dodge 1500 hemi

pepper

ubae said:
What kind of Jeep are you pulling? How much does is weigh? I was thinking that once my XJ get's totally built (like 5 yrs down the road), I'd tow it with a 1/2 ton Dodge Hemi. I would imagine my XJ is pretty heavy compared to other Jeeps & I'm a little worried about the mileage the Hemi would get.

TJ with 35" tires and a lot of junk in the trunk :eek:

Meat_

Banned
TheBigSgt said:
YOu do know I sell these things!

! Layton Hills Dodge? You wouldn't happen to have the front center hub cap for a '98 duallie or a '98 vintage "Layton Hills Dodge" mud flap lieing around in the back room would you? :D (one of mine isn't looking so good, and I'd hate to have to buy two :rofl: )

Edit: sorry for the hyjack Punk :eek:

Last edited:

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
If you want pulling power that can hit 60 m.p.h. in about 7.5 sec. check out the nissan titan. it will pull 9,100 lbs. the hemi will pull about 8,900 lbs, but the funny thing is that the hemi has 40 more hp. also the hemi mega cab takes a sorry 9.1 sec to hit 60.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
This is true. I test drove a 4 door Titan and a quad cab short bed HEMI 1500 Ram back to back one afternoon. The Ram was nice and had some get up and go. The Tian had a SH*T LOAD more power and almost felt like a big sport car. I could peel the inside tire at will in any turn. The Titan quality has been a little low in the firt fwe years. Once they work out some of the bugs I'd buy one over a 1500 any day.

Fat Tony said:
If you want pulling power that can hit 60 m.p.h. in about 7.5 sec. check out the nissan titan. it will pull 9,100 lbs. the hemi will pull about 8,900 lbs, but the funny thing is that the hemi has 40 more hp. also the hemi mega cab takes a sorry 9.1 sec to hit 60.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Fat Tony said:

yeah and they have that stout dana 44 in the rear :ugh:

i will not tow my jeep with something that has the same rear axle. plus nissan is the lowest quality japanese automobile imo

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
xj_punk said:
yeah and they have that stout dana 44 in the rear :ugh:

i will not tow my jeep with something that has the same rear axle. plus nissan is the lowest quality japanese automobile imo

I'm Glad we started talking about his again. 6 MONTHS LATER!:rofl:

TimB

Homesick
My Hemi Durango gets 18 - 19 highway. Towing the trailer and jeep it gets 13 - 14. It pulls the jeep no problem - power is plenty. I would like to be able to control the 5 speed auto better, and may see if I can get something aftermarket for that. I have no plans to enhance power or gas milage, it does very well as-is.

chadr

Hemi

I have a 2500 hemi with a shell on it and I regularly get 13 to 14 in and out of town depending on speed. I towed a trailer loaded with four wheelers and had no problems and it only droped to 12 mpg.

There is a new superchip programer out right now that from what I hear is the best mod you can get for less than $400.00 for the Hemi. It removes rev limiter, adjusts for larger wheels, and power programs. It is on my Christmas list for next year.

IMO the Hemi is a sweet way to fly low.:D

Bud

'98 ZJ
Who makes a good and inexpensive Chip, not cheap but affordable?

I have an 05 4x4 4-door 1500 Hemi with 3:54 gears and can get up to 19 MPG on the Highway going around 75 MPH. But I average around 15 In and out of town, but mostly in-town driving. Haven't got to tow with it yet, but looking forward to it.

chadr said:
I have a 2500 hemi with a shell on it and I regularly get 13 to 14 in and out of town depending on speed. I towed a trailer loaded with four wheelers and had no problems and it only droped to 12 mpg.

There is a new superchip programer out right now that from what I hear is the best mod you can get for less than $400.00 for the Hemi. It removes rev limiter, adjusts for larger wheels, and power programs. It is on my Christmas list for next year.

IMO the Hemi is a sweet way to fly low.:D

chadr

Bud said:
Who makes a good and inexpensive Chip, not cheap but affordable?

I have an 05 4x4 4-door 1500 Hemi with 3:54 gears and can get up to 19 MPG on the Highway going around 75 MPH. But I average around 15 In and out of town, but mostly in-town driving. Haven't got to tow with it yet, but looking forward to it.

I am on the www.dodgetalk.com forum quite a bit because it is my other hobby (Jeeps and my hemi). Everyone there says that the Superchips power programer is the only one that they would go with. They had a group buy just a while back where you could get it for $365 shipped. From what I have heard, it makes a world of difference. It will be the one that I will probably get.
Take it for what it is worth, but it sounds good to me.

1993yj

I personally like my 03 2500 with the Hemi overall, but gas mileage sucks. I tow a bobcat with it pretty regularly (about 7000 lbs) and my gas mileage averages about 8 if I do half towing and half regular driving on a tank. Other than the gas mileage I love it. I am going to put on an Aero Turbine muffler and then well see what happens to the gas mileage. I am also running 35" tires though, its not surprising that I dont get the best mileage, that and its a Hemi.

chadr

1993yj said:
I personally like my 03 2500 with the Hemi overall, but gas mileage sucks. I tow a bobcat with it pretty regularly (about 7000 lbs) and my gas mileage averages about 8 if I do half towing and half regular driving on a tank. Other than the gas mileage I love it. I am going to put on an Aero Turbine muffler and then well see what happens to the gas mileage. I am also running 35" tires though, its not surprising that I dont get the best mileage, that and its a Hemi.
PM me with your results after the muffler. i want to know your results. thanks

Bud

'98 ZJ
chadr said:
PM me with your results after the muffler. i want to know your results. thanks
just got my Exhaust done and added a K&N replacement filter. I had the 2 chamber flowmaster put in and new pipe from cat back. I have never heard any other vehicle sound this freakin good! I mean it is MEAN! Very happy and I can feel more power. I have heard that the stock exhaust on the Hemi's is very restrictive, so I went for it. Once the snow is gone I'll do some driving and try to get an accurate MPG reading over the next week.

1993yj

I already have the two-chamber Flowmaster on mine, and I am really not that impressed. It sounds great, but that is about all I really notice. I also have a K&N filter and intake. That seemed to do more than the exhaust. The new Aero muffler that I have to put on is a 3" through, and then after I will split it into the two pipes that were coming out of my Flowmaster. You can check out the Aero design here: http://www.aero-turbine.com/buy/details_3030.html

The web site is pretty interesting and has some good details. I just put one on my wrangler, and with the sound and performance gains I got on it, I decided to replace the Flowmaster on my Hemi too. Before the Aero I was running a Cherry Bomb through muffler on my Jeep. This Aero one dominates what the Cherry Bomb sounded like and added power. It will probably be a few weeks before I get around to it as I am still finishing up some tube work on my Jeep, but I will post my results.

There are some testimonials by different customers on there who put them on their Hemi's and they all say they got performace and mileage increases.

Last edited:

1993yj

Bud said:
just got my Exhaust done and added a K&N replacement filter. I had the 2 chamber flowmaster put in and new pipe from cat back. I have never heard any other vehicle sound this freakin good! I mean it is MEAN! Very happy and I can feel more power. I have heard that the stock exhaust on the Hemi's is very restrictive, so I went for it. Once the snow is gone I'll do some driving and try to get an accurate MPG reading over the next week.

With your Flowmaster, did you leave on the factory resonator, or take it off to add to the sound?

RamIt

Just my .02 on the subject, I've heard a lot of different systems on the hemi and seen lots of results, and the Aero Exhaust has better performance and mileage gains, and in my opinion sounds the best. Obviously the sound comes down to personal preference. But the Aero is definitely worth looking into. Overall I think thats where you get the most bang for your buck.