Help me decide I want a mid-size SUV

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I am looking for a mid-size SUV with a V-6. So far I like the Jeep Cherokee, Nissan Murano, and Toyota 4 Runner. 2011 or newer, below $25 K. I have a preference for Jeep and Dodge vehicles. No rough four wheeling just exploring and mild trails like the Honey Moon trail in St George.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
As a Toyota fanboy, I would say 4runner. I'm sold on the historic low costs of repairs if you keep it, and the high re-sale if you don't. Without having any experience with the other two, I can only add that I love the looks of the grand cherokees, so I would go that way over the Nissan :)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We've had a Grand Cherokee (a 2011) and are considering getting another, but may possibly get a 4runner instead. I loved our Grand Cherokee a lot, it was a road trippin machine! Ours was a Limited with low range t-case. It didn't have a ton of clearance though.

If I had to choose between 4runner and Grand Cherokee with the knowledge I would for sure see light trail duty, I would go with the 4runner just for ground clearance and availability of good aftermarket bumpers.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I would want low range just because I always have had it. So far it looks like 4runner over the Grand Cherokee. I like the looks of the new Cherokee. Will have to go drive them all now.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
More carish than the 4Runner but probably similar to the current grand cherokee. I wouldn't look past the new explorer either, the 2.7 ecoboost makes those a fun little rocket to drive

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
If you are going to use it off-road get a Jeep. Pay a little more and have something designed to go off-road.

Or get yourself a Land Rover LR3. They are very reliable compared to the old stuff. Lots of room, really comfortable. Electric Rear Lockers, Awesome Traction control, great horsepower, and air suspension as well as terrain response. My fried took his nearly stock one up Poison Spider in Moab without an issue.

They can be had pretty cheap as well.

Bart

Do some research on the transmissions of the new Cherokee before looking. They have had lots of problems with them.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If you are going to use it off-road get a Jeep. Pay a little more and have something designed to go off-road.

Or get yourself a Land Rover LR3. They are very reliable compared to the old stuff. Lots of room, really comfortable. Electric Rear Lockers, Awesome Traction control, great horsepower, and air suspension as well as terrain response. My fried took his nearly stock one up Poison Spider in Moab without an issue.

They can be had pretty cheap as well.

I'd take a 4runner offroad long before I would take a new Cherokee if that's what you're getting at. I would also take the Toyota over the Jeep for reliability. I'd take the LR3 over the Jeep, sorry I'd probably take a Kia over the Jeep with some of my recent experiences. :handlebars:

Houndoc

I my own SUV search, I have become excited about Xterras. For the price seem like one of the best choices. Your budget is significantly higher than what I want to spend, but I think you could get you a great Xterra and have cash left over.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Isn't that true of most Chrysler products?

Some, yes; others, not at all.

The new Cherokee uses the FWD-based 9-spd automatic. While this transmission hasn't exactly seen mechanical issues, in some vehicles it has been plagued with software problems--shifting funny, maybe not wanting to shift at all, etc. To their credit, Chrysler keeps massaging the software and continually offers updates... which can be hit-or-miss in their effectiveness. Matt Hornback has had nothing but trouble with his Cherokee's transmission behavior, yet I have other customers who have not lodged a single complaint with theirs. It's very frustrating.

The Grand Cherokee uses RWD-based transmissions that have nothing in common with the FWD unit in the smaller Cherokee. Indeed, the newish 8-spd automatic (which is also used in Ram trucks and the 300/Charger/Challenger) has been rock solid awesome. It gives great performance, good economy, and it just seems to telepathically know what gear you want it to be in at all times. Matt Hornback has this trans in his 1500, and he raves on and on and on about it.

The Journey has never offered any sort of low range 4wd system. It is actually built on a modified Dodge Avenger platform, with an optional AWD system being grafted on. It can work well on snowy roads, but it's not a vehicle I would consider for any sort of meaningful off-pavement driving. For the curious, this vehicle does not use the 9-spd automatic transmission; instead, most use a slightly older (but much more problem-free) 6-spd automatic.

The Liberty is just the opposite. From day one, it has been designed with off-pavement use in mind. It's 4WD systems are essentially identical to those which were used in the XJ Cherokee of yore, meaning every 4WD Liberty has a 2-spd transfer case. On topic, the only automatic ever paired to the Liberty's V6 engine was the venerable 42RLE. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with that transmission that an aftermarket fluid cooler can't fix.

HTH

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Thank you one and all. At the moment I am looking at Jeep, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty. Nissan, Exterra. Toyota, 4 runner, highlander, land cruiser (or an older Lexus). Now I have to get Joan on board because this will be her car and our highway car as I will continue to use the 95 Jeep ZJ. This will replace our Ram 2500 diesel that we used for trips and towing the 5th wheel. I feel like I am repeating myself but I have an excuse.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
A list of requirements. Must have full time 4 wheel drive. Does not need low range. Must be gasoline. Must be good for dirt roads and highway travel. Easy to get in and out of, not step down into or climb up into, We are now looking at hybrids to get good gas mileage as we want above 24 mpg on the highway. Want good space for back seat passengers. Good space for suit cases.

Rock Taco

A list of requirements. Must have full time 4 wheel drive. Does not need low range. Must be gasoline. Must be good for dirt roads and highway travel. Easy to get in and out of, not step down into or climb up into, We are now looking at hybrids to get good gas mileage as we want above 24 mpg on the highway. Want good space for back seat passengers. Good space for suit cases.

Have you considered a Honda Pilot/Ridgline? or a dodge durango? http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/pilot

boogie_4wheel

Ford Escape.
We have a first gen model (2005) with the 3.0L V6, AWD. We are 2nd owners since we got it in '05 with 25k on it (ex rental from Reno). It has 247k on it now, with nothing more than simple maintenance and upkeep. When we had our 2nd child (and #1 was going to move behind the driver's seat being me) we really considered getting a 2013-2014 Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost when they were brand new. The 2.5yo at the time and I kind of fought over leg room with each other; her car seat pushes her too far forward and I'm 6'2". I opted for the Ford Edge but my wife said if we go bigger she wants 3 rows so we ended up with a Buick Enclave. I still kind of wish we would have gotten the turboed Escape and the high 20's for mileage that came with it. And it was a quick little sucker.

Even if you go used, the ~2010 Escapes still had the 3.0L and gained a 6spd transmission vs my 4spd, and return mid 20's for economy. Shoot, I still get 22-24 on the highway. I've wheeled the snot out of ours considering what it is. Snow, sand dunes, rock crawling. It does good for what it is. It wouldn't make it up Old Ward Canyon, but we've run around in the Swell, Cottonwood Canyon, House Rock Valley, Moab, all the piles of snow in the parking lots.

I'd own another one!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
It may not fit all your requirements but a Hyundai Santa Fe is pretty close. We push 24mpg on the highway with ours with the V6. It's AWD though, front wheel drive unless the ESC kicks in or you lock it in AWD. Great Power, great MPG and very roomy and comfortable. I never thought I would love a Hyundai until I bought this car. Haven't taken it off road really but I honestly think it would do fairly well with it's decent ground clearance.