EXp MUST HAVE aluminum dutch oven

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As for the elk wrapped cocktail shaker, I think elk isn't 'expo' enough. I would try to import something more awesome like Kudu or White Rhino. Actually, if you could just hollow out the horn of said Rhino and use that as the shaker (with an Elephant tusk carved screen) I think that would probably be acceptably expo.

I think this has real merit! I'm going to have to get my people to look into it. Maybe a blood diamond on top just for some flair?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
finally the true spirit of this thread has been realized.

Stephen, titanium is so outdated. Only beryllium is acceptable now. Maybe the future is in unobtainium. As far as wrapped in elk. If you have to ask the question then you wouldn't understand the answer. Glamping/expeditioneering, is not about being comfortable or enjoying the outdoors it is about spending money and having gadgets while enjoying the outdoors.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Uh oh <WARNING> :eek: I hope this doesn't spark up the Alum Vs. Cast Pie iron debate :ugh:

Is there a debate? The result of an aluminum pie device in a typical camp fire after just a few minutes, yes you read few minutes. Even the anti-glamp device crowd was blown away at this poor showing let alone the owner.

100_4560.jpg

Because of this an obvious rookie camper goes hungry because an actual fire (ie not a fireplace or backyard propane fire pit) consumes his aluminum cooking device. Thankfully there were more seasoned campers there with devices meant for cooking. A lesson learned by all.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Glad to hear you didn't let the glamper starve. How very egalitarian of you.

It wasn't I that stepped in and saved the misguided, thankfully with a group as stalwart as this there were plenty of pie irons to share. Best part was the reason Scott inadvertently left it in the fire for a few minutes, he was busy razzing me about aluminum versus iron. Needless to say he got real quiet after that ;)

spencevans

Overlander
Not to get too technical about cooking but the main reason you don't want to use aluminum dutch ovens is aluminum and cooking do not mix. Aluminum reacts when combined with any type of acid. Try drinking orange juice out of a non coated aluminum vessel. Your orange juice will taste like a battery. Aluminum foil does not react with food because it is coated. Aluminum dutch ovens are non coated.

Other major disadvantages include, poor heat retention, lower melting point, and they are more expensive.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Not to get too technical about cooking but the main reason you don't want to use aluminum dutch ovens is aluminum and cooking do not mix. Aluminum reacts when combined with any type of acid. Try drinking orange juice out of a non coated aluminum vessel. Your orange juice will taste like a battery. Aluminum foil does not react with food because it is coated. Aluminum dutch ovens are non coated.

Other major disadvantages include, poor heat retention, lower melting point, and they are more expensive.

I use anodized aluminum dutch ovens. They are coated and do not change taste. I guess you could use a WWII cookset if you want, but why when there is anodized. I also have never drank orange juice out of my dutch oven.:p
As for your other points

heat retention= use them to cook in not as a stay warm for a long time in them holder tray. Heat retention doesn't matter because they cook faster.

lower melting point= dont melt them its not that hard.

more expensive=mostly true the gap closes a lot when speaking of high end iron ovens. My aluminum would have retailed about 20% more than my iron.

spencevans

Overlander
I use anodized aluminum dutch ovens. They are coated and do not change taste. I guess you could use a WWII cookset if you want, but why when there is anodized. I also have never drank orange juice out of my dutch oven.:p
As for your other points

heat retention= use them to cook in not as a stay warm for a long time in them holder tray. Heat retention doesn't matter because they cook faster.

lower melting point= dont melt them its not that hard.

more expensive=mostly true the gap closes a lot when speaking of high end iron ovens. My aluminum would have retailed about 20% more than my iron.

I think you're missing the point, because the aluminum is cast, it is inherently a very porous material. It is impossible to have it coated because of this trait.Coated or not, it doesn't really matter. Any hint of acid will expose this weakness, but you're welcome to use what every you like, Obama Care will take care of you when the Alzheimer's kicks in.:greg:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think you're missing the point, because the aluminum is cast, it is inherently a very porous material. It is impossible to have it coated because of this trait.Coated or not, it doesn't really matter. Any hint of acid will expose this weakness, but you're welcome to use what every you like, Obama Care will take care of you when the Alzheimer's kicks in.:greg:

I dont think I am missing the point, anodizing seals the pores. I have cooked sauces with a lot of tomatoes in it. These too are high in acid, actually higher than orange juice. tom=4.6, OJ=3-4 no bad taste.The anodizing also increases the even heating of the aluminum. Have you looked at a high quality anodized aluminum dutch oven? Also, castiron is also porous and leaches of when used with acidic foods. Sometimes only the "seasoning"leaches off as the iron oxidizes, but still gross. With aluminum you anodize, with iron you enamel, it is for the same reason and has the same effect.
Aluminum doesn't cause alzheimers, that is a wives tale. If you can find me a scientific journal that has a paper proving that Al causes alzheimers I would love to read it. (seriously though I would, aluminum oven debate aside:confused:)

alzheimers association says:

"The vast majority of mainstream scientists now believe that if aluminum plays any role at all in Alzheimer's, that role is small."

". . . most mainstream health professionals believe, based on current knowledge, that exposure to aluminum is not a significant risk factor. Public health bodies sharing this conviction include the World Health Organization (WHO), the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Health Canada."

"Further, it is unlikely that people can significantly reduce their exposure to aluminum through such measures as avoiding aluminum-containing cookware, foil, beverage cans, medications and other products. "

The point of me starting this thread was actually to start another aluminum pie iron debate because I thought it was funny:greg:.

I use them both I don't think either is superior. I just think it is funny that people love thier stuff so much(Al or iron) they can't see another way.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I saw another way... then it literally melted away before my eyes while the owner was jubily distracted by teasing of cast iron :D

I don't dutch oven nor do I have any plans too so I could care less on that front :p

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't dutch oven nor do I have any plans too so I could care less on that front :p

That's not what Candace said... OH! we're talking about cookware. Never mind then. :rofl:

I used a ton of aluminum pots, cheap-ass, dollar store aluminum pots during my time as a traveling minstrel.. and my spaghetti sauce never tasted like batteries. :D

spencevans

Overlander
I saw another way... then it literally melted away before my eyes while the owner was jubily distracted by teasing of cast iron :D

Kurt, I need to make you some dutch oven. I never go camping without it. No one can refuse my dutch oven sourdough pizza or my Lemon Curry Chicken with Iranian Basmati rice and cranberries :handlebars:

I am a big fan of the dutch oven.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, I need to make you some dutch oven. I never go camping without it. No one can refuse my dutch oven sourdough pizza or my Lemon Curry Chicken with Iranian Basmati rice and cranberries :handlebars:

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully on board with the fabulous meals that can come out of a dutch oven. I'm just not patient enough to stare at an oven cooking away. I'm the guy mutilating his meal, eating half of it before its done. :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

If you could, I recommend you do ;)

I for one couldn't care less whether you use an aluminum or iron cast cooking device. I have an aluminum, it has never underperformed for me, and I'm not stupid enough to leave it in the middle of a crazy hot fire either since I can't cook in that type of temperature and I'm intelligent enough to understand the limitations of my chosen device. This also bleeds off into other areas of my life where I don't try to use a device in a situation that it is neither designed for nor practical to be used in. For example, I don't submerge my cell phone in water because someone with a milspec phone thinks I should be able to, and I don't drive my jeep off of a cliff because someone in a flying car thinks all cars should fly.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
For Christmas I got a Lodge 6qt enameled cast iron sauce pan for stove/oven use. Amazing. I use it every night now, never had something that heats so evenly. Eventually I will replace all my home cook ware with cast iron.