Helldorado, Strike Ravine... its getting ugly!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
EZRhino said:
Edit: Did everyone see the great article in the current issue of U4's Signpost about the Helldorado Closure by Dirt Squirrel?

Nope... where can I get a copy? (Not a current U4WDA Member... :eek: )

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
cruiseroutfit said:
I have some potentially good news about Upper, I am going to contact Jeff Stevens @ RR4W asap... :D

If you want to contact Jeff, that's great. But I don't see how that is good news about Upper. :confused:

:-\ Yes, that was a lame joke.

I'm also anxious to hear any good news about this. Lower Helldorado is one of my favorite trails and I'm very glad to hear that San Juan County is on our side.

Caleb

cruiseroutfit said:
Amazingly, it sheds a better light on us than does Deseret News (which is usually the opposite)...

Funny even their lawyer thinks they will lose the Strike Ravine case, but Lower is a different story... :(

yeah, I noticed that too...its funny to hear an attorney admit they will (not may, will) loose if they can show proof:D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
supergper said:
yeah, I noticed that too...its funny to hear an attorney admit they will (not may, will) loose if they can show proof:D

well at least it is a direction in our favor :cool:

it is hard to believe they didn't just buy that property, with the sole intension of just closing down the trails.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Hopefully SITLA is watching this closely. Maybe they'll determine that they want to avoid this same situation on the parcel that has Upper on it.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
The court ruled pretty much as we expected today. The Strike Ravine trail is to remain open for now, but the landowners will be allowed to close Lower Helldorado. San Juan County is claiming both trails. I'm sure there will be more legal battles, and the ultimate outcome remains to be seen. As we suspected, unless we can prove that Lower Helldorado was a road prior to 1992, there seems to be little chance of saving it.

Jeff

Caleb

drtsqrl said:
The court ruled pretty much as we expected today. The Strike Ravine trail is to remain open for now, but the landowners will be allowed to close Lower Helldorado. San Juan County is claiming both trails. I'm sure there will be more legal battles, and the ultimate outcome remains to be seen. As we suspected, unless we can prove that Lower Helldorado was a road prior to 1992, there seems to be little chance of saving it.

Jeff

thanks for the info...bummer about Lower, but cool about Strikes Ravine...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
drtsqrl said:

Jeff

1/2 and 1/2.

well its better then total defeat :)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have real mixed feelings about the whole thing I hate to see trails closed but at the same time I beleive one of the most precious rights we have is to be secure in our private property.
I have a question. Why are the owners of the land at the begining of pritchet canyon able to close the right of way to people that don't pay them? It has a much longer history than Strike Ravine it is even a County road. You can say it is not closed but in effect you travel through the right of way at their pleasure. The same could be said of the old way out of Hells revenge through the Lions Back campground below the Lions Back. This was the established way used as a Jeep Safari trail long befor 92.

muleskinner

bobdog said:
I have real mixed feelings about the whole thing I hate to see trails closed but at the same time I beleive one of the most precious rights we have is to be secure in our private property.
I have a question. Why are the owners of the land at the begining of pritchet canyon able to close the right of way to people that don't pay them? It has a much longer history than Strike Ravine it is even a County road. You can say it is not closed but in effect you travel through the right of way at their pleasure. The same could be said of the old way out of Hells revenge through the Lions Back campground below the Lions Back. This was the established way used as a Jeep Safari trail long befor 92.

Good point.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I've felt that way about Pritchett ever since the current owner decided to start charging to cross the property, as I recall it's been about 15 years now. It was a county right of way for at least 50 years before that & no one even dreamed of charging money to drive across the 100 yards or so on the private property. I'm not sure but I think the property changed owners about that time. But I refuse to pay the trespass fee, so haven't been up Pritchett Canyon in at least 20 years.

Hell's Revenge was re-routed off the property that is now the campground about the time that property passed from state ownership to private. So that was an even trade, but the campground has charged a fee to cross their property to access Lion's Back in the past. It appears that they are not allowing access any longer, but that seems to change back & forth a lot. Grand County is taking a very active role in controlling the lower Sand Flats area this year & I heard that they asked the campground to not allow access to Lion's Back, but again that could be incorrect.