dodge 1500 towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
xj_punk said:
anyone know the tow rating on a dodge 1500 5.2L 5 spd?
anyone have anything against this setup for towing? i test drove one and it is nice... the 5.2 liter has always seemed powerful and i would like a 5 spd because the 1/2 ton autos are junk!

-nate

I had a 98 1500 5.2l 5 spd. Extend cab, short bed with 33's. My views pulling the following:

Little Habor Frate trailer: Didn't even know it was there :p

Snowmobiles: Not bad

UHaul Auto transport with the zuk: Handles really well, Up Spanish fork 35-45 most of the way.

7,000 LBS HD car trailer with zuk: On the edge of the weight limits. Still handles well, Very lugish. Didn't get to pull up spanish fork. When running at 3500 RPMs where the peak is, loss a few MPH. Never over heated.

Featherlite 4 ply quad/snowmobile inclosed trailer with 4 quads: Goin to Sand mountain. Handled loosely. Up the hills..very poor..2nd too low 3rd not low enough. 30 mph the whole way.

Freeway by it's self: Level ground ok...if there is no head wind. Other then that 4th all the way :sick:

Overall: ok for around town. Got about 14 MPG with around town freeway. Long distance travel depended on speed. If you could go 80+ in 5th gear it was ok. Other then that is veried. No machanical problems. I even had 2400 Lbs in the bed and the payload is 1700. Wasn't goin far but it held. :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
man i love to sit back, relax and watch you guys bitch at eachother, i mean argue.
right now i am trying to figure out what rig will be best for me. there are more things in my life than just my jeep and a truck. i have to think about the future and priorities and what not (all the crappy stuff)
i have been researching/dreaming about ctd's a lot lately and found that i can get about a 99 ctd with about 100k miles give or take a little for around 17 grand. i like the idea of under 100 k miles and 99 or newer, don't you?

is that by any means a good deal? i think that a good truck is a good investment (make sense?) and i would love to have one. you never know when you need a truck, and diesels are BAD!!!!!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
xj_punk said:
.............. i think that a good truck is a good investment (make sense?) and i would love to have one. you never know when you need a truck..........

Probably the most key point of this whole debate. I've NEVER known anyone that bought a big motor ton truck (or heavy 3/4) that regretted the decision, esp. a diesel. You can make a good diesel last 20+ years (the truck itself will not outlast the engine) with proper care and maintenance......................automatic vs. manual.........there's a little debate there, but no one is debating against the truck itself

............I know a lot of people that bought 1/2 tons or light 3/4 that wish they would have bought up........

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
xj_punk said:
i have been researching/dreaming about ctd's a lot lately and found that i can get about a 99 ctd with about 100k miles give or take a little for around 17 grand. i like the idea of under 100 k miles and 99 or newer, don't you?

under 100k on a CTD isn't even broken in yet. One with those miles will go for 17-20k, but one with 130-150 will perform the same, but can be found for 14k or less if you really look. I pad less than 14k for my 99 CTD.

Call Big Sarge and see what he has. Call him weekly. Something will come in and you'll be surprised at the deal he can get you.

Cody

sibeta

RockMonkey said:
Why does it make no sense? I'm on a hill, cruising at 75 (does that make me a menace too?) in the passing lane, passing a vehicle going slower. I look back and see a vehicle coming up on me much faster (probably around 85 or 90, 10-15 over the posted limit). At this point I have three options.
1. I can continue to pass the vehicle at my cruising speed, which would eventually allow me to get back into the right lane, but not before the faster vehicle had caught up to me, and was forced to slow down to match my speed.
2. I can stomp on the brakes, to allow the vehicle I was passing to pass me, so I can get over and allow said faster vehicle to go by. Of course by the time I could get over, the faster vehicle again would have been forced to slow down to my now slower than 75 speed as I try to get over.
3. I can step on the turbo pedal, thus causing acceleration, and pass the vehicle at a quicker pace, so I can be back over in the right lane before the faster vehicle reaches me and is forced to slow down.

Obviously I chose option three. In my mind this option was the most courteous to all other drivers around me, as I didn't cause any of them to take any action because of me. So how does this make me a menace? What would you have had me do? I guess you don't get anxious for passing vehicles to get out of your way so you can continue? Please morse code "bobdog" to me with your headlights if you are ever the faster vehicle in this situation, so I know you are happy to slow down to my speed, and that there is no hurry for me to get over for you. :D

Please note that this is a debate, not an argument.

i would of been giving you the finger for sure if you got over and i had to stomp on the brake. Isnt that why we all bought CTD's,so we could pass in a situation like that with ease, even while towing a trailer. I probably would just give you the finger anyways haha ha

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Speaking of getting the bird.

