Hole in the Rock trail - March

sixstringsteve

I'm waiting on Eric and Cody's pictures, but I plan to get the trip report done tonight. The video won't be done for a few days, but we'll get the report up soon.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Awesome Steve. I'd start one but I know you are better at including all the good details and I know you'll do a much better job than I would.

sixstringsteve

I dont know about that. You're welcome to take a stab at it if you'd like to practice. We need Sami to write our trip report, he is a master.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I think Steve's go-pro is cursed... every time he attaches it to my rig I mess up. First time at the training run in Jan. he put it on and I get stuck on a sand hill. This time he put it on while I climbed that same ledge as TJDukit above and mashed the throttle too hard a banged the bottom about 5 times after I got up the ledge. (I imagine that'll probably make the highlights, huh, Steve?). I was pretty frustrated because I thought my driving was better than what I had just done. The next morning on the drive out, my daughter commented that my control was much better than the day before. Then it hit me, the day before I was wearing my heavy duty hiking boots and the next morning I was wearing my soft shoes. 5 lb hiking boots don't offer much in the way of subtle throttle movements.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it...

sixstringsteve

That was a tough ledge. Don't forget that Brian also has 35s and a lot of time behind the wheel. He really demonstrated the proper way to bump it.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
That was an awesome trip and better company. I would wheel with any of you anytime. Can't wait to see some video and pictures. I think this may be one of the first times there are good pictures of me wheeling.

I have pretty much the same picture eric got but here's this one

Brian.jpg

sixstringsteve

...after looking at them none are terribly exciting

You have some killer pics Josh, thanks for sharing them with me. Most of them will make it into the trip report.

The trip report is coming along... I've written the text up to Grey Mesa on Friday afternoon. Thanks for your patience everyone, I should have it posted by tomorrow night. It was such a great trip that I want to do the trip report justice.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Hey Eric I want to mention one more thing. Like Steve said I have a lot of time behind the wheel. I have no doubt that anything I did out there I would have done on the stock 32" tires. Your rig is set up great right now as it is. I don't want to sound like I'm full of myself but I have been wheeling like this for a few years. I am not as good as a lot of people here and I know I still have a lot to learn. You mentioned that you had never done any kind of wheeling like that before and you and Jessica did a great job and I promise nobody on the outside looking in would be able to tell you were new to this. Actually if you had never said that I would have never known.

I say wheel that thing until the tires can't take it anymore. Then upgrade to what your lift you already have will allow without cutting and doing any further modifications(unless of course you want to). But that is a brand new Jeep and I would think that it's main purpose is not to do the most extreme trails you can think of. By the time the tires you have right now are toast...as long as you wheel it a few times and try push your comfort level while staying within your limits you will learn what kind of capabilities you want to have.

The first time I wheeled mine on stock tires I was seriously impressed and knew I really didn't need to upgrade to be able to push the limits(which I did), but I have never been one to leave well enough alone.

Before you know it you will be doing trails with built rigs(which you already have) and doing the same obstacles if you want to. If you can just make it out to all the RME training days, out there you can push it a little further each time while staying safe and keeping your rig safe. There are so many obstacles out there that you can find the extreme limits of yourself and your rig if you want to push it.