Jeep Gregs Willys CJ2a, rusto-mod version

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Some pics of the Buick Oddfire V6 and a side by side comparison with the JKU... with 64 years between the 2! Only some minor changes... :eek: :rofl:

20161104_145844-1478353246450-XL.jpg

20161104_175750-XL.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That little Buick should have at least twice the HP of the original 4 cyl

Oh, and "marnbryson" says she is in for assisting with the killing of you :D She would like to extend her sympathetic apology to Catherine. (response to above comparison photo from "marnbryson"---He couldn't fit in that! His knees would be in his mouth:rofl: )

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I had a 43 MB that had the 231 oddfire and the t90 but it had the dana 20 tcase... loved it! with me sitting in the driver seat it weighted only 2200 lbs.
It had the same axles but instead of 5.38 it had 4.88. should never have gave it away!

KWight

CoolJeepWithElk.jpg
Congratulations Greg! Here is a picture of my cousin's Jeep to give you some ideas. His is pretty much stock but he still uses it every year to go hunting in the Bookcliff Mountains between here and Green River.

Bart

Dang Greg, I'm impressed. I looked all over for those when I had the Ranger buggy to do a rebuild and transplant. Never could find the deals you're coming up with.

Greg

Admin
That little Buick should have at least twice the HP of the original 4 cyl

Oh, and "marnbryson" says she is in for assisting with the killing of you :D She would like to extend her sympathetic apology to Catherine. (response to above comparison photo from "marnbryson"---He couldn't fit in that! His knees would be in his mouth:rofl: )

:rofl: It's a tight fit for me at 6' 4"! Working the pedals can be a bit... interesting. I'm hoping I can run less foam for the seat back and fit a little better... may move the seats back some by hacking into the wheel well.

I had a 43 MB that had the 231 oddfire and the t90 but it had the dana 20 tcase... loved it! with me sitting in the driver seat it weighted only 2200 lbs.
It had the same axles but instead of 5.38 it had 4.88. should never have gave it away!

Ohhh boy John!! I bet you're kicking yourself for that!!

View attachment 107145
Congratulations Greg! Here is a picture of my cousin's Jeep to give you some ideas. His is pretty much stock but he still uses it every year to go hunting in the Bookcliff Mountains between here and Green River.

That is too cool Kevin!! And that Elk, the rack takes up most of the Willys!! :freak: Awesome that he's still putting it to work in the hills, hunting!

Dang Greg, I'm impressed. I looked all over for those when I had the Ranger buggy to do a rebuild and transplant. Never could find the deals you're coming up with.

I need to quit finding them! :ugh: ;) But they're such good deals, it's hard to pass up!!

Cool! That side by side pic rules.

Crazy, huh? Puts things into perspective, the size difference is amazing!

The original L134 engine can make around 60 hp when it's running right. That Oddfire should go about 160 hp. Should be fun.

160 HP and 2,200 pounds will SCOOT!

You know a CJ2a will sit nicely on a Samurai Frame.

Yeah, but that's sacrilege... like putting Toyota axles under a Flatty.... and who would do that?! :eek: I have 2 good frames with springs and axles... may as well keep them. ;)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My willys has a buick 231. I love that car. I should get it running again :(

If you need any parts I have a full chassis with axles and another set of axles here in my yard :)

Greg

Admin
My willys has a buick 231. I love that car. I should get it running again :(

If you need any parts I have a full chassis with axles and another set of axles here in my yard :)

I'm with Carl, yeah you should get it running! I remember seeing that thing YEARS ago, like right after you joined RME. I came over to look at something you had for sale.... a trailer??!

Yes, you should.

That's a coincidence...Greg has a Willys tub, with no frame or axles! :greg:

Actually, my spare parts will consist of a rolling chassis (good frame, suspension and axles) with a tub, fenders and without an engine, trans & case!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm with Carl, yeah you should get it running! I remember seeing that thing YEARS ago, like right after you joined RME. I came over to look at something you had for sale.... a trailer??!

Actually, my spare parts will consist of a rolling chassis (good frame, suspension and axles) with a tub, fenders and without an engine, trans & case!

if there's a lonely handbrake handle/assembly that is orphaned, I'd LOVE one

Greg

Admin
Worked on the brakes some more today, now 3 out of 4 are working. The drivers rear doesn't do anything, it bleed fine but no brakes. I'll pull the drums at some point and see what's going on. Since I'm driving it, I figured I'd better check the rear gear oil.... it was a little low and a little nasty, so I topped it off. I'll change it out later on. Also greased a bunch of the zerks, surprisingly they all took grease. I also cleaned up the rear axle and backing plates, they both had almost 70 yrs of oil & dirt built up and it was nasty... much of the rest of the drivetrain has a 1/2" layer of this nastyness. Also found the diff tag, it says the CJ2a has 5.38's Not much of a surprise there.

20161112_154418-L.jpg

Sitting in this thing isn't great for me, my right foot gets all crampy after about 30 seconds and it's hard to press the throttle and brake.... so I pulled the foam off the back of the seat and it made a huge difference. I'll probably reupholster the seats and use 1/2" thick foam for the back and 3 to 4" foam for the seat bottoms.

20161112_151153-1478997143453-L.jpg

KWight

It sounds like we have been living parallel lives. I have been fixing up my Landcruiser and you have been fixing your Flattie. Do you have a pressure washer to clean the undercarriage off with? If not, you are welcome to mine.