Flavor of the Week

Cascadia

Undecided
I was thinking that the trail gear part was referring to their rock assault housings. I thought that's what he told me. I guess I'll have to find out. Either way, I looked at my housings and my arb lines go in the thirds so that's good news.

Cascadia

Undecided
Found out the front axle is from an 85 and the rear is from my 87 runner. So it looks like I need to get some spacers up front and then maybe some offset wheels. Who made yours for you on the 81 Steve?

sixstringsteve

For anything tire or wheel, I recommend Tanner (username Jardine). His boss, Greg, is great to deal with too (I think Greg's on here too, but I don't know his username).

I went to discount and told them I wanted Cragar soft 8's in a 2.5" BS. They said "we don't stock Cragar, but we stock 'unique', and they're made in the same factory as the Cragars." (I'm not sure if that's true or not, but they look identical.)

To get a rim with that much backspace, they have to reverse it, so you can't run beadlocks on it anymore because the safety bead is now on the outside. Not a big deal for me since I've never blown a bead.

Since they were custom-building the wheels for me anyway, I had them mount the valve stem inboard a few extra inches to stay away from rocks.

Discount matches prices, so try and find some cragars or something from Summit for cheaper first, then price match.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
You have several options:

Option 1
an '86-95 rear axle (from the IFS trucks and 4runners) will widen the rear stance by 3" total (1.5" per side). Superfly is selling one super cheap right now. It's a simple swap, although you'd want to put your 5.29 ARB third in that housing.

if you did that, you'd want to widen the front by 1.5" per side. you can do this with wheel spacers, or an IFS hub conversion ($$, but no spacers).

Option 2
You can run really deep dish offset wheels (2.0" backspacing). These are tough to find, and you'll either have to have them custom made for you, or get lucky and find some used ones.

Option 3
Or you can run wheel spacers, which isn't as bad as it sounds. Most yota guys use 1.5" wheel spacers.

Option 4
Did somebody say dana 60s? :D
I have a ifs rear axle and wheels with 2in bs and I stick out a little past my 4in fender flares in the rear, on the front stock width plus wheels which is still wide. I will have to post some pics

Cascadia

Undecided
Well I sold the 4 runner about 10 days after I posted this thread. It makes sense...Flavor of the Week. But I have been rigless for the almost month or so which hasn't been too much fun. I picked up a 90 wrangler the other day that has a blown 2.5 motor. I'm trying to decide what to do about the motor. Bolting a 2.5 back in would be the easiest thing to do. Are there any other cheapish options that I have for a motor. The part I'm most worried asbout it the electrical. I would also like to have an auto instead of the ax-5. Does anyone have an engine, trans, and t-case together that would go in without too much work?

I'm also not sure if I am going to keep it street legal. If this is the case what all would need to be wired still? Just the motor, drivetrain, and some lights, and stereo stuff? If that's the case would the electrical be too hard?

I'd also like some input on what I should do to the jeep. It's not rusty other than the top of the windshield frame. I don't like short wheelbase rigs...just not as comfortable or confident in one. I loved my 103 inch LJ but I also loved my 116 inch 81 yota. Should I shoot for 110? I want 37"-40" tires on full widths unless I find some somewhat narrowed and it'd be nice to have a flat belly again.

Links and coilovers?
Links and coils?
Links and air shocks?

Any input would be nice. No matter how constructive it is.

Attachments

• 5-23-11 241.JPG
    5-23-11 241.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

plaidfro

37"+ tires with the 2.5L sounds brutal... Swapping in a 4.0L sounds like a pain as well (I know the wiring would kill me). Throw in a working 2.5l from a junkyard, sell it, and move on to the next rig. Or if you are bold, scrap the 2.5L and go with a sweet TDI... wish I had the ability to drop one of those in.

Cascadia

Undecided
Not too sure I want to sell it. I picked it up as something cheap to work on and have something to wheel and build up. I've had 37s with a 2.5 before and it really wasn't that bad with 4.88s. Tyler send me a pm with what your buddy might pay.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Have you seen the orange YJ that Bart drove around for awhile? That was one of my favorite YJs. Full width, sprung under, 37s....

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I would do a 4bta swap and use air shocks and link it, use what ever axles you can find cheap that are tough and a full roll cage and your done? I think a diesel YJ would be cool and linked front and rear with 37's would make it capable and yes id go for around 106 to 110 wheelbase

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
aggghhh so frustrated I typed out some big long thing and RME deleted it when I clicked post.

short story is. I built a 89 yj dd recently from a cheapy. 350tpi 700r4 8.25 rear, new paint, interior everything.
so if you need parts call me.

also I'd be interested in swapping you rims + $ if you want steelies.

if I built mine into a hardcore street legal here is the recipe I'd use:
linked front.
lowers inside the frame 7-8" stretch w/ astrovan box and hydro assist.
Stock flipped cherokee leaves + traction bar 4-5" stretch rear, front hangers frenched for flat belly.
21" belly.
fuel cell under the jeep.
37's with axles that will handle them.
35 spline selectable rear stuff.
Keep it narrow (under 79") w/ backspaced rims.
box4rocks doubler or atlas. rear turning breaks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
aggghhh so frustrated I typed out some big long thing and RME deleted it when I clicked post.

short story is. I built a 89 yj dd recently from a cheapy. 350tpi 700r4 8.25 rear, new paint, interior everything.
so if you need parts call me.

also I'd be interested in swapping you rims + $ if you want steelies.

if I built mine into a hardcore street legal here is the recipe I'd use:
linked front.
lowers inside the frame 7-8" stretch w/ astrovan box and hydro assist.
Stock flipped cherokee leaves + traction bar 4-5" stretch rear, front hangers frenched for flat belly.
21" belly.
fuel cell under the jeep.
37's with axles that will handle them.
35 spline selectable rear stuff.
Keep it narrow (under 79") w/ backspaced rims.
box4rocks doubler or atlas. rear turning breaks.

All good ideas in my opinion. I like the front stretch the most. Personally, I'd probably leave the YJ leaf setup in the rear with maybe a 2-3" lift spring and leave the stock YJ tank setup alone.

79" is tough, but doable without custom parts(Stock Dodge front 60 would be a good place to start). Stock Dodge wheels are about 80" with 37" Creepy Crawlers on my Chev 60. The hub flange is hitting a few things, but it's not something you can't drive around and it's not an issue if you're running drive slugs.

I'd just do an Atlas rather than the doubler setups.

We're SERIOUSLY considering a new house so my Jeep may need to move on to another owner.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
All good ideas in my opinion. I like the front stretch the most. Personally, I'd probably leave the YJ leaf setup in the rear with maybe a 2-3" lift spring and leave the stock YJ tank setup alone.

79" is tough, but doable without custom parts(Stock Dodge front 60 would be a good place to start). Stock Dodge wheels are about 80" with 37" Creepy Crawlers. The hub flange is hitting a few things, but it's not something you can't drive around and it's not an issue if you're running drive slugs.

I'd just do an Atlas rather than the doubler setups.

We're SERIOUSLY considering a new house so my Jeep may need to move on to another owner.
:eek:

Oh man dont tell tyson that now he will want to buy your jeep:rofl: