Help me decide I want a mid-size SUV

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What is the main differance between Outback and Forester.

This is a bigger question than most realize. Let's begin with the similarities. The 2.5L Forester and 2.5L Outback use the same engine, the same all-wheel drive system, have the same ground clearance, and share an essentially identical automatic transmission. Having said that, they drive surprisingly differently. Differences in suspension tuning, aerodynamics, transmission software programming, and sound insulation make them feel much more distinct than the above facts would lead you to believe.

In nearly every dimension, the Outback is larger. It is longer nose to tail, has a longer wheelbase, has more rear leg room and more cargo volume, is a little wider, and so on. The primary exception is in body height (particularly the glass area), so if your daily attire includes a 10-gallon hat then you'll probably prefer the Forester. ;)

You Jeep guys will scoff, but I must address the off-pavement capability. I already mentioned the Forester has a shorter wheelbase. It also has shorter overhangs (especially on the rear). This makes a lot of people claim the Forester has "better off road capability" than the Outback, and I would agree with them. These differences won't come in to play if you're just driving down a sandy beach, but they would definitely matter if you were driving up, say, Mineral Basin. :p

Even though Subaru insists these two models don't compete with one another, I see people walk into our store and compare them every day. Which one is better? That depends on the person. There are reasons to like either one over the other, and I'll never push anybody in any specific direction based on my own beliefs. This is why I intend to let Jack spend some time in each one, so he (and his wife) can decide which one best meets their needs.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
As you may know from the other post I bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee with the 4. I love the vehicle, steering, MPG 33.2 Hwy 22 city, ride a little stiff but better then my old ZJ, trans comes on slow but no problems, dirt roads and sand it is great with a good quiet ride on the highway too. Joan does not like color and wants something a little bigger so we are looking at a Subaru Outback with Dempsey.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
The rest of the story. We finally decided to go with the 2.5 L engine as it got better gas mileage and accelerated well enough to get us into and out of traffic. It also was a couple thousand cheaper than the 6. We got Eye Site which tells you everything going on around the vehicle and should keep this old man out of trouble. The big problem will be learning how to use everything but Dempsey has done a good of explaining everything especially all the bells and whistles. It is surprising how things I used to call gee-gaws are now a necessity. With the 50 gallon gift card from the manager Jon and a full tank of gas I should be able to go a minimum of 1380 miles before I start paying for gas. We decided on the Outback because of the added space inside, and a beautiful Blue color.
I would say that for a Subaru Dempsey is the man to see.

Thursty

We bought a '17 Outback with the 2.5 back in August and love it. Living in Wayne County and making trips to see family in Utah County, also making a trip to Green River once a month for work, it's had a few miles out on it already. We average close to 30mpg.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
My first fill up at 457 Miles. 15.6 gal of gas for 29.3 mpg This was mostly city driving so much better than I thought I would get. Went on one dirt road and thought I was in a Cadillac - Well almost. This is definitely a GP car that any kid would enjoy. I love the 18.5 gallon gas tank.