Desert Therapy Session Jan 5-7

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
@johngottfredson why are you holding out on us with that interesting JT shell?!?
Since I bought, not built, I didn’t post anything because it felt like it would be Stolen Valor.

Here’s the build thread:

IMG_5225.jpeg
Fits our family of 7, they love summer canyon drives. I’m wanting to lift the back end up 2 more inches, swap out wheels/tires for something that doesn’t poke out past the fenders, and figure out a custom soft top that looks something like this:

IMG_5707.jpeg

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since I bought, not built, I didn’t post anything because it felt like it would be Stolen Valor.

Here’s the build thread:

View attachment 168414
Fits our family of 7, they love summer canyon drives. I’m wanting to lift the back end up 2 more inches, swap out wheels/tires for something that doesn’t poke out past the fenders, and figure out a custom soft top that looks something like this:

View attachment 168415
That’s pretty cool.

Thursty

On Saturday morning I met the bulk of the group who had camped at Copper Globe the night before. It was great to chat for a bit and finally put some faces to screen names. This was my first time getting out and meeting anyone from RME and, although it was just a short meet and greet, I really enjoyed it. After a few minutes the group was eager to put down some miles and so we parted ways. While they headed down the trail I kicked around Copper Globe for a bit (my first time being there) before heading home. I hope the rest of the group had a fun and safe remainder of their trip. Here are a few of my pics from Saturday.
IMG_2626.jpegIMG_2622.jpegIMG_2642.jpegIMG_2643.jpegIMG_2644.jpegIMG_2647.jpegIMG_2670.jpegIMG_2674.jpegIMG_2658.jpeg
Obligatory vehicle shot.
IMG_2668.jpeg

DAA

Here’s the build thread:

View attachment 168414

View attachment 168415

Super cool rig! Was a pleasure to finally put a face with the text.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Oh, heavens no! A man has to know his limits.

- DAA

uhl68.jpg

...interesting version I don't remember from the movies?
70f4108ef4843fa31842d03c6f638808.jpg

...or this is if you prefer the "western" version
oc.Linkedin0726-Clint.jpg

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
On Saturday morning I met the bulk of the group who had camped at Copper Globe the night before. It was great to chat for a bit and finally put some faces to screen names. This was my first time getting out and meeting anyone from RME and, although it was just a short meet and greet, I really enjoyed it. After a few minutes the group was eager to put down some miles and so we parted ways. While they headed down the trail I kicked around Copper Globe for a bit (my first time being there) before heading home. I hope the rest of the group had a fun and safe remainder of their trip. Here are a few of my pics from Saturday.
View attachment 168429View attachment 168430View attachment 168431View attachment 168432View attachment 168433View attachment 168435View attachment 168436
I've kept meaning to read up on that Lopez Massacre and your pic reminded me. Thanks.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I missed all of Friday, bumming around town with a busted fuel pump. @anderson750 sent me to Dan Piccolo at Superior Auto who went above and beyond to source a replacement pump out of Salt Lake and stayed at his shop until 9pm to get me back on the road. I can't say enough good about the fellow and his employees. Five stars, will bust my fuel pump in Price again. Somebody else will have to fill you all in on Friday's adventure.

I jammed out soon as the truck was running and got out to where the group was camped at Copper Globe about 1130 that night. The Moore Cutoff at night is a little creepy. Rallying the shit out of the Copper Globe trail in the snow and dark was fun as hell. It was cold and everyone was in bed when I got there so I threw up the tent as fast I could and crashed out. The forecast was for low 20s, @Gravy said his thermometer saw mid-teens? It was cold.

Saturday morning we hung about until @Thursty showed up and got to chat a bit, but he wasn't able to join us for the rest of the day so we got moving shortly after. Made our way across the top of Link Flats and through Cat Canyon, checking out rock art and cowboy glyphs along the way, then I managed to take a wrong turn (I think at the bottom of Mussentuchit Flat) and we ended up all the way down Last Chance Canyon before I caught it and we redirecting into Cathedral Valley. Losing light, we fought our way along some terrible washboard until @TRD270 found us a reasonable spot to camp. We set up and those of that are sane and reasonable ate tacos, and then we chatted around the fire until it got too cold and we called it a night (some of us earlier than others).

Sunday we slept in a little and got rolling some time after nine, stopped at a couple sites in Cathedral Valley, then jammed out Caineville Rd to pavement. Most of us (again, the sane and reasonable ones) met Thursty at Ray's for a burger and then we were on our way. Just a little snow coming over the top of Soldier, wasn't too bad, and now I'm showered and ready to go back.

@Gravy earned his Overlander merit badge for leaving his house with no agenda and bumming around the desert for a couple days with no plan and no real accomplishments and still enjoying himself. He's already trying to figure out how he's gonna get wontons under that Liberty.

@Rot Box earned his I Don't Like Tacos merit badge because he is not sane and reasonable, and earned his First Blood merit badge for getting his rocker panel into a fight with a rock and losing.

@DAA earned his I Don't Need A Map merit badge, for needing a map and not having it.

I earned my Most Expensive Camping Trip Yet badge, for obvious reasons.

I took a couple pics.

1704685491383.png

Windey canyon-bottom routes are the best.

1704685531563.png

A motley crew.

1704685566553.png

You can be a big pig too.

1704685617875.png

When he's a rock star, this is going to be an awesome album cover.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I missed all of Friday, bumming around town with a busted fuel pump. @anderson750 sent me to Dan Piccolo at Superior Auto who went above and beyond to source a replacement pump out of Salt Lake and stayed at his shop until 9pm to get me back on the road. I can't say enough good about the fellow and his employees. Five stars, will bust my fuel pump in Price again. Somebody else will have to fill you all in on Friday's adventure.

I jammed out soon as the truck was running and got out to where the group was camped at Copper Globe about 1130 that night. The Moore Cutoff at night is a little creepy. Rallying the shit out of the Copper Globe trail in the snow and dark was fun as hell. It was cold and everyone was in bed when I got there so I threw up the tent as fast I could and crashed out. The forecast was for low 20s, @Gravy said his thermometer saw mid-teens? It was cold.

Saturday morning we hung about until @Thursty showed up and got to chat a bit, but he wasn't able to join us for the rest of the day so we got moving shortly after. Made our way across the top of Link Flats and through Cat Canyon, checking out rock art and cowboy glyphs along the way, then I managed to take a wrong turn (I think at the bottom of Mussentuchit Flat) and we ended up all the way down Last Chance Canyon before I caught it and we redirecting into Cathedral Valley. Losing light, we fought our way along some terrible washboard until @TRD270 found us a reasonable spot to camp. We set up and those of that are sane and reasonable ate tacos, and then we chatted around the fire until it got too cold and we called it a night (some of us earlier than others).

Sunday we slept in a little and got rolling some time after nine, stopped at a couple sites in Cathedral Valley, then jammed out Caineville Rd to pavement. Most of us (again, the sane and reasonable ones) met Thursty at Ray's for a burger and then we were on our way. Just a little snow coming over the top of Soldier, wasn't too bad, and now I'm showered and ready to go back.

@Gravy earned his Overlander merit badge for leaving his house with no agenda and bumming around the desert for a couple days with no plan and no real accomplishments and still enjoying himself. He's already trying to figure out how he's gonna get wontons under that Liberty.

@Rot Box earned his I Don't Like Tacos merit badge because he is not sane and reasonable, and earned his First Blood merit badge for getting his rocker panel into a fight with a rock and losing.

@DAA earned his I Don't Need A Map merit badge, for needing a map and not having it.

I earned my Most Expensive Camping Trip Yet badge, for obvious reasons.

I took a couple pics.

View attachment 168520

Windey canyon-bottom routes are the best.

View attachment 168523

A motley crew.

View attachment 168526

You can be a big pig too.

View attachment 168528

When he's a rock star, this is going to be an awesome album cover.
Thanks for putting up with the lack of filter on my wife for a couple hours. Glad you got back on the road Friday.