General Car Emergency Kits

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
What do you keep in your car emergency kits? This is for your DD, wifes car, etc. Not your tool bag for the trail.
do you remember about 5 years ago when we had that huge snow storm that had people stranded trying to get out to eagle mountain? There were people in serious trouble because they were not prepared. They were running their cars fro heat, but would run out of gas. Since that day our vehicles have not gone below 1/2 tank of fuel, and it has been very helpful at times, and has given us amazing amounts of peace.
We carry a spare blanket for each family member +1. (little square fleece blankets)
I am severely lacking in tools in our emergency packs.

Here's what I have in EACH of our vehicles:

Tow strap or Chain
Ratcheting straps
very few tools.. screw driver and pliers.
Flash light
jumper cables
first aid kit

in my wifes car, where this kids ride we also have:

Blankets
extra clothing for kids (pants,undies,socks,shirt)
1 adult coat
air compressor
tire plugs

What else should be kept in an emergency kit? It needs to be practical. We would all love to keep spare HAM radios, life rafts, and a spare engine.. but it isn't going to happen.
I have based our kits on 'most likely emergency' and tried to prepare for that.

THANKS!!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
In my daily driver I have:
3/8" socket set in a blow molded case
wrenches
pliers/side-cuts
tools that may be vehicle specific, example if I'm changing my oil I try to use what is in the vehicle so if an allen wrench is needed then a set is added to the tool bag.
Tie wire
Zip ties
tow rope
a set of insulated overalls/hat/gloves
some water bottles
hard candy (smarties or similar that won't melt)
12V USB charger to charge my phone (I can use it as a flashlight).
lighter/something I can make fire with

jentzschman

Food and water is mandatory IMHO. Food offers a great stress relief in emergencies and with kids that stress gets magnified 10 fold I would imagine.

I keep a 72 hours kit in my truck at all times with MRE's and water, as well as ways to filter and purify water. I also keep blankets, clothes, extra oil, power steering fluid.

I also have a small folding stove to boil water or do light heating/cooking of anything. Call me paranoid, but I also keep a Marine fighting knife (for general knife use and protection) and tomahawk "axe" for protection.

rondo

rondo
my wifes emergency kit has hat, gloves, sweatshirt, chem light stick, 1st aid kit, flashlight, warning triangle, jumper cables, and two strap. of course I always see it laying about the garage where she took it out haha

In my truck I keep an air compressor, flashlight, first aid kit, warm clothes, extra oil, high lift jack, jack stand, tarp, and extra gloves. Won't leave my tools in there. Of course when hitting the trail or heading out long term I add 42000 lbs of extra crappola :)

Houndoc

My DD truck has tow chain, blanket, extra jacket, gloves, flashlight, couple water bottles. Keep forgetting to replace my jumper cables that some how ended up with the last person I helped.

Plus the really important items: mud boots, basketball shoes, soccer cleats and shin guards, horse halter etc.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
About 5 yrs. ago, we gave 72 hr. kits out for x-mass to all our family.

In it was:

Cheap Leatherman-type tool
2 space blankets
1 man mess kit
1 windup radio/light
1 bic lighter
first aid kit / packed in 1 qt.water bottle
baby wipes
water purification bottle & tablets
salt & pepper (camping type)
glow sticks
carabiners /3 or 4
insect repellant
ibuprofen/asprin/asedomenophen
shampoo/body soap
tooth brushes/paste
small utility knife / blades
cosmetic/ signal mirror
small sewing kit
1 roll electrical tape
50' x 1/4" polly rope
1 10" candle
5 cans potted meat (tuna, salmon, chicken....)
1 sleve salteen crackers
3 pkg. rammen noodles
Emergency preparedness & desaster response guide ( printed from the internet)

Add to that food & clothing for the # of people you are likley to have with you.

Most of this stuff we got at the dollar store, first aid kits came from the Army- Navy store & sample size from the grocery store.

We put it all in some 15x10x10 duffel bags w/side pockets the wife bought on the internet for about 4 bucks each.

We spent under $30 a bag to give out some peace of mind!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have since bought 2 new vehicles and sold 3. (Only a 4 car family now, with 2 drivers..weird)

I am just getting my Ford put together, and thought I would make sure all vehicles get a good once-over on their emergency items.

Our expedition has built in drawers, and the Colorado has a whole tote in the bed dedicated for 'recovery'/emergency.
The power stroke is going to be more difficult, as a flatbed is in its future, making space difficult.

Assuming at least half decent maintenance on the vehicles, what have been your most common experiences with trouble/break down/issues?

I am thinking:
-Flat tire
-Dead battery (usually other people's)
-Slide off road/stuck in snow
-minor car accident...standing around, sitting in car that isn't running (use for blankets,etc)

Tonkaman

Our expedition has built in drawers, and the Colorado has a whole tote in the bed dedicated for 'recovery'/emergency.
The power stroke is going to be more difficult, as a flatbed is in its future, making space difficult.

Better get that flatbed ordered with nice weatherproof storage boxes