expedition gear "must have" next purchase

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...As far as expedition I will go on one or some. Greenland here I come (wyatt you still in?)

I think that is what really becomes the teetering point of relevancy. Some do it... some just perpetually get ready for "it". I know your an explorer at heart and have no doubt a fridge or RTT would get used by you... your the exception not the rule :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Solar panels... We forgot solar panels.. Hand to the forehead, doh...

Somebody was ranting about those the other day... was it at the recovery tech night? They had some hilarious comments about solar panels set up at camp each night.

I was thinking about getting solar panels and then running a generator hooked up to some really bright lights to charge the panels at night. Then using an awning to block out the light form the tent so I can sleep. Maybe a different generator hooked to an AC to compensate for the extra heat from the lights. :ugh:

Mesha, good stuff man.. I'm glad you're getting into it also we're not having fun of your expense just making fun of the mentality as it really is funny.. And everyone seems to know it. That said we all have it and do it too in a lot of ways.. I'm just a little more badass than Kurt personally because I don't have a fridge.. But I'll be ridiculed even more in a couple years when I do finally have all of that stuff... So as it goes around... Welcome to the team.. :)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I was thinking about getting solar panels and then running a generator hooked up to some really bright lights to charge the panels at night. Then using an awning to block out the light form the tent so I can sleep. Maybe a different generator hooked to an AC to compensate for the extra heat from the lights. :ugh:

^ Bitchin!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'll admit that I am extremely envious of Kurt's huge selection of surplus military storage bin/containers.. So much so, that I bought one last week off of KSL and don't even know what i'm going to use it for. Damn it..

I found several more on KSL, but.. I just don't know what i'd put in them. But I really want them. Sucks. I can't explain it.

I could always justify it as emergency storage boxes I suppose.. :)

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Heck Wyatt, I had that one solved very early on into my "gear phase".

scan100.jpg

:D.

- DAA

Oh I don't want to actually float in the water, I want something to look badass on the top of my cruiser. Same reason I drive a landcruiser. To look like I'm going on an adventure. If I fool everyone into thinking that I'm adventurous, then I don't have to actually go out, right? :greg:

Serously though, tons of people tailor their vehicle to look a certain way, whether they actually use it for that purpose or not: jacked up street trucks that never see dirt, ricer cars with spoilers that can't go faster than 70, and expensive land rovers with limb risers that wouldnt be caught dead near any limbs. If its just going to be a vehicle to get me around town, I'd still prefer to look and feel unstoppable. Money no object, I'd drive to work in a rusty deuce and a half and pretend like I'm in a military convoy. Why? Cause its awesome. Screw everyone else and what they think I need or don't need. :cody:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Money no object, I'd drive to work in a rusty deuce and a half and pretend like I'm in a military convoy. Why? Cause its awesome. Screw everyone else and what they think I need or don't need. :cody:

I'd join your convoy each day. That's just badass

Jeep_Follow_Me.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I'm just a little more badass than Kurt personally because I don't have a fridge.. But I'll be ridiculed even more in a couple years when I do finally have all of that stuff...

:rofl:

See, the thing is... I actually look forward to people questioning my purpose for buying or building something one way or the other. With the exception of the snorkel that has truly rarely been used, the others get used with great frequency, truly needed or not :D (28 nights in a RTT in 2010 thus far)

And better yet, when I can't come up with a logical reason. I can use the 'I sell them so its a demo' cop out :D

And when all other logic fails. Apocalypse Prep. Nothing can trump that answer.

PS. You won't be ridiculed, you'll just become the motivation for articles on why not to buy/build one ;)

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've found as I get older, and have a family, some things are nice to have. Like a fridge, or a PETT toilet, or whatever. I never thought I'd be dragging a tent trailer up in the hills, but that's what I do when camping with the whole family. When it's just me, I throw the little tent in the jeep and head out.

I tell ya, seeing old man Williams pull out a gallon of ice cream in the middle of the desert is enough to make anyone lust after a fridge/freezer.