EXp MUST HAVE aluminum dutch oven

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The time has come. If you are still using the cast iron dutch oven it is time for you to step into this century. If you are not a Al oven user then you don't know how to expedition. They are superior. They heat more quickly and are 1/3 less weight. Not to mention that you can actually clean them out rather than just scrape as much of the food out as possible. There is also no need to season them. If you think they are going to melt on you then you are just plain dumb. I have both aluminum and cast and the aluminum is just plain better. These are akin to RTTs, solar panels, d-rings with green pins, and 12v fridges. If you dont have them you cannot go camping let alone expeditioning!:cody:

For real though my work hooked me up with one for super cheap so we could figure out how to sell them. Al is pretty neat stuff. I am really loving the weight. When my oven is loaded up with food it is still lighter than the cast is when empty. I also like being able to wash with soap and water. I know all the die hard cast guys say that aluminum doesn't taste as good as cast, but I think that is impossible. I can see that Al could melt considering it is good to about 1200 degrees. I don't really see needing to cook food at that temperature, but it could happen over a fire. maybe if you make a lot of pottery or something. I love my cast stuff as well. They are both better at some stuff and worse at others. I know everyone knows about cast so I skipped to good points for that. I just thought I would let you know about my experience with aluminum.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Time for a real question... Is there any seasoning involved with an aluminum dutch oven? I know the Cast iron dutch ovens are seasoned to prevent rust but I also believe it is supposed to be kind of like a non-stick feature.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Uh oh <WARNING> :eek: I hope this doesn't spark up the Alum Vs. Cast Pie iron debate :ugh:

Is there a debate? Glampers will be glampers. Thats all I have to comment at this time, my press agent JL Rockies will take it from here.

PS remember that pie iron that Sami chucked against a rock and broken the hinge on the RelicRun? Nothing a welder can't fix, good as new. Try that with pot aluminum :D

Attachments

• IMAG0036 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0036 (Small).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 26

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
So basically, all I can do from now on are Luxury Expeditions? I can't just, "Load up the car and go camping" with the boys for a couple nights?
Am I to expect that with the aluminum dutch oven there is also a built in cocktail hour every evening? Should I also start wearing my new Expo gear everywhere I go, because you just never know when an Expo might happen? Since I can no longer camp, is it OK if I start substituting Expo for camp?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
PSS, I got peeps that are pro dutch-oveners, none of this amateur hour stuff. One thing you won't find a professional dutch oven cookoff is Coughlans Aluminum Dutch Like Oven devices.

Chef Sully & Erika

Attachments

• Sully_Dutch 001 (Small).jpg
    Sully_Dutch 001 (Small).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Sully_Dutch 002 (Small).jpg
    Sully_Dutch 002 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Sully_Dutch 003 (Small).jpg
    Sully_Dutch 003 (Small).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 40

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I can attest to the fine culinary experience that Sully provides with a cast iron dutch oven while camping. But I am now convinced that if I where on an Expo with him, I could not touch his archaically cooked food for fear that I would no longer be cool enough to continue Expoing.

It's all about aluminum now... and ball bearings.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I wonder if there are any health issues w/aluminum.

Real expeditioners use titanium, anyway, because every ounce counts.. Cast iron is for normal people and perfectly acceptable.

:p

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Time for a real question... Is there any seasoning involved with an aluminum dutch oven? I know the Cast iron dutch ovens are seasoned to prevent rust but I also believe it is supposed to be kind of like a non-stick feature.

no need to season anything aluminum. Also, mine is very nonstick don't even need to use the rough side of the pad just a sponge

Is there a debate? Glampers will be glampers. Thats all I have to comment at this time, my press agent JL Rockies will take it from here.

PS remember that pie iron that Sami chucked against a rock and broken the hinge on the RelicRun? Nothing a welder can't fix, good as new. Try that with pot aluminum :D

glampers wouldn't be caught dead actually fixing something:p. In fact perfectly good stuff gets thrown away in favor of the next best thing.

So basically, all I can do from now on are Luxury Expeditions? I can't just, "Load up the car and go camping" with the boys for a couple nights?
Am I to expect that with the aluminum dutch oven there is also a built in cocktail hour every evening? Should I also start wearing my new Expo gear everywhere I go, because you just never know when an Expo might happen? Since I can no longer camp, is it OK if I start substituting Expo for camp?

now you are getting the hang of it. all expo all the time. Camping is no longer available. You cannot just take your kids and camp with them.

Aluminum does not retain the heat for long cooking as Cast Iron Does. Aluminum melts at 1200 degrees, chance of melting on a very hot fire. May have uneven cooking, especially in windy conditions.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Now with no need to season and all that washing with soap garbage you lose the wonderful flavor of a well seasoned cast iron anything. Sure light weight is nice but for the one thing that I love to cook out of the most I'll go ahead and stay away from aluminum and deal with the weight.

jeffsclan

One of the reasons the pioneers liked to use them (cast iron of course) is that you don't use water to clean them. If your rationing your water this is a plus. If you clean/use your oven properly then there is no worry about food left in there. That being said I use both.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'll laugh at you aluminum users when SHTF, and after apocolypse you have no water to clean your cooking device. Your lust for shiny things will be the end of you.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Meh, I'll find the camps of the unfortunate souls who had aluminum gear, pillage the camp, melt down the aluminum and make spear heads..

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Ahh.. the taste of rotten, dried, caked on, old rancid food. YUm

X2, my 2 favorites are ribs & peach cobbler, If you cook a cobbler in the oven that had some ribbs cooked in it, you can taste it.
I was given an al oven as a gift last year, I love it! Ive found that I use the oven even more, because of the ease of use. i always dreaded cleaning my cast. & for the nay sayers, It heats just like cast, I use the same amount of coals that I did with my cast.
bottom line- If the cast tasted better & cooked better, I would be using them but Im not. My cast ovens are sitting on the shelf.