• Titanium

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Vulcan

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Alright everyone. I need your help.

Do to the unfortunate benefit of my job, I am severely unfamiliar with cheap welders. You hand me a $10k machine and I can dial in every setting on every process and shine. When confronted with the decision as to which Welder to purchase that is actually within my price range I'm at a lost.

I am having more and more side job opportunities come up and I need to have something that can weld thicker than 1/8". Also due to space requirements I don't want multiple machines, one for each process, which is preferable. So I need a decent multiprocess welder that I can relatively rely on.

Research and some word of mouth has led me to Harbor Freight. Specifically between:

Titanium UNLIMITED 200 Professional Multiprocess Welder with 120/240V Input $800​

OR

Vulcan OMNIPRO 220 Industrial Multiprocess Welder with 120/240V Input $1050​

Main differences I'm seeing are the Duty Cycles.

Anything else? Anybody have any experience with either of these machines, or have a better suggestion?

J-mobzz

I have the green one in the 140 version. It’s been great. I’ve had a Miller in the same size and a Hobart in the same size and this machine welds every bit as good as those in my opinion..

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Multi process makes me nervous, because if you have a problem with the machine, all of your welding capability is gone. That being said, keep your little MIG in the basement for just that reason. You can at least tack something together in a pinch.

Between these two welders, I’d go with the highest duty cycle.

The_Lobbster

My brother has a titanium, and it welds awesome. I agree with above, I wouldn’t go with a multiprocess.

Only drawbacks to these machines is you can’t find parts for them if they break, you got to replace the machine.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
My brother has a titanium, and it welds awesome. I agree with above, I wouldn’t go with a multiprocess.

Only drawbacks to these machines is you can’t find parts for them if they break, you got to replace the machine.
Most of the machines I've worked with are Multi Process. Now I do agree with the mindset that purpose built machines are almost always better. Especially when it comes to TIG.
But from my experience I really don't have a problem with the multi process machines unless you are a single purpose welder or require very high duty cycles.

Multi process makes me nervous, because if you have a problem with the machine, all of your welding capability is gone. That being said, keep your little MIG in the basement for just that reason. You can at least tack something together in a pinch.

Between these two welders, I’d go with the highest duty cycle.
I really struggle with limiting myself to the single process. I've had several opportunities that I've had to turn down because I didn't have a stick welder, or tig welder.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
When looking for an AC/DC Tig, This is one time I didn't skip the warranty at Harbor Freight..my thought was: I'm fine swapping a unit directly versus waiting for repair like I would with a red or blue unit. That said I've never had issue with my millermatic 210 in 13 years. But that was long before multiprocess machines existed in any significance.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do you have a MIG machine now?

I don't have a multiprocess machine, but when I looked at them I didn't like some aspects....so I'd vote to get a dedicated TIG, which will give you much better capabilities on the tig side as well as stick welding, then a separate MIG machine.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
After the trouble I've had both with my ESAB Rebel and Hobart Multi-Handler 200 (both shutting down mid-weld and not turning back on), I'm about to pull the trigger on the HF MIGMax 215. My Hobart is down for repair and won't even get looked at for another month and I need a good 220v MIG welder ASAP.

I've read a lot of the reviews about the MIGMax 215 and the downside seems to be the fan runs constantly and the low duty cycle. But for a hobby welder, it sounds like a very capable machine. HF really seems to be building quality welders these days, some of the reviews compare the MIGMax to the name brand machines (Lincoln, Miller) and mention that the HF welder has some features the name brand machines don't have. I'm interested in adding a aluminum spool gun, so I can easily weld AL.

I did pick up a dedicated HF Vulcan Pro TIG 205 and so far (which isn't much) it seems to be a very capable machine... I'm not capable, but trying!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When looking for an AC/DC Tig, This is one time I didn't skip the warranty at Harbor Freight..my thought was: I'm fine swapping a unit directly versus waiting for repair like I would with a red or blue unit. That said I've never had issue with my millermatic 210 in 13 years. But that was long before multiprocess machines existed in any significance.
I severely miss my MM210. Miller was on top of the game when those were produced.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
After the trouble I've had both with my ESAB Rebel and Hobart Multi-Handler 200 (both shutting down mid-weld and not turning back on), I'm about to pull the trigger on the HF Omnipro 220. My Hobart is down for repair and won't even get looked at for another month and I need a good 220v MIG welder ASAP.

I've read a lot of the reviews about the Omnipro and the downside seems to be the fan runs constantly and the low duty cycle. But for a hobby welder, it sounds like a very capable machine. HF really seems to be building quality welders these days, some of the reviews compare the Omnipro to the name brand machines (Lincoln, Miller) and mention that the HF welder has some features the name brand machines don't have. I'm interested in adding a aluminum spool gun to the Omnipro, so I can easily weld AL.

I did pick up a dedicated HF Vulcan Pro TIG 205 and so far (which isn't much) it seems to be a very capable machine... I'm not capable, but trying!
It sucks that your experience with Hobart ended this way, as I’ve loved my Hobart 230 (but not as much as my MM210). That being said, the Hobart 187 seems to have much better longevity and reviews. Your experience just solidified my feelings about a multi machine, but I’m severely bugged that you have to suffer with it.

Greg

Admin
It sucks that your experience with Hobart ended this way, as I’ve loved my Hobart 230 (but not as much as my MM210). That being said, the Hobart 187 seems to have much better longevity and reviews. Your experience just solidified my feelings about a multi machine, but I’m severely bugged that you have to suffer with it.

We will see what it needs far as the repair, now that I have a dedicated TIG I may sell the Hobart MultiHandler once it's good to go. My neighbor may have a older, big box Miller 220 for sale for a good deal. I don't know which model it is, but he says it's a great machine.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We will see what it needs far as the repair, now that I have a dedicated TIG I may sell the Hobart MultiHandler once it's good to go. My neighbor may have a older, big box Miller 220 for sale for a good deal. I don't know which model it is, but he says it's a great machine.
keep me in the loop on that Miller. They can be a huge upgrade for you that you’ll never have to mess with again. There were a couple models that had problems, though. The big box models use to be the top of the game, though.

Greg

Admin
keep me in the loop on that Miller. They can be a huge upgrade for you that you’ll never have to mess with again. There were a couple models that had problems, though. The big box models use to be the top of the game, though.

Yeah, if it's what my neighbor claims it's worth getting! I really need to figure out what model and year it is.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
After the trouble I've had both with my ESAB Rebel and Hobart Multi-Handler 200 (both shutting down mid-weld and not turning back on), I'm about to pull the trigger on the HF MIGMax 215. My Hobart is down for repair and won't even get looked at for another month and I need a good 220v MIG welder ASAP.

I've read a lot of the reviews about the MIGMax 215 and the downside seems to be the fan runs constantly and the low duty cycle. But for a hobby welder, it sounds like a very capable machine. HF really seems to be building quality welders these days, some of the reviews compare the MIGMax to the name brand machines (Lincoln, Miller) and mention that the HF welder has some features the name brand machines don't have. I'm interested in adding a aluminum spool gun, so I can easily weld AL.

Understandable, like I said, I have very little experience with small/cheaper machines. My work runs exclusively Miller, and they are almost all multi process machines that never have issues. But these are heavy duty machines, some of which have 100% duty cycles at 34 Volts and 400 Amps and all step into the $10k+ range.

Do you have a MIG machine now?

I don't have a multiprocess machine, but when I looked at them I didn't like some aspects....so I'd vote to get a dedicated TIG, which will give you much better capabilities on the tig side as well as stick welding, then a separate MIG machine.

I do but it's the little Lincoln weldpak 100. So it's great for real small time stuff, but 1/8" material is a stretch to fuse with it. So anything heavier is an absolute no go.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Does anybody have any experience with the Vulcan MIG? I want something simple to have in the shop. It would probably get used a few times a year, so I am looking for something that does a decent job. With their 25% off today on the Inside Track, it would drop it down to $700

Greg

Admin
Does anybody have any experience with the Vulcan MIG? I want something simple to have in the shop. It would probably get used a few times a year, so I am looking for something that does a decent job. With their 25% off today on the Inside Track, it would drop it down to $700

That's the one I've been looking at as a temporary replacement, where are you seeing the 25% off for Inside Track members? I believe welders are excluded from their generic sale.