Help me pick out a new (to me) bike.

SpeedyVic

What about a CRF450X? I have ridden with a couple of people that had them. They seem to really like them. Anyone here have personal experience? A few of these have popped up on KSL.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Only concern is valves. If they tell you they have never been replaced or were recently adjusted, plan on spending some money to replace them. If you find one that has been changed with stainless steel valves you are good to go. Once you put SS valves in one, they are a very good and reliable bike.

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
What about a CRF450X? I have ridden with a couple of people that had them. They seem to really like them. Anyone here have personal experience? A few of these have popped up on KSL.

Both of my brothers have CRF450Xs and they really are nice, reliable bikes (as long as the valves have been upgraded). Compared to other 450s I've ridden, they have a heavy kind of feel to 'em, but handle well stock and are very stable in hack and whoops. The power delivery is so quick and strong right off-idle that technical, loose climbs can be difficult. Keeping the rear wheel from losing traction isn't always easy, so thats my only complaint. If they had a 6-speed tranny, that may have kept me from switching to KTMs.

If the deal was sweet enough, I wouldn't turn one down.

rholbrook

Valve issues depend on the year. They have a single cam which makes maintenance easier. Caleb had a really nice one that I rode. Honda sells a bunch of them, parts are cheap and it would make a nice bike for you. It's a 4T with lights, electric start and a battery, of course it is heavy, but it's easy to get a plate on them.

SpeedyVic

That is good to know! Thanks for all the advice and information. Keep it coming! I'm still in search mode and am waiting for some sort of settlement with the other guys insurance. My medical bills alone have topped $65k! Thank goodness for insurance and a good lawyer!

I do like the way the Honda looks! I really wish that KTM would design a bike on an aluminum frame!

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Aluminum frames are a whole other topic on whether they are good enough

This topic would make for a good thread, Ive still got some stuff to understand on frame rigidness, I think in MX (when a groomed track isnt hard pack) aluminum is probably superior, but off road you dont have the luxery of groomed soft soil and could benefit from frame flex, but what about sand and such...maybe drilled alum to achieve both like the big dogs do, but where to drill to achieve flex is a proper place without compromising integrity.

Maybe its not all that important at an Amature level.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Maybe its not all that important at an Amature level.

^^^This.
While overall bike geometry will effect how the bike behaves in many situations, suspension tuning plays a major roll in bike characteristics and handling. Setting the sag is something that most people don't do. If you bike is set up to be riding to high or to low in the stroke it will handle we'll.

Suspension set up could be a discussion of its own.

SpeedyVic

I had the rear suspension on my last 300 tuned by Tad and his team at Pro Cycle. It made a huge improvement.

Now if I get another KTM, I'm going to have to find someone that can set it up for me.

Sent from my hacked Droid tablet. How do you like them Apples?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Now if I get another KTM, I'm going to have to find someone that can set it up for me.

Mark Lundgreen with DWR in South Jordon has done a lot of work for me. He has been riding and racing for over 40 years and knows how a bike works. His prices are more than fair and has a good turnaround time.

SpeedyVic

Ok peeps, it's getting to be crunch time. I'm running into a little quandary though. So I'm looking for some educated opinions.

Would it be smarter to get a 5-6 year old bike for say $4k or a 1 year old bike for $7k? Both choices being set up equally?

Specifically, there is a 06 450 EXC for sale near me that is set up like I want. Haven't seen it up close yet, but will take the guys word as for condition.

There's also a 12 300 XCW that is for sale that is also set up like I would want. Plus it's a 2t. Haven't looked at it either.

Which should I go after? What's the smart choice?

rholbrook

Depends who has owned it. You can tell if a bike is well taken care of. In the last 5 years bikes have changed some. Engines on certain KTMs have changed, some bikes have had fuel injection added, suspensions are constantly getting tweeked(some are going to air instead of oil). If you dont have to get the latest and greatest then find you a really clean used one and put the savings into setting it up for you.

I ride an 06 WR450, in 07 the frame changed. In 12 they put FI on it and put it in a YZF250 chasis. Its still heavy and you have to toss $1,200 into it to make it really run. Not worth it and I still love my 06 and its dialed in for me. Suspension is perfect for my riding, carb is dialed in, street legal and a YZ exhaust cam. Sure, I want a new one but only so I can change the color to yellow but its not worth it to me at this point. When my son gets home from his mission, I will buy a new one.

