Jeep Gregs Willys CJ2a, rusto-mod version

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It sounds like we have been living parallel lives. I have been fixing up my Landcruiser and you have been fixing your Flattie. Do you have a pressure washer to clean the undercarriage off with? If not, you are welcome to mine.

I don't have a pressure washer, but I think I'll need something very powerful to cut this crud.... scraping it seems to work. I'll let you know if I do need it, thank for the offer Kevin!

Those are neat, I'd have to buy 16" wheels... would rather keep my 15's. If I could find some 30x9.50x15 BFG Muds I'd be happy.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Awe crap. Stupid summit. Just Google "Coker mud tire" and you'll find it. They have lots of sizes and styles, and are surprisingly affordable.

Greg

Admin
Since it's Winter and I have some downtime, I decided it was time to address the seats. They were BAD, lots of sun damage and itchy insulation that would get into your pants... and then there was the half-assed fix with duct tape! I ordered a couple pieces of 3" foam and some Tan colored Duck Canvas with a waterproof backing. I don't claim to be a upholsterer, but tried my best. I figured the end result would be MUCH better than what it was, so I jumped right in.

I tore apart the passenger seat, dumping all but the frame and seat pan in the trash. The pans were rusted out more than I expected, much of the structural support was gone... but I didn't have replacement pans, so I went ahead with what I had.

I cut my foam pieces to size with my electric knife, then carefully began covering them. I moved on to the back of the seat, using carpet padding that I doubled up. It's now about 1/2" thick, much less than the 4" foam that I believe is stock. Using less foam for the back means I have more distance between my back and my feet on the pedals. I mentioned this previously and it makes a huge difference with my lanky 6' 4" body. The work went pretty quickly once I had all my needed materials and hardware.

20170108_145305-L.jpg

20170108_150802-1484009290121-L.jpg

20170108_150001-L.jpg

20170108_151136-1484009290302-L.jpg

20170108_181741-XL.jpg

20170108_170214-1484009290755-XL.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the end result, I should have rounded the corners of the bottom cushion. As I reassembled the drivers side, the pan was even more rotted... so I went ahead and ordered reproduction seat pans for $60/ea. Once the new pans get here, I'll pull the seat bottoms, replace the pans and round the bottom foam. The material isn't perfect around the edges, but it's good enough for me.

20170109_170806-1484009291494-L.jpg

20170109_171148-L.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with the end result! :D It's far from perfect, but it's something I did on my own and it's a custom job that makes driving this thing more comfortable! I also have enough material left over to build a custom bikini top with the Duck Canvas, so it'll be great to have a matching top!

Greg

Admin
Nice job. That yellow is just awesome!

I'm digging the color, too!

I would rock this jeep as is

Yeah, I think I've had a change of heart about swapping the other body tub onto this one. I think for the most part I'm just going to leave this one as it is, fix the brakes, do a tune-up and put a better set of tires on it and just drive it. I'll make sure all the fluids are changed and make sure it's running and driving well and leave it as is. It has so much character how it is, just need to make it somewhat reliable and safe to drive.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm digging the color, too!

Yeah, I think I've had a change of heart about swapping the other body tub onto this one. I think for the most part I'm just going to leave this one as it is, fix the brakes, do a tune-up and put a better set of tires on it and just drive it. I'll make sure all the fluids are changed and make sure it's running and driving well and leave it as is. It has so much character how it is, just need to make it somewhat reliable and safe to drive.

I 100% support this plan.

Greg

Admin
Big improvement and like you said, it's for more comfort. Well done.

I dig the simple replacement seats! Looks great! New pans will be nice for sure.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to a little more comfort when this thing is officially on the road!

I 100% support this plan.

I think it's best, the rust holes just add character! :greg:

Man I love this thing Greg!

Me too Wade, it's fun to work on and really fun to drive! Hopefully once it warms up again, I'll be able to put some miles on it and even get it offroad!

smfulle

Greg,
I love that you are treating this flatty with some respect for what it is. I think it is beautiful. And there really is a special kind of buzz when you pull up in your 70 year old rig next to some $90,000 modern monster and you arrived there over the same trail and they ask you how you got there with shock in their faces.

Greg

Admin
It'd be a blast to do a vintage iron run in Moab in the spring. I'd totally bring my A1 down and rock that sucker. It hasn't been to Moab in probably 7 years?

I love the idea, need to make sure my 2a is proven and ready before the trip! Lets keep it in mind... :D

Greg,
I love that you are treating this flatty with some respect for what it is. I think it is beautiful. And there really is a special kind of buzz when you pull up in your 70 year old rig next to some $90,000 modern monster and you arrived there over the same trail and they ask you how you got there with shock in their faces.

Hey Stan, I love the old-school, run-what-you-brung aspect of this thing! Everything about it is too fun, I love the white wheels, Yellow paint and even the massive pipe roll bar! Some decent tires and good brakes and it'll be perfect!

A few weeks ago I was watching Leno's Garage and they were looking at a old Super Bird that had been in storage in the deep South for years. It was in horrible shape, but they talked about how a car is only in original condition ONCE, making it more valuable than a fully restored car. You can restore a vehicle over and over, but it will only be original one time. That thought really stuck with me and this '47.... made me rethink me plan and I'm glad it did!

Greg

Admin
Doing a little maintenance & repair, decided that the Rochester 2 Jet 2G carb was nasty so I pulled it off, broke it down and soaked it in my favorite carb cleaning solution, a 50/50 mix of Pine Sol and water. Whats awesome about this cleaning method is that it's safe for all rubber o-rings, gaskets, brass, plastic, etc.... anything you'd find in a carb. Plus it's environmentally friendly... safe for your hands (unlike solvent or carb cleaner) and you can pour it down the drain or in the yard when you're done!

I let it soak for a few days, then took a brush to the leftover gunk. After it was cleaned up, I blew out the passages with compressed air and finally cleaned it off with carb cleaner and reassembled it with a couple new gaskets.

20170113_161344-L.jpg

20170113_163431-L.jpg

20170113_163630-L.jpg

And after Pine Sol and cleaning!

20170120_131031-L.jpg

20170120_144809-L.jpg

20170120_151852-L.jpg

I also bought a new set of spark plugs, plus fresh oil and a oil filter.

20170113_144005-L.jpg

Once the carb was back on and the plugs were in, I fired it up and it ran great... plus the carb wasn't leaking fuel, so that's a good sign! :D