Help me pick out a new (to me) bike.

Caleb

How is your bike setup? Weight of rider? Mods? Parts?

To Start, it's a super low hours 08 300XC (I don't have a counter, but I'd estimate 80ish hours total). Right now I have it setup for me, 220lbs. I haven't done anything with the forks, so they may be a little light. I also have the stock rear spring and the previous owner was a lightweight, so I also have a light racetech spring (I can get the exact model number if you want). What I've done to it includes:

Rekluse EXP 2.0 (I can remove this and put a new clutch and plates in if you'd prefer a stock setup)
Highway Dirtbikes Handguards
3.7 Gal IMS Desert tank (also have the stock tank)
Trail Tech X2 Torch Offroad Halogen headlight
Stock and KTM Performance Seats (performance seat is a shorter seat)
JD Jetting kit
Pro Taper KX High bend bars
ODI removable grips
MSR Extended throttle cable (a must on the 300s)

I'm sure there is some other stuff I'm forgetting (as I remember more, I'll add more). If you want to take a look at it, I'll be around all weekend.

I was wrong about Renegade. It is their 2013 line they are selling.

That street legal 500 would be a sweet bike. :D

Last edited:

SpeedyVic

I was just gathering some info to drop off to my attorney on Monday. Thought I would share some photos:

IMAG0199.jpgIMAG0200.jpgIMAG0201.jpgIMAG0202.jpg

This is what is in my leg/foot.

rholbrook

Caleb is pretty anal about the care of his toys. I personally would buy anything Caleb has owned. I got to ride his old Husky one weekend after he busted his foot. I have not ridden his 300 yet but I also rode his old 450.

sixstringsteve

If I had the funds, I would own Caleb bike in a second. Sadly the funds just aren't there. I would love that bike, but I wouldn't ride it as hard or as often as it deserves to be ridden.

SpeedyVic

I met Josh and Caleb and looked at their bikes today. Great guys to speak with and both had great bikes! I want them both! (The bikes, that is!:D) Why can't I be rich?

rholbrook

This weekend I spent a little seat time on a KTM 350 XCFW. My initial thoughts were it was very smooth but really lacked the hit of a 450. It was fast and smooth, just really no hit to it. The power seemed to be in the higher RPM range. The fuel injection was spot on and really added to the smoothness. The saddle was typical KTM. It was in real need of some bar risers. It feels heavier than the 10 pounds they claim over the KTM 300 XCW but it does feel much lighter than my WR450.

I personally wouldn't want one. For those guys that don't like 450s but a 250 is not enough, this would be a great bike. It would go anywhere a 450 would go with ease.

Its totally different than a 300 oil burner. The 300 is like trying to drink out of a fire hydrant when you twist the throttle but big bore 2 strokes are like that. Mill the head on a 300 and it makes that transition from lugging around to full throttle a little easier to work with. Its hard to not like the weight on a 300

My friend who just bought this 350 loves it. Saturday was his first ride on it. We rode the Dead Cow/Tubes loop counter clockwise and he did it with ease. In December we did it on his 2012 KTM 300 XCW and he struggled on the 300 with no ice. They were both set up with Rekluses and left hand brakes. He really struggled with the power delivery on the smoker. He hated it, couldn't ride it very well but on the 350, he really took control of it. In our group Saturday we had a four KTMS, a 530, 525, 300 and 350, three WR 450s and a few other smaller bikes.

The most impressive bike on the ride was a CRF150R Expert with a Rekluse. My friends 11 yr old son rode it and the only bike that could beat him up one of the dunes in the White Wash area was the KTM 300 XCW. The bike is fast to begin with but the clutch makes it very ridable.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good to know about the KTM 350 XCFW! I'm jealous you spent some time on one.

Were the Dead Cow Wash & Tubes clear of ice?

Tonkaman

That's a great review. I'm surprised by your thoughts considering all the hype I've heard about that bike. It's always better to hear it from someone who has ridden several bikes

rholbrook

The ice is still on Dead Cow. It sounds hollow because the water is lower than the ice. I would hate to be the one trying it when it breaks. Based on temperatures, I wouldn't think it will last more than another week or so.

Let me look to see if my friends GO PRO was turned on. My 12 yr old wore mine and he recorded other parts of the ride Saturday.

On the Tubes, ice was broken and there was 12" to 18" of water in it.

I do have a GPX file I can send you that shows where the start of it is. When I had the ALL TRAILS App turned I had ridden past where you drop down into it.

I think we are going again in two weeks if you want to join.

SpeedyVic

Well, I finally got me a bike. Will be picking it up on Monday after work. A friend of mine made me a good deal on a 07 300 XCW with only 52 hours on the meter. Pretty excited to get back out to the desert!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, and all of the information you have provided in this and other discussions!

D

Deleted member 12904

Well, I finally got me a bike. Will be picking it up on Monday after work. A friend of mine made me a good deal on a 07 300 XCW with only 52 hours on the meter. Pretty excited to get back out to the desert!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, and all of the information you have provided in this and other discussions!

Awesome!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SpeedyVic

I really wish I could go ride next weekend. I have a nephew in Vegas getting married. I'd much rather be out riding.

Sent from the Outer Limits via Android.