On my way back from Kansas with my dads Willy's. We where going up from Denver to Grand junction and going up to vail slowed me down to 45 and teh smoke coming out of the truck was crazy and all teh people behind me would pass with there noses plugged and give us the bird it was great i bet there's still a black strip from Denver to Vail. But new Diesels don;t smoke as bad.

tv_larsen

xj_punk said:
i can't afford to drive a v10 with the 6 mpgs they get.
And who told you that? Dodge V10's will get as good, and often better, mileage than the "other" V10 and most big block V8's, including the 454. 10+ mpg isn't uncommon for the Dodge V10 while towing heavy.

I had a '99 1500 with a 360, 3.92 gears and 33" tires. It pulled my Ramcharger (~7000 lbs total) over soldier summit just fine at about 45mph. But it still sucked. This truck ran much better than most (I don't know why some Dodge Magnum V8's run better than others) and really had enough power. But it was a reg. cab short bed and handled terrible. I had an equalizer hitch, and squat was minimal. In the corners the trailer would push the truck around. Stopping required a LOT of trailer brake. As you know, you should always tow with OD OFF, I did exactly what I was supposed and the tranny's torque converter lock up clutch still failed requiring a rebuild. Interstingly, the factory original tranny (63k miles) was originally assembled wrong. One clutch and one steel were reversed, effectivly turning a 4-clutch pack into a 3-pack clutch, thats bad.

TheBigSgt hooked me up with a low miles '98 12 valve Cummins last month for $16k, I couldn't be happier.

Look at it this way, regarless of the engine, which truck would you rather be in if your trailer brakes fail? 1500 or 2500? Trust me, the 1500 wouldn't have a prayer stopping a 6-7000lb trailer with it's own brakes.

Caleb

tv_larsen said:
And who told you that? Dodge V10's will get as good, and often better, mileage than the "other" V10 and most big block V8's, including the 454. 10+ mpg isn't uncommon for the Dodge V10 while towing heavy.

I had a '99 1500 with a 360, 3.92 gears and 33" tires. It pulled my Ramcharger (~7000 lbs total) over soldier summit just fine at about 45mph. But it still sucked. This truck ran much better than most (I don't know why some Dodge Magnum V8's run better than others) and really had enough power. But it was a reg. cab short bed and handled terrible. I had an equalizer hitch, and squat was minimal. In the corners the trailer would push the truck around. Stopping required a LOT of trailer brake. As you know, you should always tow with OD OFF, I did exactly what I was supposed and the tranny's torque converter lock up clutch still failed requiring a rebuild. Interstingly, the factory original tranny (63k miles) was originally assembled wrong. One clutch and one steel were reversed, effectivly turning a 4-clutch pack into a 3-pack clutch, thats bad.

TheBigSgt hooked me up with a low miles '98 12 valve Cummins last month for $16k, I couldn't be happier.

Look at it this way, regarless of the engine, which truck would you rather be in if your trailer brakes fail? 1500 or 2500? Trust me, the 1500 wouldn't have a prayer stopping a 6-7000lb trailer with it's own brakes.

my experience with the Dodge V-10 was around 9-10 empty and 6-9 while towing (depending on size of load). The Ford V-10 (very limited with it though) was always around 11 towing or empty...our Dodge V-10 (engine) also went south at 100K miles (religiously maintained) and its on its second auto tranny that needs to be rebuilt again.

harkinoff

something to do...
tv_larsen said:

My brakes work fine, matter of fact I towed it Parleys and back with no trailer brakes :eek: Point is if you had to stop in a hurry, its not going to happen, in my case the Scout and trailer just push the truck with all fours locked up.. Pretty scary, I now have my new top of the line brake controller installed, its well worth the money to get something that limits the amount of work one has to do to stop a trailer... Another way is to just buy a truck that is designed of towing such heavy loads.........

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Well... I like being able to start my dad's truck right up in the cold winter months. Not having to wait for the stupid "wait to start" light to go off. Stupid glow plugs!

Ya I know, it doesn't apply to the "brand new" diesels that don't use glow plugs...

Just my $.02

James K

NO, I'm always like this
tweakeyjeep said:
Well... I like being able to start my dad's truck right up in the cold winter months. Not having to wait for the stupid "wait to start" light to go off. Stupid glow plugs!

Ya I know, it doesn't apply to the "brand new" diesels that don't use glow plugs...

Just my $.02

nobody ever said anything about glow plugs :rolleyes:

its called a manifold heater :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.