trail.

you should have highlighted 'need'. I trailer my rig everywhere it goes. This is not because I can't drive it on the street, but because my truck is a lot more comfy. It also is great peace of mind when I run a trail knowing if I break, all I have to do is make it back to the trailer.

Also, when I think if big dogs, I think of NASCAR. Richard Petty is arguably the best ambassador to the sport of stock car racing that the world has ever seen. Why.....His attitude. Some of the guys on this board (me included at times) display a rather argumentative attitude that I wouldn't consider being suitable for a 'big dog'.

Caleb

Originally posted by spencurai
if you have more tube than body work.....or if you have plans for the future to hack the hell out of your ride...you MIGHT be a big dawg.

If you have dana 60s ,or the equivelent, on a vehicle that never came stock with them....you might be a big dawg.

If you compete you might be a big dawg.

If you have tires larger than 33", you might be a big dawg.....

If you don't soil yourself at the thought of body damage or if you shrug it off as un-important....you might be a big dawg.....

If your vehicle is no longer street legal....you might be a big dawg....street legal to a UHP officer is different than your "BUDDY" that "Takes care of you"

If you have more than 1 lever on yout transfer case....you might be a big dawg.

If you have more money into your trail vehicle than your tow rig....you might be a big dawg....

If you are approaching twice the horsepower than your vehicle had stock....you might be a big dawg.....

If you have more than one transfer case in your drivetrain you might be a big dawg.....

If you have a crawl ratio above 50:1 you might be a big dawg....

Takle heed that these are all "MIGHTS".

Ohh and society NEEDS stereotypes....they help us reduce thought time in critical situations but they do have adverse affects if abused. stating that we only have the choice of good or bad in reference to stereotypes is a false dichotomy.

well I match everyone of those except for the competing one and there is no way in hell I am a big dog...I know you said they are mights...

Don't be jealous, be patient.

Couldn;t say it better myself...I have been building (note: not able to drive it at all) my Jeep for about two years now...I wheeled with stock axles on 35s for a little while, then I swapped in a D44 and 9" and wheeled them for a short while then I did a major tear down and this is where I am at now...two years is a long time and my patience is running out but to get where I ultimately wanted to be (for now:p) has taken time, money, and lots and lots of patience...I dont feel bad for the guys that cry about their rig isn;t built enough or this or that...find a new trail if you cant do the one you want to without tearig it up or changing it too drasticly...roll with the punches, the "new" rocks on RS are just andother punch you need to roll with...get used to it everything changes over time...including your rig, I garauntee it;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by pokeyYJ

People that I think fall into the "BIG dawg" category, (from RME only, and don't hate me if I left you out)

Spencuri

sorry dude...I only qualify as a big dawg due to my waist line.....;)

homerfatpride.jpg

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I think it would be cool if this forum had a reader rigs if you will where everyone put's there rig in and say what they have done so when some one is thinking of doing a up grade then they could just look in hte reader rigs forum and look up all the jeeps if he has a jeep or what ever kind he has. then he could pm the person and ask them so how do o yu like you up grade I'm thinking of doing that. Just a thought for the moderaters or Greg.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
I think it would be cool if this forum had a reader rigs if you will where everyone put's there rig in and say what they have done so when some one is thinking of doing a up grade then they could just look in hte reader rigs forum and look up all the jeeps if he has a jeep or what ever kind he has. then he could pm the person and ask them so how do o yu like you up grade I'm thinking of doing that. Just a thought for the moderaters or Greg.
great idea....I will open the request for discussion in the moderators forum...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So Pokey,

I'm very flattered that you'd put me in that category, but I think I'm more of a 'middle' dawg. I think that your definition could be described by those that think the trail that causes so much controversy {Rattlesnake--and I don't want to get that involved in this discussion at all} is basicly a nice 'test area' for their rigs changes.

If that trail is a 'milk-run' and your rig doesn't break a sweat doing it, you'd be a 'big dawg'? Correct?

We could add a lot of names to that list, but I kind of like the idea of not naming people.

My comments:

I also like the attitude comment from BlackSheep. I barely got to work on my rig when it broke, 'cause two 'big dawgs' were in the way {thanks again, guys, you know who you are}. That's off-roading, IMHO. A group of dudes/dudettes that know the capabilities of their rig, and push it to it's outer limits. There's also a 'sense' of ownership of the group that goes with the 'dawgs'.

I've ran with guys that have been Jeeping for 20+ years and just put 'new, big' 33" tires on their -5's, and they can climb stuff in that little simple rig that make any of us sweat. I'd count them as 'big dawgs' also.

UROC (or other) competitors: After a few comps, I think you are a 'dawg' if you are at all competitive (not pointing out on EVERY obstacle). That's some funky stuff that gets done there, and most rigs go home in one piece. Hat's off dudes (not for long, as I'll get a sunburn)

Edit: I just read SRN's post below and he has a very valid point. Guys that have contributed to the 'sport' for a long time, expecting nothing in return except what they get on the trail. I don't know many of the RR4W members, but it cannot be denied that they have contributed (some members more than others, I'm sure) to the growth of the sport in and around Moab. ANY that I've ran across on the trail have been exceptional Jeepers and fun (some in their own way) to have on a trail ride.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So, does a Big Dog have to own a running, driving Rig? :D

Even if my Toy were running, I'm not a Big Dog in my mind. I drive like a pansy and prefer to keep from scattering parts.

I think the phrase 'Big Dog' is percieved often by Tire Size, but isn't a very accurant measurement.

Last weekend on Upper Helldorado there was this guy with a Cruiser on 2.5 Ton Rockwell axles, 44" TSL's, Coilovers and a 1/4 Ellip. suspension. Sounds pretty 'Hardcore', eh? The owner drove like the thing was a brand new BMW-Luxo wagon. He got 'Body-damage' which included scratching some bedliner off his Tube Fenders..... :rolleyes:

So is it all about attitude? Not all, but partly. It's a combination of things. Why are you there? Are you having fun? How do you treat others? Thats my take......

P

pokeyYJ

The sense that I am getting after reading some more posts is that, it all depends on perspective.

I, being a "little dawg", see you guys go and climb these INSANE obstacles. And then you turn around and do it in reverse(in some cases), and that in my mind qualifies you for BIG DAWG title.

Others, like mBryson was saying, don't see themselves as big dawgs. Rather they look at guys that have been around for ages and can drive like a bat out of hell. To them this qualifies as BIG DAWG.

Oh and P.S. Greg, right now you are in a side category, something that I like to call, BIG DAWG but chained to the porch at the moment!;) :p