Experience with Lasik?

Bart

Glad to see this revived. I've been thinking about getting this for my wife and I but $3k+ per procedure is out of my price range.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I did mine at Davis as well (mentioned earlier in this thread)

It's crazy to think it's been 2 years in March. Still the BEST THING I EVER DID!!!! Totally worth the $3k or whatever it was.

RockChucker

I just had LASIK done at Hoopes Vision in draper today. Super great experience and I can already see amazing. After the surgery my eyes felt similar to a pretty bad flashburn from welding. Now 12 hrs post surgery there is only minor irritation. My eyes aren't red and blood shot either. I spent a decent amount of time sleeping today and taking it easy and various varieties of eye drops at the top of every hour. So far so good and it should only get better from here!

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Congrats! I did mine a couple of years ago, and my biggest regret was waiting so long. Probably my favorite perk is being able to tell the time in the middle of the night without flailing around to find glasses first!

I just had LASIK done at Hoopes Vision in draper today. Super great experience and I can already see amazing. After the surgery my eyes felt similar to a pretty bad flashburn from welding. Now 12 hrs post surgery there is only minor irritation. My eyes aren't red and blood shot either. I spent a decent amount of time sleeping today and taking it easy and various varieties of eye drops at the top of every hour. So far so good and it should only get better from here!

RockChucker

At my post op follow up this morning, I had 20/15 vision in my left eye and 20/20 in my right. Booyah! They say things are still in flux and could get better. My only regret is waiting as long as I did too!

Bart

Hmmmm, I hate when this thread pops back up, but I really hate spending $400 for prescription sun glasses also.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
My wife had it done Last week at Hoops vision also. She is happy and states its worth it. Her vision was bad before. Her post op visit was 20/15 in one eye 20/20 in the other. Here was more complicated due to a stigmatism she had. Paid $3800.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have a consultation at Hoopes in a couple weeks. :eek:

I'm scared/excited

I have a couple co-workers who had theirs done recently with awesome results.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm 40, does age matter?

Yes and no. I had my PRK done nine years ago at age 37. So long as your corneas are done growing/changing, you should be perfectly fine and your results should be essentially permanent.

So why did I say yes and no? Because there is still the potential issue of age-based need for reading glasses. As Dr Hoopes Jr explained to me, many people will need reading glasses in their later years due to weakened eye muscles that have trouble focusing up close. Because this is a muscle issue and not related to the shape of your corneas, Lasik/PRK does nothing to prevent this situation. This is why he cautioned me before my procedure: "while PRK/lasik will permanently alter the shape of your corneas, this is no guarantee you will never need reading glasses at some point years down the road." Nearly a decade later, I am still in the clear as far as reading goes.

I hope that doesn't scare you off. I continue to be 100% satisfied with my own results. My only regret is that I didn't do it years sooner.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yes and no. I had my PRK done nine years ago at age 37. So long as your corneas are done growing/changing, you should be perfectly fine and your results should be essentially permanent.

So why did I say yes and no? Because there is still the potential issue of age-based need for reading glasses. As Dr Hoopes Jr explained to me, many people will need reading glasses in their later years due to weakened eye muscles that have trouble focusing up close. Because this is a muscle issue and not related to the shape of your corneas, Lasik/PRK does nothing to prevent this situation. This is why he cautioned me before my procedure: "while PRK/lasik will permanently alter the shape of your corneas, this is no guarantee you will never need reading glasses at some point years down the road." Nearly a decade later, I am still in the clear as far as reading goes.

I hope that doesn't scare you off. I continue to be 100% satisfied with my own results. My only regret is that I didn't do it years sooner.

I've had several people echo what you've said. Makes me happy to hear.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I had PRK done a little more than a month ago. Because of what Turbominivan stated above, I only corrected one eye to stave off readers even longer because I'm near sighted already.

My results are getting better everyday, but it's been a rough go. With PRK the recovery is much longer, but certainly going to be worth it when I'm done recovering.

I have a follow up tomorrow so I'll know more on the progress.

N-Smooth

Hang in there on the PRK recovery. I believe they said it would take 3-5 months for my vision to be fixed and it really did take at least 3. One of my eyes was 20/20 after a couple weeks but the other took a few months and now I usually test 20/15, two years later. :)

N-Smooth

Oh and my Dr had the same thing to say about age. Basically, most people will need reading glasses after 40 but that doesn't mean your vision needs to be lousy altogether. I was like 31 so I'm hoping for a solid decade of no glasses.