Flavor of the Week

Cascadia

Undecided
I thought it did really well. It sits a little higher than all my other rigs so I either need to get used to that feeling or lower it an inch or 2. It crawled very well with the dual cases and it had plenty of flex but not too much to make it feel tippy. ARB's were also pretty amazing. Never had a set before. The steering gear box seems to be favoring the passenger side more. I can turn super sharp right hand turns but the left turns take an Austin powers golf cart point turn. So I need to pull the pitman arm and get the gear box centered. Other than that it's great. I wish it had a cage. I would feel a lithle more comfortable. And it doesn't need 4.7s but they could come in handy sometime.

Cascadia

Undecided
Go Back to the camo!!:rofl::rofl: :shawn: That green looks like baby sh..crap!

Personally, I think camo sucks. I don't hunt and I'm not trying to hide from anyone while I'm wheeling so I don't get the point of it. I don't want to look white trash and my wife doesn't either. She said it had to be parked down the road til it was painted. I would've painted it anyways but she just expedited the process.

Cascadia

Undecided
What would be the best way to go about getting a wider stance out of my runner? I don't really want to use spacers but would if I had to. Any info would be great since I don't know much about Toyotas.

sixstringsteve

You have several options:

Option 1
an '86-95 rear axle (from the IFS trucks and 4runners) will widen the rear stance by 3" total (1.5" per side). Superfly is selling one super cheap right now. It's a simple swap, although you'd want to put your 5.29 ARB third in that housing.

if you did that, you'd want to widen the front by 1.5" per side. you can do this with wheel spacers, or an IFS hub conversion ($$, but no spacers).

Option 2
You can run really deep dish offset wheels (2.0" backspacing). These are tough to find, and you'll either have to have them custom made for you, or get lucky and find some used ones.

Option 3
Or you can run wheel spacers, which isn't as bad as it sounds. Most yota guys use 1.5" wheel spacers.

Option 4
Did somebody say dana 60s? :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Another option is to lower your current rig so it feels wider and less top-heavy. Yank the body lift, pull a few leaves out, and you'll sit a good 2-3" lower and feel more stable. Also, your rig is way more stable than it may feel.

Also, wheeling without the fiberglass top will make it less top-heavy.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
You have several options:

Option 1
an '86-95 rear axle (from the IFS trucks and 4runners) will widen the rear stance by 3" total (1.5" per side). Superfly is selling one super cheap right now. It's a simple swap, although you'd want to put your 5.29 ARB third in that housing.

if you did that, you'd want to widen the front by 1.5" per side. you can do this with wheel spacers, or an IFS hub conversion ($$, but no spacers).
What all would I need to do to swap my current gears and locker into the 86-95 rear axle? Will everything fit with no mods or will it be a lot of work? I don't really have a problem with spacers, just always tried to stay away from them in my jeeps. What was the backspacing of the tires on the 81?

sixstringsteve

I don't remember the exact backspacing. It was either 2.5" or 3.0" (you can ask Colton, he owns the wheels now). The wheels were 17x9 with 1.5" wheel spacers, about as wide as you can get. I think it was almost full width. I loved the stance on that rig.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

What all would I need to do to swap my current gears and locker into the 86-95 rear axle? Will everything fit with no mods or will it be a lot of work?

Toyotas are different from jeeps. The entire third member (gears, lockers, pinion, etc) unbolts from the housing in one chunk. The only thing that could be tricky is where the air line enters the axle. Here are the two options for that:

1) Your ARB air line enters the housing (not very common)
2) Your ARB air line enters the third member (more common)

In example 1, you'd have to modify the new housing to accept that air line. Not incredibly difficult, but a pain.

In example 2, all you do is unbolt the third member, pull it out, and bolt it in to your new housing.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Toyotas are different from jeeps. The entire third member (gears, lockers, pinion, etc) unbolts from the housing in one chunk. The only thing that could be tricky is where the air line enters the axle. Here are the two options for that:

1) Your ARB air line enters the housing (not very common)
2) Your ARB air line enters the third member (more common)

In example 1, you'd have to modify the new housing to accept that air line. Not incredibly difficult, but a pain.

In example 2, all you do is unbolt the third member, pull it out, and bolt it in to your new housing.
So basically I need to go outside, look underneath, and if the air line goes in the front side(third member) of my rear axle then I have an easy swap?

sixstringsteve

Wouldn't my rear axle already be an ifs rear axle since my runner is an 87 and has a SAS? How do I tell which I have?

d'oh, I forgot it was an '87. Assuming they kept the stock rear axle, yes, you've got the wider IFS rear axle. Are there wheel spacers on the front?

Cascadia

Undecided
There aren't any wheel spacers on the front but remember these are my axles? Trail gear high pinion front diff w/5:29 gears ARB
Trail gear rear diff 5:29/ARB
Do they only make ifs and tacoma widths?

sixstringsteve

There aren't any wheel spacers on the front but remember these are my axles? Trail gear high pinion front diff w/5:29 gears ARB
Trail gear rear diff 5:29/ARB
Do they only make ifs and tacoma widths?

Those specs are referring to the third members (5.29, arb, hi-pinion, etc), not the axle housing. The third members and are interchangeable in all '79-85 mini truck/4runner front axles, and all '79-95 rear axles.

Here are some axle widths for you.

'79-85 front axle~ 55.5", rear axle~ 55"
'86-95 front IFS~ 59", rear axle~ 58.5"
Tacoma 4x4, '96-up 4runner front IFS~ ???, rear axle- 60"
T100 front IFS~ 65", rear axle~ 66.75"
'90-97 Landcruiser FJ-80/FZJ-80 front axle~ 63.5"

Last edited: