EJS Permit Appealed

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Apparently in their long-term plan to have the Utah Red Rock Wilderness bill passed and to have the so called off road abuse stopped on the Moab trails, SUWA has appealed the new Easter Jeep Safari permit. The Safari will go on this year but is in doubt what will happen in the future. SUWA has set it’s sites on many of our trails like Moab Rim, Pritchett Canyon, Steel Bender, just to name a few to be closed due to their proximity to Wilderness Study Areas. This would just be a starting point if they are successful.
So no matter how you feel about the new permit, this is not a good thing for any of us.
Todd

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
No way... :mad2:

Sounds like it's time to write some more letters and rally the troops. What else can we do?

Houndoc

That logic is sickening...close a trail because it is close to WSA? Not even in a WSA or designated wilderness. Lets hope that doesn't fly with the courts.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Houndoc said:
That logic is sickening...close a trail because it is close to WSA? Not even in a WSA or designated wilderness. Lets hope that doesn't fly with the courts.

You shouldn't even be allowed in Southern Utah with a vehicle (well, unless a hiker gets hurt and needs medical assistance. Then you should do anything possible in your hovercraft to get there quickly without disturbing a snail or unique plant)

at least that's the message I get from SUWA

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Todd Adams said:
Have you been to their web site lately? That is exactly what they are telling the Gov about RS2477

Yup, I was just there.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the sltrib :)rolleyes:) today as well.

1993yj

Out of the three options that were on the permit, where did those options come from? SUWA or the BLM?

I am writing a paper on the EJS for one of my classes up at the U. Being as liberal as my teacher is I am sure that no matter how well written it is I am going to get an F, but at least I will enjoy writing it.

Bone Down

keep us posted on this... I am not suprised; I figured they would appeal, they (SUWA) seems like the do not like losing.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
1993yj said:
Out of the three options that were on the permit, where did those options come from? SUWA or the BLM?

I am writing a paper on the EJS for one of my classes up at the U. Being as liberal as my teacher is I am sure that no matter how well written it is I am going to get an F, but at least I will enjoy writing it.

Is this Brandon?

The three choices are developed by the BLM, they basically have a no action, some action, and alot of action (change approach. They take all the solicited comments and data they collect, and develop the selections.

Working on my other answers...

1993yj

Yeah, this is Brandon. I appreciate the info Kurt. And just to clarify, the option that was selected was the "some action" one, which will apparently be good for this year. As for the coming years, we will have to see....

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
(that'd be a SWEET bumper sticker :D)[/QUOTE]

How about a bumper sticker that we can put after our favorite off road group sticker that says something like: SUWAcide Prevention Team Member.
I'd really hate to see them win the trails battle and kill off all of these trails.