dodge 1500 hemi

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
what year did they start putting hemis in the 1500s? i think they still had 360s in the 2002s (first year of new style), and then they went to the hemi?

what is to be said of the hemi? gas mileage? power?

and what is to be said of the new 1500s? i am looking into like an '04, 4 door, 4x4, short bed. some of them don't even come with a hitch factory. i wonder what the tow rating is.

thanks again
-nate

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
xj_punk said:
what year did they start putting hemis in the 1500s? i think they still had 360s in the 2002s (first year of new style), and then they went to the hemi?

what is to be said of the hemi? gas mileage? power?

and what is to be said of the new 1500s? i am looking into like an '04, 4 door, 4x4, short bed. some of them don't even come with a hitch factory. i wonder what the tow rating is.

thanks again
-nate

Don't you have a CTD?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
They got redesigned in 2001 but the HEMI showed up in ~2003. I think a few late 2002 got them as well but don't quote me. Milage should be a bit better than the 5.9L. Power wise I am not very impressed. Its a good engine but it does not feel like it has 100 HP than the 5.9L.

JF1

Jay5.9L said:
They got redesigned in 2001 but the HEMI showed up in ~2003. I think a few late 2002 got them as well but don't quote me. Milage should be a bit better than the 5.9L. Power wise I am not very impressed. Its a good engine but it does not feel like it has 100 HP than the 5.9L.

I agree with this. Our company got a few 1500's with the HEMI earlier in the year and I honestly can't tell a difference between them and the older ones in our fleet as far as power goes. Got a few Durango's with the HEMI as well and they didn't impress at all.

Joe

N-Smooth

mbryson said:
Don't you have a CTD?

yup and i love it, but i need to downsize a bit and i want something newer. i wish i could buy a new cummins, but i can't afford it so i decided on a v8. then i thought maybe i'd try a half ton while i'm at it cause they are loads cheaper.
i am sure it will tow my jeep fine, and i only tow it like 6 times a year.

i just want to know what kind of mileage it gets.

I AM NOT TURNING MY BACK ON CUMMINS, I WILL OWN ONE AGAIN SOME DAY!

N-Smooth

alf4444 said:
I had one for a rental for about a month and taking it easy I got 8-9 mpg :eek:

hmmm, they are rated for 12 city 17 highway. a guy i talked to said his got 14 doing about half city half highway (which is what i do)

pepper

I get 12 pulling the trailer and Jeep. Empty I get about 17-20. The wife can get up to 22 MPG :eek:

My is a 05, with a chip, 4 door short box 4WD. I was told the once with the 20" wheels get bad MPG so mine runs the 17.

ubae

Not an FBI agent
pepper said:
I get 12 pulling the trailer and Jeep. Empty I get about 17-20. The wife can get up to 22 MPG :eek:

My is a 05, with a chip, 4 door short box 4WD. I was told the once with the 20" wheels get bad MPG so mine runs the 17.

What kind of Jeep are you pulling? How much does is weigh? I was thinking that once my XJ get's totally built (like 5 yrs down the road), I'd tow it with a 1/2 ton Dodge Hemi. I would imagine my XJ is pretty heavy compared to other Jeeps & I'm a little worried about the mileage the Hemi would get.

N-Smooth

pepper said:

and this is with a hemi 4dr short bed? AUTO OR MANUAL? what gears do you have 3.73 or 3.92?
what kind of chip do you have?
man that is some sweet mileage

Last edited:

N-Smooth

ubae said:
What kind of Jeep are you pulling? How much does is weigh? I was thinking that once my XJ get's totally built (like 5 yrs down the road), I'd tow it with a 1/2 ton Dodge Hemi. I would imagine my XJ is pretty heavy compared to other Jeeps & I'm a little worried about the mileage the Hemi would get.

pics in my sig. it is a 92 xj that i chopped. i can't imagine that it would weigh more than 3500 lbs. it is super light and the trailer is like 1000 lbs probably. the 3.73s can tow 7600 lbs and the 3.92s 8600

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I'll relate my experience with an '03 short bed 2wd HEMI powered truck. I borrowed it from a buddy when my fuel pump went out on my Bronco. I drove it from Denver, CO to Casper, WY at speeds varying from 80 to 100 mph with a 40+ mph headwind most of the way. With all of that working against me getting any kind of decent gas mileage I still somehow got 16 mpg. The return trip was more lesiurely, driving at the speed limit I got 19 mpg. Hot rodding it around Denver the following week I still averaged 12 mpg.

