Digging into the 22RE

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
From my old, OLD Toyota build... (good hell, this was over 9 years ago!!)

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?4550-7MGE-Swap-update

attachment.php

sixstringsteve

Steve, how much did the adapters for your duals end up running you?

All in all, it cost me about $1300 (including drivelines, a spare case, and the 23 spline input). I think that the adapters alone are around $758-800? It'd be worth calling Low Range.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I know the 7M is all the rage, but maybe consider a 2.7L 4cyl from a Taco? I'd think it would fit in there more easily than an I-6, and be an awesome upgrade at the same time.

x How ever many now

I plan to drop one of these in my runner in the next few years to make it more appealing to drive on the road for more expeditionish trips

zukijames

the 1uz is almost exact same length as 22re its just wider .. just saying!

but really a 2.7 would be sweet more power and lighter than a 22re ! and like mentioned revs like crazy!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Steve, you kept the left handed taco t-case, where as Kevin probably has solid axle or older ifs?
So, it may not cost as much, depending on what tranny he runs.
I believe he could keep his W56 and use a W59 bell housing.
Or run a R150 and get an adapter to run duals.

Yeah, you guys are starting to sell me on the 3rz. There's an adapter harness on the market to make the wiring easy, and the w59 housing will let me run a w56 trans and get cheap duals.

Steve, your truck is about the weight of my 4Runner, how fast do you climb Parleys or US6? Can your Taco handle 80-85 mph on the flat with power left for passing?

sixstringsteve

I have 4.88s. I geared it a bit high so I'd get better MPG. With 5.29s I think I'd have more pep for passing. I'm guessing my truck is a lot heavier than your runner. If you want power and speed/acceleration, I'd go with one of the bigger motors. I'm very happy with the power/speed of my truck, but many people would want more. I can do 80-85 mph on the flat, but I don't have power to pass people at 90.

On the way back from the Rubicon:
IMG_0742.JPG

My speedo is off, so that was about 85-87 MPH.

I don't climb parley's fast. I'm in 4th most of the time, sometimes I drop to 3rd. I think gearing has a lot to do with it. Like I said, not a powerhouse, but a fantastic motor. Great torque, loves to rev, and I haven't replaced a thing on it w/176k.

Kevin B.

Yours is a 1st gen, right? You've got about 100 pounds on me, if Wikipedia is to be believed. In stock trim, anyway.

Not climbing Parleys fast is fine, as long as it can be called climbing. I used to have to take that one steep stretch in second at about 30, so actually keeping up with traffic would be great. I've got 5.29s and 33s on now. Maybe I'd need to go to 35s in self defence, I don't wanna regear again! :D

sixstringsteve

some of the taco guys run 5.29s with 33s, but their MPGs suck. I think 35's would rock with that gearing.

I have a 1st gen with some extra weight:

- sliders (~ 70 lbs? which you have too)
- rear bumper (~ 60 lbs which you also have)
- heavy skidplates (~100 lbs)
- dual cases - (50 lbs?)
- shell and sleeping platform (~300 lbs?)
- 35's and 17s (though I went with some of the lightest tires and wheels available)
- spare parts/gear/tools (add 200+ lbs for that)

so yeah, we're probably pretty close on final weights.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Once again, my truck is not fast. It is faster than a 22re in a stock truck, and I get 18-20 mpg. I love this motor though. They're very stout. i'll bet you could throw a turbo/sc on it and get it moving quickly. I know bigmike (marlin's son) has a 2.7 with a turbo (or was it a SC?) and he likes it more than a 3.4L. Plus the 2.7s are quite light, which is nice.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Yours is a 1st gen, right? You've got about 100 pounds on me, if Wikipedia is to be believed. In stock trim, anyway.

Not climbing Parleys fast is fine, as long as it can be called climbing. I used to have to take that one steep stretch in second at about 30, so actually keeping up with traffic would be great. I've got 5.29s and 33s on now. Maybe I'd need to go to 35s in self defence, I don't wanna regear again! :D

Dibs on the 33s if you move up to 35s.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have 4.88s. I geared it a bit high so I'd get better MPG. With 5.29s I think I'd have more pep for passing. I'm guessing my truck is a lot heavier than your runner. If you want power and speed/acceleration, I'd go with one of the bigger motors. I'm very happy with the power/speed of my truck, but many people would want more. I can do 80-85 mph on the flat, but I don't have power to pass people at 90.

On the way back from the Rubicon:
IMG_0742.JPG

My speedo is off, so that was about 85-87 MPH.

I don't climb parley's fast. I'm in 4th most of the time, sometimes I drop to 3rd. I think gearing has a lot to do with it. Like I said, not a powerhouse, but a fantastic motor. Great torque, loves to rev, and I haven't replaced a thing on it w/176k.

Wow Steve, I don't think I got it over 80 but I was on the opposite side of the gearing (3.58 Gears with 31" tires) so I was actually reading low and it should have been around 85 actual. And you keep saying it's not fast, but it's not the slowest thing on the road either. I could easily keep up with my Brother-in-law going to Moab (he has a 4door wrangler).

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Lucky guys lol. I max out my 4runner around 65-70 on a flat with wind behind me lol. But thats with 4.10s and 33s Going uphill is game over.

Kevin B.

Lucky guys lol. I max out my 4runner around 65-70 on a flat with wind behind me lol. But thats with 4.10s and 33s Going uphill is game over.

Be glad you don't have the auto. My 22re struggled with 4.3 and 31s. I think I'm going to like a new motor. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just in case you haven't already read them:

Magazine swap article: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/engine/131_0810_4x4_toyota_3rz_4_cylinder_engine_swap/

The lots-of-info thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0

Edit: This is at the bottom of the first post. If you want to keep your automatic....
As for your Automatic issue, if you want to retain the auto, then just do so. Although this has never been done to my knowledge, according to Marlin, Tacoma's use the same A340 trans that's in your truck right now. So all you would need is the 4cyl 2RZ/3RZ Automatic Transmission Bellhousing, and it will bolt directly to your 22R-E Automatic Transmission, and then that will go right behind a 3RZ Engine. Done.

Last edited: