Help me decide I want a mid-size SUV

boogie_4wheel

It may not fit all your requirements but a Hyundai Santa Fe is pretty close. We push 24mpg on the highway with ours with the V6. It's AWD though, front wheel drive unless the ESC kicks in or you lock it in AWD. Great Power, great MPG and very roomy and comfortable. I never thought I would love a Hyundai until I bought this car. Haven't taken it off road really but I honestly think it would do fairly well with it's decent ground clearance.

Good call. I had a rental Sante Fe in September; Albuquerque to South of Roswell. 4-banger awd, I think it was the shorter sport model. It wasn't lightening fast, but would easily outrun my old V6 Escape. It climbed hills quite well, I felt the interior to be comfortable, and I really enjoyed it overall. Running 70-75mph I want to say I got a solid 30mpg in it. The 'Eco-Mode' button felt like it did nothing more than make the accelerator pedal lazy so that it wasn't as responsive. There was a Center-Diff Lock button on the dash. Not a true lock to 50/50 split, there was still some slip; it wouldn't bark tires going around a corner unless you got a little weight off of one of them but it did make the steering much heavier.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Thanks again. Just got back from the Auto Show Sat. and like the new Jeep Patriot for its retro look, they no longer make the Liberty. Looked at Toyota Highlander and liked it. Also liked the RAV 4 and KIA, Hyundai, and believe it or not the Buick look a likes.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Thanks for showing me this site. It gave the best comparisons I have seen. I am now leaning towards the KIA Sedona minivan. I like the fact that it has AWD, lower price than some, 10/100,000 guarantee, fair gas mileage, reclining 2nd row seats and I would try to put one in the passenger front for the wife. Thanks to everyone, we are still looking.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Well I am back hopefully for good. I have just about decided on a 2011 or newer Grand Cherokee but I like the Cherokee and what Turbo had to say about the Liberty but they have stopped making it. I will stay with Jeep or Dodge whatever happens.

Redx

I would say a 4Runner with KDSS if you are looking for ride quality on the road. They hold value quite well and have low range. We have a Highlander and a 4Runner and love them both. The Highlander does great on easy trails but does not have the clearance or low range. My friend has a Cherokee Trail Hawk and loves it but he rarely sees any dirt in it despite the capabilities it is supposed to have and says the aftermarket selection is very limited.
I had a Ford Edge that did ok on easy trails and a Nissan X-Terra that did great but seemed underpowered, although you can find them supercharged.
The Escape my dad had was good but not much in the way of cargo room if you are planning on camping with it.
I think that's all I have right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have the Jeep Cherokee, see other post, and in the market again because of the jeep transmission.

I will (again) suggest either a 2014+ Subaru Forester or a 2015+ Subaru Outback. Either vehicle will match or beat the Cherokee on cargo room, passenger room and fuel economy, while also being able to handle the off-pavement driving you want to do. I know I sound biased--especially because I am sitting in a Subaru showroom as I type this--but I genuinely cannot think of a better vehicle to meet your specific needs.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you are looking at used, look again at the Grand Cherokee. We sold our first 2011 a couple years ago. We just recently picked up a clean 2014 Grand Cherokee because we missed that 2011 so much.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I will (again) suggest either a 2014+ Subaru Forester or a 2015+ Subaru Outback. Either vehicle will match or beat the Cherokee on cargo room, passenger room and fuel economy, while also being able to handle the off-pavement driving you want to do. I know I sound biased--especially because I am sitting in a Subaru showroom as I type this--but I genuinely cannot think of a better vehicle to meet your specific needs.

Do they still make the Legacy? ;)
[video]https://youtu.be/DslXqIfWigs[/video]

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
As I learn the idiosyncrasies of the Cherokee I really love to drive it. Besides the 22.8 city and 32.8 highway it is just fun to drive. Have only been on sand and a dirt road but I think it will do well off road except for clearance. I am just getting used to the manual shifter but it really helps on down hill driving. We are now looking for something larger with a v6 for long trips and possible camping.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Have you looked into the Liberty. My wife has the 2nd gen model (KK).
What sold us on that was the suspension. We test drove one at a DS in Tooele. Cruising along this road at about 60 mph when we hit a big bump in the road. When it came down I thought the it was going to bottom out hard. Surprisingly it was a really soft landing.
Took my stock XJ (at that time) back to that spot and hit the bumpstops hard.
A few weeks later she picked up a nice inferno red KK jeep.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Bart

Dempsey is by far the expert, but I looked at both a lot. The Outback is much larger and the Forester is more narrow, and has more ground clearance.