Experience with Lasik?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Any of you guys had LASIK done? I had a consult a bit ago and scheduled a date for mid January. Now I'm wondering if I ought to go through with it. I'm coming out of a bit of a unique situation with my vision.

EB101

Had mine done about 15 years ago. I had bad astigmatism but it fixed me right up. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but.. They overcorrected my eyes, I never knew because young eyes can compensate without issue. Now I'm older and not only do I need reading glasses but am using bifocals to correct their F (foul) up. I went with Laser Vision Center for their bargain price but they changed names and sold out and whatever.. they're gone. So, go with someone you trust and that's been there for a long time. You'll love it but expect some changes in your 40s, they also recommended "mono vision" but I passed on that, looking back, that could have saved me half my current issues.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've had corrected vision since first grade, I'm 31 now. In about 2005 I went in for a checkup and left with a new prescription. After getting it filled I had trouble adjusting to the new script and went back in to verify that it was correct, I was getting really bad headaches and my vision was still pretty blurry. Doc said everything was good and that I just needed to get used to it which I did with time, the headaches went away but my vision wasn't ever super clear. I chalked it up to "getting older" but was still in my early twentys. Since then I've been to two other eye doctors for script re-ups. During my lasik consult the doctor said that my script is was too strong in my left eye. It was -4.5 and needed to be -3.25, my right eye was good though. I was pissed because this explained the blurry vision and I had just spent a chunk of money on prescription sunglasses. The lasik doc said that my brain had compensated for the bad script but by getting my eyes dilated it blocked the brains ability to do that. This is one of the ways he was able to determine the script was bad. I wasn't aware that was one of the purposes of dilation and had semi frequently asked to not have it done.

Anyway, I had recently broken my regular glasses when I endo-ed on my MTB with Steve and Kyle so I started to see if I could find some cheap glasses. I found zenni optical and ordered a pair of glasses shipped for $12. During the checkout process I realized that they didn't require me to send in a copy of my eye script (I didn't get an updated one from the Lasik doctor) like most reputable online glasses sites so I adjusted it down to what the doc said it should have been. BAM! Perfect, clear, amazing vision.

My apt is coming up and I'm just wondering about whether I ought to go through with it now that I've figured out what was wrong with my vision. My hangups are the standard ones I'm sure. I'm a bit nervous about losing my sight and the other is price. I've made allocations to our flex spending accounts to cover this but its still a lot of money. I don't really mind wearing glasses either.

Last edited:

skeptic

Everyone I personally know that has had it done including a good friend, ex wife and current wife have all loved the results and would do it again in a heartbeat. The only real question, depending on your eyes, is if you go one eye focused on distance and one up close or both on distance. Friend did 1 and 1, wife did both for distance, both are happy and think they made the right choice.

I've never worn corrective lenses, last time I had my vision checked in my 20s (about 20 years ago) I tested 20/10 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. As far as I can tell, I still have 20/20 or better. I don't think I'd mind occasional reading glasses, but if I ever get to the point where I need them for driving I'll be doing lasik instead.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member

Lots of great info here, thanks for the link.

I didn't realize how much variance in pricing there is/was. I wonder if this is still the case or if prices have stabilized over the years. I was quoted $4,700 and am eligible for a $1,200 discount because my wife works in an elementary school so actual price is $3,500. I went to Hoopes and was very happy with how the apt went, especially that they were able to explain to me why my vision sucked so bad. I haven't shopped around and maybe that is something that I ought to do. For the guys that went to every doctor in the valley, (Cody) were the consults free? Did you pay for your appointments? I'm not worried about paying but just wasn't sure how that worked and would like to know before hand. (My Hoopes consult didn't have an upfront charge.)

It seems like you are all saying the same thing that I have heard before, "I love it and wish I would have done it sooner." My aren't are -3.25 and -4.25 so they aren't horrible, my wife is in the -10+ range and was told the only thing that could be done for her is to implant a lens.

Thanks for the feedback and all the info.

skeptic

my wife is in the -10+ range and was told the only thing that could be done for her is to implant a lens.

How long has it been? My wife was legally blind without glasses (explains why she's with me) and was originally told the same thing years ago. Then a couple years ago she found out there has been much progress made and she was a good candidate for a new procedure, which is what she had done.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
It was about 2 years ago she was told this. She hasn't seriously explored eye correction but asked the doctor last time she was in the chair. My understanding is that vision may change during pregnancy so you'd want to wait until after having kids if you going to have it done. I think we'll look at it closer for her in a few more years, I figured that technology would catch up and there would be a solution for her horrible eyes.

Pile of parts

I had it done about 7 years ago. I love it. Vision is great. Did both for distance with the knowledge that I might need reading glasses later on. But, who reads anyway? That's what movies are for and instruction manuals are a sign of weakness. :D I went through Hoopes and am very happy. Like was said before, go with a place that's been around. I'm with you, didn't mind wearing glasses for the most part but many of my activities were a pain with them - Skiing (water/snow), Hiking/Hunting - glasses fogging up or getting wet, sports, etc. You won't be sorry.

Corban_White

Based on the info in the other thread my wife went to several places to have a consult done and settled on Moran about 18 months ago. None of them charged her for the consult. She went to Hoopes first and was told she was not a candidate but we determined that she had not gone long enough without wearing her contacts. About 6 months later she wore glasses for almost 2 months to make sure and they all said she was a perfect candidate, even Hoopes. She has better vision than me now (I have 20/20-she charts at 20/15 and she can regularly read signs that are too far away for me to read). I was SUPER worried that something would go wrong and she would be blind but the whole experience was great and she is soooo happy not to have to deal with corrective lenses any more.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
(blind people don't read off road forums)

You're on to something there. I guess all my internet research was skewed from the start. I need to go to a blind person (I'm sure there is a better way to say that) support group and start asking if their vision problems stem from vision correction surgery.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Changed my life. Best thing ever.

I did it 6 years ago best move ever.

This. Absolutely amazing and worth every penny.

Almost 5 years and still the best mod I have done.

x5. I also feel this was the best thing I've ever done. My only regret was not doing it sooner. It's been about 6 1/2 years since my procedure.

I decided my vision wasn't something to be shopped around to the lowest bidder. I ignored the cost and instead went for the highest overall quality I could find--not only hardware, but experience both in general (as in procedures performed) as well as in the field itself (at the forefront of research and development). This made my decision of where to go very simple: Hoopes. Nothing else comes close.

After their outrageously thorough eye exam, I (not they) decided to go with PRK rather than Lasik. My corneas were a little thinner than average, and even though Dr. Hoopes felt I was well within the margin of safety I felt better about PRK. It cost me about $3300 all in, and it was worth every last penny. Each eye individually now sees 20/20; with both eyes I can see 20/15.

One nice thing was how all-inclusive that price really was. Not only did it cover the procedure itself, that also paid for all of my follow-up visits over the following year, plus all my fluids/prescriptions/handouts, and so on. To date I have not had to pay them an additional dime (my eye insurance now pays for my annual exam). FYI