expedition gear "must have" next purchase

rholbrook

Spot will be my next investment, I like that you can track where you go but also for the emergency service.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php

Sorry, not impressed with them. I set one up for my BIL because he will go hunting for weeks at a time by himself. It never worked as they claimed and to get it to do everything you had to subscribe to a package which wasn't worth the cost. Even the simple messaging was sporadic at best and you were limited to what you could send out. It was basically preprogramed messages and if I remember it was only one or two different messages. I wouldn't spend the money. In fact, I am sure my BIL would sell his. The advantage was the simple push of a button for emergency help but when the other text messages didn't go out, it makes you wonder if the emergency message would go.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I had one of the earlier Spot's but will be waiting until the new Delorme GPS/Spot combo comes out this summer. Not only does it allow you to use the Spot satellite technology to send out messages, it allows you to send out up to 40? character messages just like you would a text message. Of course you cannot receive but instead of a 'need help, non-life threatening' its 'need help, broken axle on HITR' type message.

As for the coverage, usability of the existing models, etc. I can't really say. My Spot was one of the recalled models and rather then wait forever for them to send a replacement, I just returned it to the place I bought it. They new models have been out for a month or so now but after seeing the Delorme unit at the Outdoor Retailers show, I'm just going to wait for that.

My buddy Dave used a spot on his ExpeditionAmericas trip from Canada to the tip of South America, it was very neat to be able to track him and while it may not have a 100% outgoing success or even a 80%, its still a somewhat reliable way to track someone. Think of the case of Aaron Ralston, they didn't even know which state he was in let alone where in the state. A Spot would have saved him days of agony even at 25% outgoing success. Of course traveling with trusted companions and making a trip plan can have even more success ;)

On a recent Swell trip I lead, our BLM permit mandated a satellite phone. Each year the group that puts on the event rents a fleet of satellite phones for all the trail leaders. For a 5+ day trip I think it is really the way to go, cost is ~$50 and you have instant access to any number your fingers can dial. Last year on the same guided trip we had a head injury to deal with, amazingly nearly 90% of the Swell is covered by Verizon these days, so I was able to make a 911 call from there and send our injured party into the closest town where they had sutures waiting :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Steve J. is already reaching his goal to devalue the name 'expedition' which is thrown out like the word 'bacon' these days :D

"I wont be doing any serious rock crawling, just mainly Exhibition type traveling as this is also my Daily Driver."

From a customer, feel bad for teasing about it but it is funny. Freudian slip maybe?

P.S. Davy: I'm looking forward to your gear review.

P.S.S Cody: My steel cast iron broken. Not a major failure but a failure none the less. Sorta to be expected with Jason smacking it against a rock in some failed attempt at using it? Here is the kicker, I'll fix it with my welder. Try that with your pop can pot metal :p (the RR attendees reminded me we hadn't feuded about this lately so I figured this thread is as good as any)

Last edited:

redXJ

Thats what she said
Sorry, not impressed with them. I set one up for my BIL because he will go hunting for weeks at a time by himself. It never worked as they claimed and to get it to do everything you had to subscribe to a package which wasn't worth the cost. Even the simple messaging was sporadic at best and you were limited to what you could send out. It was basically preprogramed messages and if I remember it was only one or two different messages. I wouldn't spend the money. In fact, I am sure my BIL would sell his. The advantage was the simple push of a button for emergency help but when the other text messages didn't go out, it makes you wonder if the emergency message would go.

I will have to say yours was broken or user fail. I have a friend who went around the great salt lake and another trip threw the swell. Every 15 mins I could see where there group was.

I have to agree with kurt. I will be waiting for the new Delorme GPS/Spot combo.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
P.S.S Cody: My steel cast iron broken. Not a major failure but a failure none the less. Sorta to be expected with Jason smacking it against a rock in some failed attempt at using it? Here is the kicker, I'll fix it with my welder. Try that with your pop can pot metal :p (the RR attendees reminded me we hadn't feuded about this lately so I figured this thread is as good as any)

I was merely testing the durability of your cast iron pie skillet Kurt. It clearly had failed due to being made immediately after a batch of aluminum pie irons, so the machinery must've had traces of inferior aluminum metal throughout - thus weakening the cast iron pie skillet that you bought. :greg:

In my defense I was getting my @$$ kicked by the smoke, working two pie irons, kids running around the fire as I could barely open my eyes anyways cause of the smoke.. I'm lucky someone didn't get a pie iron brand on their leg or something.. I checked one of the pizzas and it was stuck to one side - so I tapped it on a rock. I wouldn't call it a smack, it was a tap... But it was enough with how hot it had got.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Jason, I did the same thing to one of my pie irons, But I also think I packed it a little too full.
I'm glad my round pie iron was able to come to the rescue :)

DAA

P.S. Davy: I'm looking forward to your gear review.

Just a brief note for now - I love the ARB fridge/freezer! It has been in nearly constant use since I got it. Logged I don't know how many thousands of road miles and somewhere around 800+ off road miles with it already. It's been on two multi day trips to Nevada already (including one four night/five day scorcher over the 4rth - soooo nice keeping a constant 29* for that long with no melting ice!), one multi day trip to Idaho, four multi day trips in Utah (ice cream at the Maze overlook was sweet!) and has seen use on several family outings, bbq's and get togethers (it kicks azz for bringing home left overs). Has spent time in the back seat of my Mega cab, the back of my Jeep, the back of my Wife's Denali, in the bed of my buddies Tacoma and in the bed of another buddies Chevy. Came in quite handy to hard freeze some nice brookies we caught on Boulder mtn. last weekend for the trip home and I'm looking forward to doing the same with the meat from the mule deer buck I'm going to kill with my bow in the La Sals next month. That ability to freeze stuff is just too handy! I'm afraid mine probably "looks" more "used" than probably 98% of the 50 qt. models in service already, too, I'm rough on stuff...

Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bumping this thread after a few recent conversations I've had... not going to name names but at least one is an RME'er and I asked him if it was OK to share our conversation.

It started like this... "I need to build me an 'expedition' type rig so I can join you guys on some of the neat trips you've been doing". I then laid in with my diatribe you may have heard before... having a RTT or a fridge or a off-road trailer isn't going to get you out on this type of trip. While they fine-tune your experience they don't create it.

We did a SLC to Carson City Pony Express Trail trip last year in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the PET, we had a Rav4 along for the trip and they completed it just the same sans a few tires and some bumper trim :D

I guess my point is... use what you have. A Dodge pickup could do the route we took on the Utah Cruiser Expedition II from 4 corners Utah to 3 Corners UT/ID/NV. A Suburu could do the PET across the west. Get out and do the trips and then decide how you need to fine tune your setup for ease of use, quicker camp build/break. The famous White Rim Trail, Hole in the Rock and many others often labeled 'Expedition Trails' can be done in a stock 4x4 with a Coleman cooler and a ground tent. Don't let your adventurous appetite be squelched by thousands of dollars worth of gear that you let be your hurdle ;)

Paudrhound

Bumping this thread after a few recent conversations I've had... not going to name names but at least one is an RME'er and I asked him if it was OK to share our conversation.

It started like this... "I need to build me an 'expedition' type rig so I can join you guys on some of the neat trips you've been doing". I then laid in with my diatribe you may have heard before... having a RTT or a fridge or a off-road trailer isn't going to get you out on this type of trip. While they fine-tune your experience they don't create it.

We did a SLC to Carson City Pony Express Trail trip last year in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the PET, we had a Rav4 along for the trip and they completed it just the same sans a few tires and some bumper trim :D

I guess my point is... use what you have. A Dodge pickup could do the route we took on the Utah Cruiser Expedition II from 4 corners Utah to 3 Corners UT/ID/NV. A Suburu could do the PET across the west. Get out and do the trips and then decide how you need to fine tune your setup for ease of use, quicker camp build/break. The famous White Rim Trail, Hole in the Rock and many others often labeled 'Expedition Trails' can be done in a stock 4x4 with a Coleman cooler and a ground tent. Don't let your adventurous appetite be squelched by thousands of dollars worth of gear that you let be your hurdle ;)

Thanks Kurt, some of us need to hear this. Like me, greatly appreciated.

sixstringsteve

It started like this... "I need to build me an 'expedition' type rig so I can join you guys on some of the neat trips you've been doing".

And here I am thinking I need a less built rig to go "expeditioneering" with you guys. :rofl::rofl::rofl: