expedition gear "must have" next purchase

I've been out about 1K miles in each of the last three years and own none of that stuff... Again just a decent 4x4 and gas, if it helps. Frozen bottles in a good cooler work awesome and I had the pleasure of a RTT this time but it cost me a lot in gas mileage and I personally slept in it maybe 1/2 the time at most... The rest would be nice someday but not necessary at all I think...

rholbrook

Heck... The first time I drove the PET from Faust to Ibapah, was in a '68 Chevelle. No camping gear at all. Slept in the back seat. Ate very little :grin:.

- DAA

Dave, just admit it. In those days you were more interested in not killing the buzz versus being comfortable. As we get older, being more comfortable is better.:p

I just watched an episode of the doctors where it said you didn't need to shower more than once a week so who needs a shower. I have coolers, I have tin foil, matches, sleeping bag and pup tent. What else do I need? Truthfully, I want it all.

DAA

Dave, just admit it. In those days you were more interested in not killing the buzz versus being comfortable. As we get older, being more comfortable is better.:p

Ha! :D My buzz would have been pretty hard to kill back in those days. And I hadn't ever been comfortable so didn't yet know what I was missing :rofl:.

It was a trp to the Book Cliffs with my Dad in my late 20's that really started to open my eyes to how much I'd actually been suffering needlessly. We slept on cots. The tent had room to stand up and move around in. It didn't leak. It didn't smell bad. It had a heater. We ate fried chicken and steaks and pork chops. That was the first time I ever gained weight on a trip. We drank Jim Beam. While sitting in chairs no less! Hell... I was almost 30 years old before I brought a folding chair on a trip, just sat cross legged in the dirt or stood around in the snow or mud up till then :rofl:.

Just for grins, here is a pic of a typical "camp" back in the day.

scan10008.jpg

That's my bowhunting camp in about 1981 or so - and the sleeping bag and the lantern were pretty much all "the gear" I ever took on any trip. I did have an ancient old army umbrella tent too, but we only used it when we had to. Putting it up tended to kill the buzz :rofl:.

What the heck... Another old pic to put the whole "must have gear" thing into some perspective.

scan0036.jpg

This pic is from the end of a five day trip to the Book Cliffs in the early '80s, back when that was still almost a somewhat remote area. We're all packed up and ready to head home. With FIVE guys, all our gear from a five day trip, and however many deer we killed (I can't remember and can't tell exactly from the pic, but at least three). All in my regular cab pickup (2WD, no less...). It was me, my two partners and their two younger brothers (who of course had to ride in the back the whole trip). One of the things I do remember about that trip, I tore out a hard brake line off the rear axle while retrieving a deer. Had to drive the whole way home, loaded up like that, with only front brakes. For some reason, the previous owner of the truck had removed the red film over the brake light in the dash, so it was just shining a white light in my face. So when we stopped for gas in Roosevelt I bought a magic marker and blacked out the brake light :rofl:.

Heck, these days, when I go on a five day deer hunt BY MYSELF, I can't fit all the crap I take just in my truck, I have to tow a utility trailer!

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Some awesome stories here. It's good to here people are getting out. I disagree with some of what has been said. I don't "need" anything to go camping that is right, but the gadgets do get me out more. A fridge does make me go out more. Having some comforts does get the family out more. Being warm and dry get me out more.
I could load up my geo metro and a can of beans and head out for days if I wanted to, but WHY? I can afford gas(unlike when I was young), and I have others to think about. My kids and wife and myself are much more likely to head out if I have some comforts. I guess the kids are young enough that they don't care.
I used to load up the 48 willys and whatever food was on the middle shelf at my moms and go. Those days are gone for me. I have to be prepared to keep my kids safe and happy. I won't ever miss a trip because I don't have a new gadget. I do leave stuff at home. I didn't take my fridge on the last couple trips I went on, but plan on using it when I feel it will make it better.
I am a gear junky for sure. I think it is because I camp though. Years of camping a lot have made me want to be comfy. When I want to leave some comforts behind I put on my backpack and walk. 17-19 lbs of gear, food, and water on my back.
I have 3 months in the summer off of work and try to use it to the fullest. I guess these aren't "must haves". I should have titled it "wants".

Don't lie to yourselves nice stuff gets you out more. You might have gone out more when you were young, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get you out more now.

I remember the days of dial-up. I was on the internet then, good times. I think I am going to switch back to dial-up, because I don't need anything else.

Last edited:
Hardly.. And that is not what people are necessarily saying, they are saying just a decent 4x4 and the time to do it. First and foremost I think are a mild lift helps and slightly larger tires are nice for comfort first and foremost. I choose to ride a $5500 mountain bike so if I wanted to I can afford that stuff too and yes my wife likes it and it might entice her to get our too so I can see where you are coming from. But the point is you don't need that stuff, it is not must haves in the slightest..

If you really do get out for a few days I would say the order is:

-shower (after a couple days, awesome/needed)
-I still don't have a fridge, it is on my list but pretty low on it though my wife wants one
- The RTT one is an iffy one. I would personally never pay what people pay for them, I happen to have a shop mate who differs and we own it together (I'm just a couple hundred $$ into it) and it is nice to use and is growing on me. But in a lot of ways is also still a PITA at times...
- Welder is one of those things "if you use" and you can come up with a home brew setup and some sticks that will probably work in that super super rare situation unless you have a heavily modified rig as your "expedition vehicle."
- tools, definitely, but if you have a decent truck again (I brought my 2000 Ford Super Duty with mild lift and 33's, otherwise bone stock) then they might not come up even once, so I put together a little kit but won't spend the $$ for a dedicated vehicle set also unless I was convinced it all all of the weird little tools I needed to bring. The best thing for this would simply be to take the time to make a good list, and get it laminated so I actually genuinely had everything I needed every time just in case because sometimes you need some weird little tools...

Here is a trip from the last one we took which was three weeks ago, 1100 miles each way, to the Overland Expo of all things... This is hopefully one of several real trips I hope to take this year. There were all sorts of people on the Internet doing their "last minute expedition builds" to drive to the Expo so they could get there in comfort I suppose just to camp in the parking lot with all of this stuff.. Again it was nice to use Kurt's shower a few days in though. We actually off-roaded there, 6 days/5 nights I had none of this stuff. I am hauling the trailer because someone was hauling it totally unnecessarily and their bumper was having issues.

Attachments

• AM_263.jpg
    AM_263.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 25
  • SM_157.jpg
    SM_157.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
^^ like I said, I should have changed the title to "wants".

I guess the quotations on the "must have" threw everyone off thinking I was implying you couldn't camp without the stuff on the list.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Don't lie to yourselves nice stuff gets you out more. You might have gone out more when you were young, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get you out more now...

Obviously a blanket statement won't apply to every single case but I stand by my words that generally those that 'upgrade and accessorize' with the intent to get out more, get out as much as they did before. I see this with customers on a daily basis. They have a wife or kids that don't like to camp because its cold, dirty, bad food, etc... so they upgrade to a tent, a heater, a shower, etc... guess who is still rolling solo on the next big trip. I take myself as a point and case... I am guilt of owning just about every glamping device known to the industry... but they don't provide any more means for me to get out and enjoy the boonies. One of the funnest trips I did in all of 2009 was the RelicRun, 100% back to the simplistic approach and we successfully proved that you can do a 500 mile trip through remote Utah deserts in the summer with camping gear that is 30 years old :cool:

Its a phase and eventually it will pass, leaving those with vested interest back in their solitude like those in the adventure many years before us. Again these style of trips are neither new nor innovative, they have just become attractive to an upper echelon of market that was turned off by aspects of the sport such as rock-crawling and are looking for cross-over sports for their families. They too will become turned off by the aspects of 'overlanding' such as poor fuel economy out of a rig that gets used twice a year. We are by and far spoiled here in Utah, as we literally can hop in a 4x4 and enjoy thousands of miles of dirt roads leading in each direction. On the flip side are those in the eastern or southern states that have joined into this popular 'bandwagon'. I see guys spending $5k+ to upfit the family caravan (be it a Suburban or Excursion or 80 Series) to do a 'epic trip to the West) one time. Blows me away. It would be like me building a rock-crawler to compete one time in the Old-School Crawl and then trying to tease myself that it is a decent trail rig for the other 360 days a year.

rant off... :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
^^ like I said, I should have changed the title to "wants".

I guess the quotations on the "must have" threw everyone off thinking I was implying you couldn't camp without the stuff on the list.

I think that is where much of this debate lies, the difference between wants and needs. I agree with you that these items are all fabulous wants and if your situation and budget allow they do make camping more comfortable. However if your an Overlander in Texas your peers will have you 100% convinced that you need a RTT, dual batteries and Scepter cans on the roof to make it anywhere off the grid :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I do not own a 12v fridge, a Scepter can for fuel or water, dual batteries, an rtt, a winch, a fancy GPS, a laptop mounted to my vehicle, after market bumpers, dual swing out tire carrier, snorkel, roofrack with bolt on Hi-lift/shovel attachments, canoe, or a raft...

.. But damn, I wish I did! I still get out enough to stay sane with a system that works well for me..

2" super budget lift - spacer/shackle
Very aggressive tires, Load E deep tread - not even taller than stock
Rocker protection - a Must
Aux lighting - For added visibility/safety
Rear mountaineer rack - 2x's the storage capacity
Old fashioned plastic cooler and ice - can't beat the price
Garmin handheld GPS - not even the color screen, but it gets me there and back
CB/HAM radios - can't go without communications - Bought the HAM used
SUV air mattress - beats the foam pad i've always used
Bottle jacks, 50' & 20' tow straps, jumper cables, tool set, spare fluids, TP, tire iron, and a Hi-lift that I always leave at home because i've never once needed it.

I'd say if there were one that that I were to do next it'd be a custom bumper. Most likely a rear bumper due to the possibilities of configurations to store more stuff. OTH, a front bumper could end up being less expensive.

I can't justify an RTT since my wife doesn't camp. I can't justify a fridge - other things would come before it. Snorkel is cool, but, well it's cool looking - They'll around $400 for the Xterra..

If I had to guess, i'd say that my HAM radio is the only "expedition" gear that I have.. I bought off a guy on Expedition Portal.. I'm still not entirely sure what "expedition" gear is...

Last edited:

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
This thread rocks. Awesome stories, love DAAs pics, love the idea that you can have fun with what you got, and I love gear. I grew up camping and exploring in my 2 door sentra and a $12 walmart tent. I bashed the oilpan in so many times from wheeling that car. I still have the tent and occasionally use it even though a pole is broken and it has a million holes from hot coals from explosive things in campfires.

Mesha brings up a good point. The gear you need is the gear that is keeping you from getting out. For me, the reason I don't get out more is that I am getting tired of getting into nasty situations that stress me out when I'm wheeling on my own. Seeing as how gear is easier to buy than friends, I definitely could use a pull pal and a HAM radio.
Things I do have that would keep me from going if I didn't are lots and lots of tools, recovery gear, and jerry cans (Scepters make hauling fuel so much simpler).

Things that I wouldn't mind having to make camping and exploring more comfortable:
-Helton Shower (being clean isn't the comfort I want, its the happy girlfriend :D)
-Fridge. I don't have a place to put it though, so its basically out of the question.
-Mounted laptop with GPS
-A small zodiac craft on my roofrack

Other than that, I have nearly all the gear I've ever wanted for my truck. So now I find myself buying gear for adventures I can do when I get out into cool places with my truck: ski touring/backcountry skiing, mountaineering, backpacking, rock climbing.... It doesn't matter what it its, I think I'll always need gear. :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Obviously a blanket statement won't apply to every single case but I stand by my words that generally those that 'upgrade and accessorize' with the intent to get out more, get out as much as they did before. I see this with customers on a daily basis. They have a wife or kids that don't like to camp because its cold, dirty, bad food, etc... so they upgrade to a tent, a heater, a shower, etc... guess who is still rolling solo on the next big trip. I take myself as a point and case... I am guilt of owning just about every glamping device known to the industry... but they don't provide any more means for me to get out and enjoy the boonies. One of the funnest trips I did in all of 2009 was the RelicRun, 100% back to the simplistic approach and we successfully proved that you can do a 500 mile trip through remote Utah deserts in the summer with camping gear that is 30 years old :cool:

Its a phase and eventually it will pass, leaving those with vested interest back in their solitude like those in the adventure many years before us. Again these style of trips are neither new nor innovative, they have just become attractive to an upper echelon of market that was turned off by aspects of the sport such as rock-crawling and are looking for cross-over sports for their families. They too will become turned off by the aspects of 'overlanding' such as poor fuel economy out of a rig that gets used twice a year. We are by and far spoiled here in Utah, as we literally can hop in a 4x4 and enjoy thousands of miles of dirt roads leading in each direction. On the flip side are those in the eastern or southern states that have joined into this popular 'bandwagon'. I see guys spending $5k+ to upfit the family caravan (be it a Suburban or Excursion or 80 Series) to do a 'epic trip to the West) one time. Blows me away. It would be like me building a rock-crawler to compete one time in the Old-School Crawl and then trying to tease myself that it is a decent trail rig for the other 360 days a year.

rant off... :D

I agree it is a phase and I am a part of it. At least the build a rig for overland, not the go camping part. I camp with or without my fancy stuff. BUT It is fun to "upgrade and accessorize". I do get out more. When we bought the fridge we went on a trip just to try it out. My mom even came. She can't camp for long periods because her insulin goes bad in the heat and coolers work okay, but are sketchy sometimes to keep the bottles in the right temp zone. The fridge was set to the temp and it worked great. Of all the trips I may go on this year I am the most excited for the relic run. I hope I get the chance:hickey:

I think that is where much of this debate lies, the difference between wants and needs. I agree with you that these items are all fabulous wants and if your situation and budget allow they do make camping more comfortable. However if your an Overlander in Texas your peers will have you 100% convinced that you need a RTT, dual batteries and Scepter cans on the roof to make it anywhere off the grid :D

Wait, I don't need a RTT, dual batteries, and scepters? ;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Here's mine. Has an onboard shower,heater with thermostat, stove, restroom facilities, bunks, storage for food and whatzits (cast iron dutch ovens and frying pans). That's about as "Expedition" as I get nowadays? I can be off-grid for about 3-4 days and I'm out of water (with a fullish black tank).

camp.jpg

DAA

I'm still not entirely sure what "expedition" gear is...

Based on the gist of this thread, I'd say it's anything you think you might like, but that don't actually need :greg:. Or, anything you have, and really like, that someone else can't afford :rofl:. Or that you have and like, that someone else doesn't have and doesn't like.

That's a pretty broad definition. But...

Before we can really define what expedition "gear" is, we'd need to know what an "expedition" is.

The term "expedition" actually puts me off just a bit. I'd never heard it used, in the context of what I/we do around here, until I read it on the internet a few years ago. When I first encountered the term being applied to things like taking two days to cover a dirt road that can be driven in six hours, or to generic and really tame camping trips to popular, frequently visited areas, I found use of the term "expedition" rather pretentious. I still maintain, that what I think of as an "expedition", I have never actually done, and probably very few of us ever has, or ever will.

What WE do, is we go camping and exploring.

And I'm an unabashed gear slut. So I like to have really nice stuff to go camping with, like that ARB fridge I'll be scoring soon :greg:.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great stuff guys!

Mesha I should mention that many of us commenting in this thread have had this exact conversation over the campfire many times including just a few weeks ago on the Carbon Neutral Expedition in which we had folks from all angles of the industry chatting around the campfire. Its not seeing an end either as each week literally a new 'overland' or 'outfitter' company pops up that is the next self proclaimed expert on getting you the gear you need for a day trip or month across the Serengeti alike. Many retailers are absolutely cashing in on this craze as shown by the shear number of companies throwing their name in the ring as of late. There is going to be a huge attrition rate in these businesses in the next few years, we are already seeing some new ones go out while five more fill their place. I predict that in another 2-3 years the market will bear its true face and half of these mom/pop companies will go back to their normal careers and forget that there was ever this craze called 'overland'. Many if not most of these new business owners are from user very new to the industry in general... they see a craze and they get a business license. Not unlike many other hobby-job industries, just that this one seemed to balloon far faster than others.

I'm glad I didn't franchise my company so heavily in that genre of goods. While I sale 'expedition' gear so to speak, its by no means the meat and potatoes of my business. At that I was selling fridges, pull-pals, welders and before they became a 'must have' and I'll be selling them after too ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Based on the gist of this thread, I'd say it's anything you think you might like, but that don't actually need :greg:. Or, anything you have, and really like, that someone else can't afford :rofl:. Or that you have and like, that someone else doesn't have and doesn't like.

Your on a roll Dave :rofl:

One of my favorite quotes on the subject from a gentleman I consider a very esteemed explorer:

"Oh barf. Overlanding, expedition wheeling, it is all just car camping for gear freaks.... It is about the journey and the destination, not trying to explain the difference between my backcountry adventure and your overland expedition. :puke:"

:rofl:

Definitions

Expedition Gear
(1) Anything you think you might like, but that don't actually need.
(2) Anything you have, and really like, that someone else can't afford.
(3) Anything that you have and like, that someone else doesn't have and doesn't like.

Glamping
(1) The practice of camping or equipping your self for camping not based on the love of the event but the illustrious stigma attached to you as a partaker
(2) The act of outfitting ones self with aluminum pie iron like cookers, Ex-Officio shirts, campaign furniture camp chairs, roof-top-tents, fridges and fedoras.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
... Fedora.. Next item on my list

I can see it now

indiana-jones-fedora-hat-5.jpg

A couple of people including my wife were calling me 'Indy' on a recent trip. I don't have a Fedora, I've got a Aussie hat made of Squishy Kangaroo, call me Michael J. Dundee dammit!

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I still maintain, that what I think of as an "expedition", I have never actually done, and probably very few of us ever has, or ever will.

What WE do, is we go camping and exploring.

- DAA

I do agree that expedition is an overused term. Like everything that is extreme/xtreme.

I go camping while exploring too. I did post this on the expedition section of the forum though;)

As far as expedition I will go on one or some. Greenland here I come (wyatt you still in?)

DAA

Definitions

Expedition Gear
(1) Anything you think you might like, but that don't actually need.
(2) Anything you have, and really like, that someone else can't afford.
(3) Anything that you have and like, that someone else doesn't have and doesn't like.

Glamping
(1) The practice of camping or equipping your self for camping not based on the love of the event but the illustrious stigma attached to you as a partaker
(2) The act of outfitting ones self with aluminum pie iron like cookers, Ex-Officio shirts, campaign furniture camp chairs, roof-top-tents, fridges and fedoras.

That's PERFECT! :rofl:

- DAA