You can take an older bike, clean it up, put plastics on it and have a great time. Last I checked, I had as much fun on my 06 WR as my friend has on his 12 WR. There are a lot of guys on here that opted for ten year old bikes and have been very happy with them. Sure, a new one would be nice but if you find a good clean one for a good deal, I wouldnt hesitate. A lot of bikes will depreciate to a point and then stop, you can always trade up in years later.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
With any used bike, it is all about how it has been taken care of. Have they been raced? If they have, don't let that scare you since bikes that have been raced usually see better and more frequent maintenance than bikes that are just trail ridden. I personally would go for the '12 300 if it fits in your price range. The 300 with the head mod done will pull down low and through the midrange like any 450 you will ever ride and is 35 pounds lighter. Plus I have a carbon fiber pipe guard that I would give you since it won't fit on my bike.

Caleb

I had the rear suspension on my last 300 tuned by Tad and his team at Pro Cycle. It made a huge improvement.

Slightly off-topic, but I learned a few weeks ago that RMATV bought Pro Cycle. That's what allowed them to begin selling OEM parts again. :)

I too would go for the '12 300. Or you could come take a look at my '08 300 :D (I don't know that I really want to sell it, but the thought keeps crossing my mind)

SpeedyVic

With any used bike, it is all about how it has been taken care of. Have they been raced? If they have, don't let that scare you since bikes that have been raced usually see better and more frequent maintenance than bikes that are just trail ridden. I personally would go for the '12 300 if it fits in your price range. The 300 with the head mod done will pull down low and through the midrange like any 450 you will ever ride and is 35 pounds lighter. Plus I have a carbon fiber pipe guard that I would give you since it won't fit on my bike.

I feel the same way about a bike that has been raced. I would feel much more comfortable buying one from a avid racer than I would from someone I didn't know that didn't ever race. I know a lot of racers that would make their families sleep outside during a race weekend so that their bike could sleep inside!

Slightly off-topic, but I learned a few weeks ago that RMATV bought Pro Cycle. That's what allowed them to begin selling OEM parts again. :)

I too would go for the '12 300. Or you could come take a look at my '08 300 :D (I don't know that I really want to sell it, but the thought keeps crossing my mind)

Yes, Tad Goimaric (sp?) owned Pro-Cycle. Rocky Mountain made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Tad actually used to rent the basement of our plumbing shop up here in Logan when he first started wrenching on his own. Cycles and Sleds was where I used to take all my stuff back in the day! He knows his stuff!

Caleb, I would love to buy your bike if the price was right! Think really hard!

are they both local? I'd try to ride both and see which one speaks to you.

The 450 is local. Going to go see it this weekend. The 300 is 3 hours away and may already be sold. :(

Renegade Sports is having some sort of liquidation sale on their remaining KTMs. Making room for the 2013 models. I'm half tempted to go check it out.

Caleb

Caleb, I would love to buy your bike if the price was right! Think really hard!

Send me what you feel is a fair price. :)

Renegade Sports is having some sort of liquidation sale on their remaining KTMs. Making room for the 2013 models. I'm half tempted to go check it out.

It'd be interesting to see what they have left, but I'd be surprised if it's anything worthwhile. Considering all of KTMs popular models (all 2Ts, 450s, 250s, etc) were all sold-out before they were even on dealer floors.

SpeedyVic

Send me what you feel is a fair price. :)

It'd be interesting to see what they have left, but I'd be surprised if it's anything worthwhile. Considering all of KTMs popular models (all 2Ts, 450s, 250s, etc) were all sold-out before they were even on dealer floors.

How is your bike setup? Weight of rider? Mods? Parts?

I was wrong about Renegade. It is their 2013 line they are selling.

RENEGADE SPORTS IS LAUNCHING A KTM PRE-SEASON SALE ON ALL 2013 MODELS.

HERE IS A CUURENT LIST OF AVAILABLE UNITS

50SX......$3599

65SX......$4199

250SXF....$6999

250XC.....$7499

250XCW....$7499

300XC.....$7699 **HOT DEAL**

300XCW....$7699 **HOT DEAL**

350SXF....$7699

350XCF....$7999

350XCFW...$7999

450SXF....$7899 **HOT DEAL**

450XCW....$8499

450XCF....$8499

500XCW....$8699

350EXCF...$8599 **STREET LEGAL**

500EXC....$8899 **STREET LEGAL**

ACT FAST, THESE UNITS WILL NOT LAST LONG.

435-753-4493

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
All this talk of a new bike is making me have the itch to upgrade to a newer bike. I was thinking of putting the LS1/4L60e I have lying around in my TJ, but am now thinking of selling it and my '08 300xc to get a newer bike.

Thanks......now my wife is pissed.:busted:

SpeedyVic

All this talk of a new bike is making me have the itch to upgrade to a newer bike. I was thinking of putting the LS1/4L60e I have lying around in my TJ, but am now thinking of selling it and my '08 300xc to get a newer bike.

Thanks......now my wife is pissed.:busted:

Start your own thread and we will all help you out with your decision! :thumbs: