Give me advice on getting my truck registered

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
they cant fail you for having a non working heater fan, here is a list of things they DO check
wheel lugs
E-brake
steering/susp components
wipers washers winshield
tint
mirrors
headlights/ high low
signals
tires
horn
fuel system
brakes
other lights
Other (body ect.) which is where flaps and flares fall into

thats taken right off the inspection sheet, dont see heater on there lol

ricsrx

they cant fail you for having a non working heater fan, here is a list of things they DO check
wheel lugs
E-brake
steering/susp components
wipers washers winshield
tint
mirrors
headlights/ high low
signals
tires
horn
fuel system
brakes
other lights
Other (body ect.) which is where flaps and flares fall into

thats taken right off the inspection sheet, dont see heater on there lol

O.K

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
The UHP manual that the stations work from does say "Inspect heater / defrost", but from my quick read it does not say to pass or fail in that situation. But later on it says:

"REJECT when: Defroster fan fails to function or fan functions but a stream of heated air cannot be felt blowing against the proper area of the windshield:

My guess is that a working heater is not a requirement, but a working defrost is required, and since those are typically the same system it will need to be working.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/X2009-2010 SI PLT ManuaL.pdf

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
dont want to seem like a d*ck, just saying thats very odd that they failed you for that, when I really dont think they should have even checked it

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
The UHP manual that the stations work from does say "Inspect heater / defrost", but from my quick read it does not say to pass or fail in that situation. But later on it says:

"REJECT when: Defroster fan fails to function or fan functions but a stream of heated air cannot be felt blowing against the proper area of the windshield:

My guess is that a working heater is not a requirement, but a working defrost is required, and since those are typically the same system it will need to be working.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/X2009-2010 SI PLT ManuaL.pdf

Interesting, the place I take our fleet and personal vehicles to never check the heater, and talked to a friend that does safety and emissions in Davis County and he doesnt check that either, so maybe its something some of only the stricter joints check

ozzy702

I have a "2nd residence" up north where there are no emissions requirements. A friend of mine up there drives a complete POS that's falling apart and he passed inspection so I might register up there. :D

Last edited:

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
I have a "2nd residence" up north where there are no emissions requirements. A friend of mine up there drives a complete POS that's falling apart and he passed emissions so I might register up there. :D
If there are no emissions up there, then why did he have to pass emissions? lol ;)

you probably meant safety....?

Toad

They are supposed to check speedo operation? Oops looks like in the 6 years of doing SI"s I missed that one. I have told people just to get a GPS instead of a speedo when they go bad.

Chevycrew

Take the 201 west, (2100 south) till the 7200 west exit, turn right, then right, follow the frontage road back east. The yard there had a bunch of 2nd gen runners a week ago. I dont remember the name.

I cant believe you get hassled, they leave me alone with flaps and flares... (in the crew cab)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The funny thing about this thread is that I can see some UHP guys coming across it and having a cow about it... when at any given moment there's probably $100k + of your drug of choice being trafficked up and down the valley at any moment. But hey, priorities are priorities right?

It was annoying getting hassled even in our XJ that had 35" tires. The tires stuck out of the flares a whole 0.25 inches, but that is DANGEROUS. :rolleyes:

Like I said, good luck. I love to rant about this subject.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
My last safety inspector, just two weeks ago, told me he was looking the other way on my wheel spacers. I told him no need, since they are wheel adapters. We didn't argue about it, but he said he'd go reread that section to see if that was the case and that he trusted me.

I don't think that this has changed since 2007
UT Safety Inspection Manual - 2007
F. WHEELS
1. Check wheels for damage and proper mounting.
a. REJECT when:
1) Wheel bolts, nuts, studs or lugs are loose or missing.
2) Wheels are bent, cracked, re-welded or have elongated
bolt holes.
3) Spacers are used to increase the wheel track width.
4) Bead lock wheels are installed.
*NOTE: Custom wheel adapters are not spacers.

OREGON85

from OREGON
Hey Eric, welcome to Utah. What brings you to Sandy? We should go wheeling sometime.

I have a number of visible violations, like my tires stick out about 3 inches and my bumper isn't 4" wide all the way across, but with good mud flaps I've haven't been hassled.

ozzy702

I moved up to Sandy to take a job with a college buddy of mine. I do IT for the Canyons School District.

I'm down for wheeling as soon as I get my rig registered. I took a four hour detour on the way back from Vegas this weekend so I could go on the maiden voyage of my buddy David's jeep. I did all the work to it and was pleased to see it well despite the rock hard SX's that need to be grooved and broken in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLon1po12PU

ozzy702

Ok, so I'm going to borrow my buddies set of 31's to register. I have a new reservoir for the window washer fluid and other than that I think it should be legal but I figured I'd ask here.

Do the inspections places have a problem with suspension modifications? Does UT have any rules regarding bumpers or frame modifications? I'm getting ready to do a flat/tube bed on it but want to make sure I'm legal. I'll be incorporating some kind of cheesy removable fender flares and mud flaps into it.

Also, does the height restriction apply to the bottom of my crossmember or to the bottom of the frame? Thanks for the help guys!!!

stimmie

Just go read the Safety Manual yourself and see what the requirements are. Take a copy with you if you get hassled for something you think should pass. On your frame height requirement, it does say that under 4500 lbs GVWR is 24". But it also says that if the door certification plate is missing then is should be considered to be 4500 lbs. So that would move you up to the 26" bracket.

ozzy702

Ok, hoping that I have everything in order for the truck. Going to borrow some buddies 31's just to insure that I don't get dinged for fender flairs (I have mud flaps).

Can anyone suggest an inspection only place up near Willard (where my truck is now) or at least a shop that will do inspections but not try to force me to have them make unnecessary repairs. The truck drives great and is mechanically sound, albeit fairly modified for a street driven vehicle.