Food Smokers

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have a masterbuilt 30 and love it but now that the door is cracking they say a new door is around $60+shipping so ill be saving up for a pit boss pellet smoker.
Slap some foil tape (like for HVAC) on that bad boy and keep on truckin' (assuming you're talking about the glass. if it's metal, bring it by and we'll see if it can be welded"

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
They best advice I can give for brisket, is start with a quality piece of meat. It is hard to beat costco's prime grade full packers. I hate to let out my secret, But last time I bought a few from there, they were only $2.70/lb.

Thats where I intended to go buy the brisket last week also. Except I didn't realize they close at 7pm so by the time I made my way over to Costco they had already closed. So I never got to do it.

For those using electric smokers, do you keep a water pan in for all meats or just on some?

carsonc1974

You may have a harder time getting to temp in an electric smoker. If you can get it hot enough easily, I would use a water pan. If it struggles to maintain temp, the evaporation of the water may make it even harder to keep temp up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
You may have a harder time getting to temp in an electric smoker. If you can get it hot enough easily, I would use a water pan. If it struggles to maintain temp, the evaporation of the water may make it even harder to keep temp up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

so far I've only been cooking at about 220-225 and so it maintains temps just fine with a water pan. However I tried making smoked wings once and I wanted to run 275 and it had a hell of a time getting up there and it fluctuated a lot.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I saw a traeger at costco the other day for 650 or 700. Is that about the going price for a decent smoker? One you don't have to fiddle with much and that "just works?"

Jesser04

Smoked some bacon Christmas morning and I'm smoking stuffed mushrooms as I write this. We have a traeger and use it quite a bit. Almost everything that we'd have put it the oven now goes in the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_4667.JPG
    IMG_4667.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    928.5 KB · Views: 24

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I smoked 24 lbs of pork butt this weekend for a family birthday party. Served pulled pork sandwiches. No pics of the end result because I was too busy eating it. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_5861.JPG
    IMG_5861.JPG
    905.3 KB · Views: 11

airmanwilliams

I'll post my recipes tomorrow. They are selling at the hospital like crazy. I'm talking with the gift shop manager about putting them in there and our cafeteria manager wants some to talk to his boss about.

Jesser04

Smoked a brisket the other day it turned out pretty good. This is the first one that I had the time to really let it rest like you should. Smoked it for 7 hours to 200 degrees and rested for 2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_4805.jpg
    IMG_4805.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4806.JPG
    IMG_4806.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4807.JPG
    IMG_4807.JPG
    846.7 KB · Views: 17

airmanwilliams

that looks amazing

I still have some apple wood for you.

Im sorry I haven't stopped by yet. My wife is substituting at our boys school until the 17th of next month so I have to race to work when they get home. Will you be home this coming Saturday if I can find time to head up?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I picked up a Traeger over the weekend, it's the smaller Tailgater model. It's lightly used and a year old, the guy I bought it from became a Vegetarian, so they weren't using it. X-DX-DX-D

I've always thought the pellet smokers were a cheaters way of smoking.... but I gave in for the convenience. I do like how easy it is to just smoke the meat, then turn up the temperature and cook it.

I still have my big Masterbuilt propane smoker and a small Lil Chief electric smoker, but may sell them if the Traeger proves to be as good as everyone says. Going to try some Salmon today and some steaks for dinner tonight.

20180728_150038.jpg