good, cheap sunglasses... do they exist?

sixstringsteve

I Am a fan of my oakleys so comfy to wear and they really are the most durable glasses I have ever owned I'm on my 2nd pair of oakleys and been wearing them for four years now

I have some oakleys right now. They're comfortable and I love them, but my last pair (batwolfs) blew off my face in Moab last memorial day and the frames cracked instantly. I realize that sunglasses aren't meant to fall 5 feet to the ground on pavement, but I've never had a pair of cheapies break from their first fall to the ground. I was pretty disappointed. I had to go through quite the appeal process to get them to warranty the frames, but eventually they did. I still love the fit and feel of mine, but I don't feel that they're any stronger/durable than any other brand. In fact, I think they're weaker. Plus I have a hard time keeping them in good shape, so I only end up wearing them driving so I don't mess them up any other way.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I lost my oil rigs off my face at almost 160mph on my R6 I flipped around picke them up and still rock them everyday. Best glasses ever

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Not cheap, but local, super durable and lifetime warranty.

Smith's. I have the polarized Shelter. I've also had the photochromatic pair. I'm on my 3rd pair, they have all be replaced for free and for non-functionality issues.

Caleb

I know they're not cheap but I could get a group buy of Oakley, smith, or ryders if we could get enough interest. I've liked all 3 but ryders are the cheapest.

I'd probably be game for that. I've always had Oakley, Smith, or Anarchy...I like the Oakley glasses the best.

skeptic

I wear the Edge safety glass sunglasses. Found in most lumber stores. about 25 bucks and they last awhile. Tons of different styles to.

I dont think you will find anything better for cheaper

I went through this "tired of buying $200+ sunglasses then losing/breaking them" and decided to find a cheaper solution. My requirements were polarized safety sunglasses with a decently clear lense. After a couple recommendations for Edge and reading some reviews I ordered a pair. I was a bit apprehensive about buying something online without trying them on first, seeing how they fit, if they are comfortable, etc. but at under $30 I gave it a shot. I'm sold, they fit great, good clear lense, good polarization (I've had cheap glasses where the polarization wasn't exactly the same on each eye and those go straight to the trash). Probably not $300 glasses clear, but pretty close and being ANSI certified safety glasses I feel confident using them at the range.

To top it all off, I don't feel guilty cleaning them on my shirt where my expensive ones I'd carry and only use one of those special cloths designed for glasses. For sunglasses that are going to be used and abused outdoors I think it's pretty hard to beat something like a $25 pair of Edge polarized safety glasses.

edit: ok, maybe I was wrong on the price, I may have paid more like $35 for these (still hard to beat): http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/tsdk216.html

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The best lenses I've ever seen were in a pair of maui Jim Typhoons (amber, polarized, and Leica-Quality glass optics) , but at $300 a pair, not for me..

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had the batwolfs as well. They were my favorite while they lasted.... I now have about 6 pairs of these: http://www.zumiez.com/accessories/sunglasses/jack-martin-the-perpetrator-matte-black-sunglasses.html

More durable than the batwolf and way cheaper. I love these glasses! You can usually find them at any zumiez, but sometimes you have to order online.

I ordered a couple pair of those from Zumiez and I like them! For being cheap glasses, they seem pretty solid! Thanks for sharing!

sixstringsteve

I tried some of the HD safety glasses. They're ok, but I'm trying to do better for the price. Just ordered some from Zumiez. I'll report back when they come in.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
If you have a friend that works at the Bingham Copper Mine have them get you a pair of their Rio Tinto safety sun glasses. They are very good and seem to last. Do not know who makes them but they have the name Ztek on one of the arms.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I ordered a couple pair of those from Zumiez and I like them! For being cheap glasses, they seem pretty solid! Thanks for sharing!

Good to hear! I love how good they feel, and not being too worried about scratches. I'm a big fan!