EXp MUST HAVE aluminum dutch oven

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Dark Ages, I say. Step into the current millennium with a 1200w inverter and a small microwave. That's how I roll across the western states. I don't camp, nor do I expo. The cool cats "Layover".

:bryson:

Ahh.. the taste of rotten, dried, caked on, old rancid food. YUm

It is easy to think this if you have never learned to properly care for Cast Iron ovens.

Some of the best ones I have are 70+ years old that I inherited from my grandparents. 70 years of tender loving care will beat aluminum every time.

I have tried aluminum, and in my experience do not cook campfire food like cast iron.

Also when you look at the long term dangers of using aluminum as a cooking vessel it is not safe. Alzheimers Disease and Cancer Risk from Anodized Aluminum as a component of manufacture are only two examples.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Aluminum cookware is not a good idea because of potential health risks. Any pitting you find in a pan anything else is aluminum you and your loved ones have consumed.

Alzheimer’s patients have more aluminum in their brains than people who do not suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. It's not known if the aluminum in the brain causes the disease or if the disease allows more aluminum into the brain... you could be safe and stop eating aluminum... just sayin'.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have several ovens and cook with them often. I would like to add that a properly cared for and cleaned oven (cast) carries no taste to the next dish. If your oven has not been cared for you should re-season it.

I have read, that aluminum ovens don't cook as evenly as cast. Cold spots, this could be a factor when cooking breads.

Needless to say, dutch oven cooking is some of the best dishes we make. I have a complete set up on my desk and we cook at home as much as we do when we go camping.

I have several ovens and cook with them often. I would like to add that a properly cared for and cleaned oven (cast) carries no taste to the next dish. If your oven has not been cared for you should re-season it.

I have read, that aluminum ovens don't cook as evenly as cast. Cold spots, this could be a factor when cooking breads.

Needless to say, dutch oven cooking is some of the best dishes we make. I have a complete set up on my desk and we cook at home as much as we do when we go camping.

Was wondering what kind of work you can do with Dutch Ovens on your desk, and where do I apply? ;)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I guess you carry weight either way, water to clean or cast iron

You don't have to clean the aluminum with water. You can clean it like cast if you like. Water is easy. Oh yeah, us true glampers create our own water.

Meh, I'll find the camps of the unfortunate souls who had aluminum gear, pillage the camp, melt down the aluminum and make spear heads..

If you use aluminum spear heads then they won't have the seasoning of cast iron. What is the point of killing. Who cares if you can carry more and throw farther as long as it is "seasoned". spear licker:eek:

The Dark Ages, I say. Step into the current millennium with a 1200w inverter and a small microwave. That's how I roll across the western states. I don't camp, nor do I expo. The cool cats "Layover".

:bryson:

Nice. That is so much better.

It is easy to think this if you have never learned to properly care for Cast Iron ovens.

Some of the best ones I have are 70+ years old that I inherited from my grandparents. 70 years of tender loving care will beat aluminum every time.

I have tried aluminum, and in my experience do not cook campfire food like cast iron.

Also when you look at the long term dangers of using aluminum as a cooking vessel it is not safe. Alzheimers Disease and Cancer Risk from Anodized Aluminum as a component of manufacture are only two examples.

If memories and sentiment make your food better then go for it. I notice no difference in the taste.

Aluminum cookware is not a good idea because of potential health risks. Any pitting you find in a pan anything else is aluminum you and your loved ones have consumed.

Alzheimer’s patients have more aluminum in their brains than people who do not suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. It's not known if the aluminum in the brain causes the disease or if the disease allows more aluminum into the brain... you could be safe and stop eating aluminum... just sayin'.

I might have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.

plus my dutch oven is anodized so no pitting occurs.

I didn't notice the uneven cooking. I can see how it would happen. that is a good argument against aluminum.

It is funny that you say a properly cared for oven carries no taste. I agree with you and always care for my cast iron the right way. It is one of the biggest arguments for iron is the seasoned taste. So I am glad someone who uses iron can see that taste can't be a factor if you are caring for them the right way. If you are getting a different taste then your "seasoned" dutch oven is transferring old food not some magical power of taste. If the Dutch oven is clean the taste won't be changed.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
It doesn't make much sense, but you can clean it just like the cast if you want. the danger is that you will get it too hot while cleaning and melt it.

If you have the hard anodized variety of aluminum oven then you can almost just wipe it out. Anodizing works similarly to teflon only not as non stick. I don't know if it is the case in ovens, but the anodizing process in backpacking cookwear claims to helps the metal to cook more evenly as well.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It doesn't make much sense, but you can clean it just like the cast if you want. the danger is that you will get it too hot while cleaning and melt it.

If you have the hard anodized variety of aluminum oven then you can almost just wipe it out. Anodizing works similarly to teflon only not as non stick. I don't know if it is the case in ovens, but the anodizing process in backpacking cookwear claims to helps the metal to cook more evenly as well.

The real question is what should my expedition cocktail shaker be made out of? I was thinking stainless steel bound in elk hide, but will the weight of the stainless be too much? Should I consider aluminum? If so, how will the aluminum react to gin? Is it time to start contemplating a move to titanium for things such as expedition cocktail shakers and expedition bottle openers? And is the elk hide too 'camp'? Should it be bound in something more in line with the luxury expedition I will be on? I was thinking stingray hide.
Also, how frequently should I be anticipating using these new expedition items? I want to make sure my expedition aluminum/titanium/dilithium products look new and shiney as long as possible. Once, twice a year? I don't want to put too much stress on them.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Kurt,
I appreciate your input on the subject, but I found no cocktail shakers or glasses on their site. I feel that you, not being in line with the spirit of a true expeditioner do to your ardent defense of cast iron, do not understand the need to have such important items while on an expedition.
That said, they did have a kitchen scissor set which can function as a bottle opener. But at $70 I fear it may be a little too cheap for my needs.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I guess it doesn't really matter if you use an aluminum or a iron dutch oven, so long as you have a $200 camp chair to sit in that takes 15 minutes to setup. ;)

I'm going to try a dutch oven on my next trip. My mother has a few of them that I could borrow, and I'll probably buy an aluminum one if I decide I want to continue if for no other reason but to irritate Kurt. :D

As for the elk wrapped cocktail shaker, I think elk isn't 'expo' enough. I would try to import something more awesome like Kudu or White Rhino. Actually, if you could just hollow out the horn of said Rhino and use that as the shaker (with an Elephant tusk carved screen) I think that would probably be acceptably expo.