As for power, it had plenty. In fact way too much for my purposes.

I also rode in this truck while flat towing a TJ from Moab to Denver once, it never lacked for power, even heading up Vail Pass & Eisienhower Tunnel it held the speed limit or better. Except for seeing it in the mirror occasionally I would've never known the Jeep was back there. We got something around 14 or 15 mpg on that trip.

I think you'd be very happy with a HEMI.

N-Smooth

TheBigSgt said:
YOu do know I sell these things!

yeah, IN LAYTON!!!

i might look you up. my truck is in truck trader mag starting friday and internet saturday. after it sells i will start looking seriously

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I have an 05 1500 with the Hemi. I am geting around 14-17 on the 201 in and back from work. For light duty, I dont think you could go wrong with th 1500, chip it, with an intake and exhaust and things can only gt better

N-Smooth

Fester said:
info on / or link to your CTD please.

99 dodge ram 2500 quad cab
diesel, 4x4, laramie slt, leather, overhead display, heated mirrors, keyless entry, power everything, ATS built auto trans (4k dollars), low miles:63k, 4" lift, 315/75/r16s big o xts, 4" custom dual exhaust, fender flares, billet grille, herculined bed, diamond plate tool box, airbags, vanaaken chip(similar to edge ez), BHAF (big honkin air filter), turbo timer, banks big head wastegate actuator, gauges on a pillar: tranny temp, boost, egts/pyrometer
you also might notice it has no badges/emblems
$22,000 which is NADA blue-book

i was going to put more money into this truck, like a chip and turbo mods, but it is dependable now and that stuff has a tendency to ruin things. it is a powerful, great towing/daily driving truck. it is a great looking truck, and should get a lot more miles (only 63k which is super low for a 99)
DID I MENTION IT TOWS BEAUTIFULLY?

if anyone is interested and doesn't want the chip or intake, i can unplug the chip and i still have the factory intake

here is a pic while i had the euro tail lights, now i have stock one and it looks a lot better

f6969cf0.jpg

f6969cbc.jpg

53 willys

Bad speller
Man I did not think anybody would go to a gasser after owning a diesel, you should just keep it since selling sh!t is a PITA and it is a nice looking truck any ways. I'm sure the gasser is nice BUT....
THEY DONT BLOW ANY SMOKE!!!! :D

N-Smooth

53 willys said:
Man I did not think anybody would go to a gasser after owning a diesel, you should just keep it since selling sh!t is a PITA and it is a nice looking truck any ways. I'm sure the gasser is nice BUT....
THEY DONT BLOW ANY SMOKE!!!! :D

well, i am going to be getting married and getting a place of my own sooner than later. i would like to seal the deal on a newer truck and try to hang on to it.

i really think i am going to miss the smoke, seriously!

pepper

xj_punk said:
and this is with a hemi 4dr short bed? AUTO OR MANUAL? what gears do you have 3.73 or 3.92?
what kind of chip do you have?
man that is some sweet mileage

3.55 gears, short box, auto, 4 door, Camander chip. And working on the exaust.

The chip I have is out of a company in Denver. They are not on the market yet, I think they said all of the testing will be done by Sept and then they will get it out by Christmas. 12 of us that were in Denver at a car show got to take one home for testing. I just got mine back from reprogramming and think the truck is a little to wound up. I liked it the way it was before.

I can keep up with my buddies Duramax until i run out of fuel (he has a way bigger tank) :(