Hole in the Rock trail - March

DAA

Can anyone identify this camp spot? View attachment 71111

It's not Big Alcove, it is further along the trail. I'll see if I can dig up some coords for it and get them to you. Nice view of Navajo Mountain from that camp.

IMG_3146.jpg

- DAA

DAA

Just sent you a PM with the particulars. We made it that far in one day, starting by catching the ferry from Bullfrog that morning. At what I would call a pretty relaxed pace. We stopped a lot on the way in to take pictures, eye up obstacles etc. But, we only had three rigs. I think it is realistic with ten rigs, but if you have too much in the way of unexpected delay, you might find yourselves pushing it the last couple of hours.

The last time I did HITR, again with three rigs, we camped on the east side of the washout on the old route, backtracked to start on the new route, took a side trip all the way to the washout again from the west side, backtracked again to the new route, took it all the way to the end at Cheese Camp, found it too crowded for our tastes and backtracked a couple miles to camp in solitude, all in one day. Never felt like we were pushing it or rushing, but it was a loooong day in the saddle.

- DAA

Caleb

Is it unrealistic to try to get from the airport to this campsite in one day? (with 10 rigs)

When we did the trail, we camped at nearly the end. We were at a pretty slow pace too. We were on the trail all day long and stopped a few times to look around and at the historical areas. Now we had two motorcycles and three 4x4s (I think it was three)...so 10 may be a different story.

sixstringsteve

due to the size of our group, we will put the more experienced/bigger rigs at the front, and the slower, newer drivers at the back. Out of common courtesy, we will request that after 3 attempts, you're done and you take the easy line. If the first 5 rigs take 8 attempts up the "hard" line, that means an extra 30-50 min of the people in the back waiting for their turn to get up it. If you really want to try all the hard stuff, I don't mind, we'll just put you at the back of the pack where it won't slow anyone else down. We'll try to keep the pack moving at a good pace. It shouldn't be too tough as long as everyone agrees to try to get over an obstacle quickly and efficiently rather than impressing everyone with 20 attempts at the "expert" line. I hate to add these limitations, but with a group this big there's no way we'd get through the trail in time otherwise.

I also assume everyone's rig is plenty capable and has been tested before we get way out there. Accidents and trail breaks happen, but I hope everyone has at least had their rig out on a trail in the past 6 months.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
We should also have one capable rig/experienced driver tail gunning, maybe one with a winch in the rear as well just in case. At least that way if a recovery needs to be made we have options.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I have no issues being a tail gunner. I do have a winch and rarely need a spotter except on really difficult lines. I'll make sure my CB is working 100%. Unless someone else really wants to, I'll be your huckleberry.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Nice Brandon, I'll have my own full tool set on this one. You need a Jeep by every toyota so you have some power to pull you out.

I'm only kidding my Toyota is currently on jack stands. I dented my drive shaft, and broke some teeth of my rear diff on the weekend trip. Hopefully all goes well and I get back on the road by Thursday for this trip.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm only kidding my Toyota is currently on jack stands. I dented my drive shaft, and broke some teeth of my rear diff on the weekend trip. Hopefully all goes well and I get back on the rode by Thursday for this trip.

I'm only sort of kidding:D Hopefully all goes well and you get her up and going in time.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Just a couple quick questions.

Does anyone have a speed limitiation on their rig? I know we are all driving trail rigs down there so we aren't going to be doing 90 but I just thought it would be nice to know in advance if somebodies rig is limited to anything really slow.

Who does and does not have a CB? Just something to keep in mind for the trip down as well as when wheeling so we can maybe spread the people without in between those with one.

And then just some basic trail etiquette tips that probably don't need to be said but I will anyway.

Always keep the person in front of you as well as the person behind you in view as much as feasable anyway. Make sure to communicate any issues that would prevent this. We really don't want to leave anyone behind, also another huge no no.

Obviously pack it in pack it out but also pack out anything you find that you didn't pack in. It only takes a couple seconds to stop, jump out and grab some garbage.

Steve has already stated the three try rule, very important to keep things moving. Swallow your pride if needed, nobody here is judging you, we just want to have a good time.

Don't attempt an obstacle until the vehicle in front of you has cleared it. Especially important for any climbs/down hill stuff.

If using a spotter, listen to your spotter he is there for a reason and only one person spotting at a time.

And no alcohol on the trail. I drink beer but not until I'm done for the day. I absolutely will not wheel with people who drink and wheel.

Most importantly just be safe and have fun. There is no reason for anyone to get hurt out there, just use your common sense.

Not really sure if any of this really needed to be said but I guess better to say it anyway. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you who I haven't wheeled with yet, and getting back out with those that I have and finally getting out for an awesome trail. Alright I think I'm done with my plug for now. I think alot of this should probably be repeated before we head on the trail as it is for everyones benefit, I am a big advocate of safety. Ok I'm really done now.

sixstringsteve

I have personally wheeled with 8 of the 12 drivers. Of those 8, 6 of them are very experienced and I'm not worried about the other 2. None of the 8 have egos or anything to prove, and they'll have no problem taking the easy lines.

I've never wheeled with Westernhunter, redred92, or Jeffe03 but they all seem pretty well seasoned and I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two from them. My friend David from work is a total noob, but he is one of the most laid-back guys you could meet. He's not going to be a problem, aside from his lack of experience wheeling. But with 11 seasoned wheelers on the trail, it should go pretty quick.

If you'd rather drive down on your own, you can go straight to Fry Canyon Ruins rd. Thurs night and wait for us there. Just know there's a small chance we can't end up camping there, and we'll have to go down the road another 30-45 min.

Last edited: